2011-12 MLB Offseason Thread

Lowerdeck

Yeah, was going to say that the Illitch's have quite a bit of cash, and with his age he's really opened the pocket book because he badly wants a World Series title.

I love it by the way, I was hoping they'd pursue Fielder but most of the early reports were that Detroit wasn't interested. Hell, a week ago Dave Dombrowski said Fielder wasn't a good fit. It is cool to see Cecil's son sign here, Cecil was a fan favorite in his days here.

Given Baltimore's timeline how would Prince have made sense with that investment? Even if those young pitchers magically figure things out they're still a couple years away, probably more than that. What's the point of paying Prince for productive years where you're not a contender and then likely dramatic decline years while you're hoping to be one? The Tigers can justify this move on the basis that they're probably going to run away with the Central now. The O's definitely could not have said the same. I thought the Rangers made the most sense and figured he'd go there, and I definitely think this is going to be a contract that the Tigers regret signing by 2016, but for now I get it.

Yeah, was going to say that the Illitch's have quite a bit of cash, and with his age he's really opened the pocket book because he badly wants a World Series title.

I love it by the way, I was hoping they'd pursue Fielder but most of the early reports were that Detroit wasn't interested. Hell, a week ago Dave Dombrowski said Fielder wasn't a good fit. It is cool to see Cecil's son sign here, Cecil was a fan favorite in his days here.

Yeah Mike is the one who made this call I feel. I don't know if Dombrowski really wanted to sign this deal. Either way I am very happy about this. Our lineup is really solid. Happy Cabrera agreed to move to 3rd. So tired of Brandon Inge thinking he is this great baseball player.

Given Baltimore's timeline how would Prince have made sense with that investment? Even if those young pitchers magically figure things out they're still a couple years away, probably more than that. What's the point of paying Prince for productive years where you're not a contender and then likely dramatic decline years while you're hoping to be one? The Tigers can justify this move on the basis that they're probably going to run away with the Central now. The O's definitely could not have said the same. I thought the Rangers made the most sense and figured he'd go there, and I definitely think this is going to be a contract that the Tigers regret signing by 2016, but for now I get it.

Baltimore is the 4th best team in that division. Yankees, Blue Jays, and Red Sox are all better. Baltimore has to build up their team with younger players and in about 4 years they may be able to justify a big splash in free agency.

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall he usually had Jerry Narron out with him and such but he left for a new job and I don't know if he has that support. I think Josh will pull through, he had a relapse about 3 years ago too. He's drug tested 3 times a week. If he passes his drug tests and isn't drunk all the time I think he'll still be a Ranger for life.

The Yankees are talking to the Pirates about a deal to send them AJ Burnett.

I imagine in return they'll get Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez and half the revenue PNC Park generates next season.

The Yankees are talking to the Pirates about a deal to send them AJ Burnett.

I imagine in return they'll get Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez and half the revenue PNC Park generates next season.

That's not enough for AJ. That's the type of deal they would get for Kei Igawa :shifty:

The Orioles are an interested third party in the deal and they're going to donate all memoriabilia of Babe Ruth's youth (including the field at Cardinal Gibbons high school where he learned to play), half their minor league teams, and the rest of their fans in exchange for cash considerations and a plaque thanking them for making the deal possible.

If the Yanks eat 80-90% of AJ's salary and ask for nothing more than Garrett Jones, I don't see why the Pirates wouldn't be takers. It's a great pitchers park, and AJ notoriously shit the bed in a high pressure market. Pittsburgh might be a good place for him to go and the Pirates can add a guy who might get back to being a great 3 starter, decent 2 in a better environment.