Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Looking at getting a new desktop but want to check how it will run certain games before buying it. Does anyone know a place that does checks like that similar to System Requirements Lab that uses manual hardware entry?

Alternatively, maybe someone can tell me how decent this is for £470 with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows 8.1 pre-installed, and how well it would run games like Football Manager and Civ, and more graphics intensive games like Skyrim or GTA. I'm pretty clueless on hardware.

Brand Fierce PC

Item Weight 10 Kg

Manufacturer reference BA-12GPCW8-W

Processor Brand AMD

Processor Type Athlon

Processor Speed 3.90 GHz

Processor Socket FM2

Processor Count 4

RAM Size 16 GB

Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Size 1 TB

Hard Disk Technology SATA

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-600

Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM

Optical Drive Type DVD/CD

Hardware Platform PC

Operating System Windows 8.1 Standard 64-Bit

Doesn't seem like a bad build, but the bottlenecks will be the SATA HDD and 16 GB of RAM. I'd personally pick a SSD over more RAM, but do what ya gotta do for the budget.

Edit: GAIMZ! Hearthstone is actually very well put together on an iPhone 6. Looks good, runs smoothly, only issue I had was signing into Battle.net for the first time and I suspect that was due to traffic. Probably gonna be my go-to CCG game instead of Supercard or NBA All Net.

• Like 1

It's a pre-built machine, I just went browsing on Amazon cause I just don't have the wherewithal to build one myself.

Do you have a shop that can do it for you?

When I got my PC last year I went to Memory Express, told them my budget, and they made me a gaming PC in about 3-4 days.

• Like 1

Damn, I thought that was out on iOS ages ago.

It was out on iPad this time last year and Android tablets a few months ago. Yesterday marked its released on Android and iPhone. I downloaded it but I haven't had a chance to play it, but from what I've seen of it running on a 6+ it seems like it runs pretty good.

It's a pre-built machine, I just went browsing on Amazon cause I just don't have the wherewithal to build one myself.

I built my last machine from scratch. About the only thing I struggled with was wiring everything to the power supply. I find that sort of thing really rewarding! Computer parts these days are so much "this part can only go one way" that so long as you put the risers on the case it's really hard to mess it up. You should give it a try next time! You'll get a kick out of it, I think :)

• Like 2

Putting a pc together is really easy. If you get stuck you can always look on Youtube for "how to install Ram" or whatever you get stuck on. I built my first machine from scratch in 2005 and have been upgrading and building new builds ever since.

It's all very similar once you've done it once too so you can help friends or upgrade if you need to. My latest upgrade I installed a modular power supply and a second graphics card and although I'd done neither before it really is just a case of putting something in the only place it can go.

• Like 1

It's scary in so much as 'OMG this cost me so much better not balls it up' but the actual doing it really isn't hard at all.

Alternatively over here most proper pc shop places that stock parts will put it together for you for like $70. Still generally much cheaper and better than buying pre-made which to me often seems to be there way of unloading old stock or putting one good component with total shit (especially PSU) to entice people who aren't confident/knowledgeable.

• Like 2

Looking at getting a new desktop but want to check how it will run certain games before buying it. Does anyone know a place that does checks like that similar to System Requirements Lab that uses manual hardware entry?

Alternatively, maybe someone can tell me how decent this is for £470 with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows 8.1 pre-installed, and how well it would run games like Football Manager and Civ, and more graphics intensive games like Skyrim or GTA. I'm pretty clueless on hardware.

Brand Fierce PC

Item Weight 10 Kg

Manufacturer reference BA-12GPCW8-W

Processor Brand AMD

Processor Type Athlon

Processor Speed 3.90 GHz

Processor Socket FM2

Processor Count 4

RAM Size 16 GB

Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Size 1 TB

Hard Disk Technology SATA

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-600

Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM

Optical Drive Type DVD/CD

Hardware Platform PC

Operating System Windows 8.1 Standard 64-Bit

Looks pretty similar to my build, which runs those games you mentioned on high graphical settings just fine (Except GTA, which I haven't tried).

Only difference with mine is what was said above. 8gb of RAM and an SSD.

• Like 1

Get yourself a small SSD for windows and essential programs and a bigger hard driver for all your other stuff.

If you build one yourself make sure you shop around and see what deals you can get. I just put my pc specs (or as close as possible) into PCPartPicker: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hLBrf7 and it churns out £1,350 without me entering my monitors or it giving a price 2 my external hard drives and keyboard. No way I paid that much for my build...

• Like 5