Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

How in the name of sweet holy FUCK do people play MOBAs?

A friend who knows I get super frustrated by League told me to get in on the Dawngate BETA - so I did and I just played my first match tonight. If you told me that it was just League, I wouldn't have had any idea - it, like all of the other MOBAs that I have played feel almost the exact same on the surface. I love how solid the games look and I love the general idea of them but god DAMN.

I understand the basic roles, Dawngate makes that even easier. But there's too many variables for me to just enjoy playing - what do I buy and when do I buy it, what abilities do I level up first, when to retreat and when to use what abilities - and then I have to try and keep in mind how these variables change based off where I am playing and who is on the other team - and the other players expect me to know this right from the start, and to know where people playing certain characters want or need me to go. And that's just if I am in a game with decent people. Then I have to wonder if other people are going to play THEIR roles right and if they don't, how am I supposed to compensate for that?

Holy christ. I don't even. I played a 50 minute game tonight that I knew our team was going to lose by minute 10.

A friend who knows I get super frustrated by League told me to get in on the Dawngate BETA - so I did and I just played my first match tonight. If you told me that it was just League, I wouldn't have had any idea - it, like all of the other MOBAs that I have played feel almost the exact same on the surface. I love how solid the games look and I love the general idea of them but god DAMN.

I understand the basic roles, Dawngate makes that even easier. But there's too many variables for me to just enjoy playing - what do I buy and when do I buy it, what abilities do I level up first, when to retreat and when to use what abilities - and then I have to try and keep in mind how these variables change based off where I am playing and who is on the other team - and the other players expect me to know this right from the start, and to know where people playing certain characters want or need me to go. And that's just if I am in a game with decent people. Then I have to wonder if other people are going to play THEIR roles right and if they don't, how am I supposed to compensate for that?

Holy christ. I don't even. I played a 50 minute game tonight that I knew our team was going to lose by minute 10.

All of that comes from playing experience. In League, I was fumbling around with roles/abilities/items until around level 15 or 20, but that was because I was too stubborn to start looking at guides and the like. But with guides? Makes your life a whole lot easier.

All of that comes from playing experience. In League, I was fumbling around with roles/abilities/items until around level 15 or 20, but that was because I was too stubborn to start looking at guides and the like. But with guides? Makes your life a whole lot easier.

Adding to this I only got good at League because of two things. 1) PLAY FUCKING SUPPORT TO LEARN THE FUCKING GAME and 2) I played with my friends who are Gold so I got matched against a lot of Bronze/Silver/Gold players and was able to see very quickly how the game is played in real-time.

And, yes, guides are super important as well.

Yeah as long as my ADC gets fed I have a lot of freedom endgame to switch to AP (usually). I don't like how one can only place 3 wards at a time, but because of it I have a lot more freedom in endgame.

Now if only top and mid took a Warding Trinket on the regular we'd be good....

Oh man...late game Sona with some AP items (deathcap or lich bane) is fucking deadly. Q, into power cord? Any squishy is now at half health.

Also! I am a badass warder. Every time I go back, I usually buy 1-3 wards. And my first or second back I grab a pink and stick it in the jungle (100g to get a kill or to prevent a gank. Worth).

Yeah I Sona main, and late game with Rabadon's and Zhonya's is just unfair. Sometimes I don't have a great ADC and so I don't rack up the gold and exp as quickly as I need to make the switch for endgame.

I need to keep putting the pink ward in the jungle, one of the things I do not do.

Soraka and Janna are also OP when you make the late game switch.

Yeah I Sona main, and late game with Rabadon's and Zhonya's is just unfair. Sometimes I don't have a great ADC and so I don't rack up the gold and exp as quickly as I need to make the switch for endgame.

I need to keep putting the pink ward in the jungle, one of the things I do not do.

Yeah, get a pink and put it right in your tri.

I used to support main (usually Sona....she is my leader in ranked games at the moment), then when I joined my ranked team I switched to top lane...with no real main. I go in 'flavor of the week' kinda champion swings. It went something like Sion -> Rumble -> Cho -> Riven -> Renekton -> Irellia -> Yasuo -> Rengar -> Kha'Zix -> Gangplank.

I go back to Riven quite a bit.

I used to support main (usually Sona....she is my leader in ranked games at the moment), then when I joined my ranked team I switched to top lane...with no real main. I go in 'flavor of the week' kinda champion swings. It went something like Sion -> Rumble -> Cho -> Riven -> Renekton -> Irellia -> Yasuo -> Rengar -> Kha'Zix -> Gangplank.

Men do often enjoy putting their pink in a ladies tri.

If you haven't already you should give Vi a go. My current favourite champ.

My last 5 games:

qEykUaQ.png

Depends who you talk to.

The community for League is notoriously awful, and there's a very established meta that you do not want to break under any circumstances, but it's got a much smoother learning curve than Dota. It's a tough game to break into with the different styles of champions, roles, and everything else to go along with it. Fortunately there are very defined roles in ranked games and that tends to carry over to normals, so you can get a good grasp of what to do by playing support and learning that way.

Dota 2 has a marginally better community but a learning cliff. Also there is much less of an established meta, sometimes you'll see insanity like 3 top laners or 2 mids or something equally ridiculous. Not an established meta means a whole lot more to learn and its much more based on your proficiency with a particular champion than proficiency with an entire role. Usually people's ceilings in Dota is a lot lower than their ceiling in League, that is they reach a certain point and that's just as good as they will be forever.

But as my good friend once put it. If you can make it out of a Halo or Call of Duty community sane then a MOBA community is a walk in the park. So don't let the negativity really affect your viewpoint early on. A lot of veterans and smurfs expect you to go in knowing all the champs off the bat, and there's no amount of guides that will help you in the real thing until you play as them. Honestly a guide is more effective after you play as them on an ARAM or normal blind to start. Then you get a better frame of reference for the information the guide contains.

A lot of people are curious on how Heroes of the Storm will be, but at this point League has a stranglehold on the genre with Dota still very popular but lagging behind.

The only reason I gave Dawngate a shot is because it feels a little bit more simplified (the map at the moment only has two lanes) - in both the way that it looks to play and the way that the mechanics are kind of laid out to you. But it's in BETA right now, only playable from Thursday-Sunday and I assume (this is only my first week) it's going to be constantly changing as they try to balance out some of the ridiculous shit.

But yeah - League has left a terrible taste in my mouth so I think I'm just going to ride the Dawngate wave and see where that takes me.

I don't care for DOTA, personally.

Also? By accident I put 12-14 hours into Rust in the past two days. My friends and I have made a wood mansion. It's wonderful. One of my friends also was talking to someone, and I snuck up behind him and blasted him with my shotgun.

...and I guess there are some zombies or something.