Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

11 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Another Steam sale means another post of me asking @NaiTEOL de la reversiónif he's played We. The Revolution yet, since it's once again discounted.

I did play it! A bit. I liked it but I don't think it fully realises its potential. Still a good game though.

7 hours ago, MadJack said:

This game is amazing, for the record. Thanks for the recommendation! Dying at the Westcountry accents.

I've got mine coming on Christmas (for Switch) and I'm extremely excited. 

If DQXI is your speed I highly recommend DQV. It's probably my favorite of the franchise and one of my favorite 16-bit JRPGs. Might feel like too far a step back (you're sort of just coming into this genre, no?) but definitely give it a look if you have the time and a couple bucks to spend on it.

Wait, apparently it's not on Steam. Android/iOS versions are available though.

All part of Nvidia's new slogan: "The ONLY WAY you are allowed to play >:("

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Good job generating those headlines for your product Nvidia

51 minutes ago, BayOROnetta said:

All part of Nvidia's new slogan: "The ONLY WAY you are allowed to play >:("

For the lay person, what does this mean?

15 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

For the lay person, what does this mean?

Nvidia sends out review samples to lots of different outlets like a lot of tech companies do (Intel, AMD etc etc), including Hardware Unboxed. However in this instance Nvidia is demanding HU change their editorial focus from rasterization and onto raytracing, which the new Nvidia cards do really well.

Because HU doesn't do that - and objectively, focussing on RT is dumb as only like three games even have at the moment - Nvidia is no longer sending them review samples, again, unless they change their editorial stance.

It's almost "give us a good review or we won't send you shit any more", but not quite. Still got quite a few people annoyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, metalman said:

I still don't really understand this. Is ray tracing basically about reflections? So it's like accurately showing the reflection of a mirror in a mirror?

I'm not sure if that's right. I've never even heard of rasterisation.

Ray tracing is a rendering technique that can produce incredibly realistic lighting effects. There's some maths involved that means it shows light better than the old methods that had less good maths. Rasterisation is part of that less good maths - it's a method of displaying 3d objects on a 2d screen. Polygons and all that.

Focusing on ray tracing is silly at this point because only 3 games actually use it, but it makes Nvidia look good so they want everyone to talk about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

So which of those games are worth picking up?

I played: 

• The Long Dark: a great survival game. Think of the Day Z's and Rusts of the world, but a solo single player experience with a crafted narrative and survival mode. I played maybe 10-15 hours on PC and enjoyed it. 
  • Defense Grid 1: Great tower defense game. However, I believe I paid next to nothing for it on Steam. Free is free, but I cannot imagine it would be more than $5.00 on Steam.
  • Inside: I watched my better half play this game. Enjoyable! It is a cinematic platformer that is creepy. 
  • Darkest Dungeon: The game I spent the most time with. Really incredible game. High recommendations from me! It is a roguelike dungeon crawling RPG. You have a team of players you level up and gain experience. There is permadeath. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed Jurassic World Evolution. Its not necessarily the greatest game ever and it relies heavily on the product license but I think it does a good job for what it is.