Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Assuming it runs them smoothly with those high graphics and there's no sacrifice of speed or skipping or the such?

If I were to build one myself, I'd be right to go for similar but choose an SSD?

I'm not hugely up on the technical side of things (my friend helped me choose my build in accordance with my budget, which was similar to the cost of your machine).

I've got a GeForce GFX card, which has a programme that will automatically set your games at the recommended GFX level for your machine. It always sets mine to near enough the highest possible, and they're always playable. I do occasionally turn them down slightly for certain games, Final Fantasy XIV for example, just to maintain reasonably high fps even at times when the load is higher.

I've had no real issues at all. I've gone back and played a lot of "older" games like Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider, and they run on the highest settings. Skyrim defaults to Ultra - though I haven't played it enough to know if I would need to knock it down slightly.

I doubt that it would run the absolute newest games on the highest settings (GTA, for example), but I think my machine would run it on decent - high settings.

FM and Civ, which i believe are mostly processor dependent, run smoothly. I tend to run about 10 nations on FM, with all of their leagues loaded, and it flies through the days pretty quickly. I'm sure it could comfortably handle twice that.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind
  • Like 1

Excellent, that's the kind of stuff I was after. I suppose even if I start off with a cheaper build, I can always improve it if I learn to put it together myself. Think I'll have a shot at it.

That's what I plan on doing. My old PC was pre built, and didn't leave much room for upgrading. This one, I wil be easily able to upgrade it part by part (once I actually bother to read up on how to do it!).

My biggest issue is that I have like a....64GB SSD as my C Drive, and sooooo many programs dump shit on it without my say-so, and an INFURIATING number of programs install shit into my C drive DESPITE me installing the program into my RAID array. I dunno if I should have/it was possible to make my boot drive different to this default one, but this is rather annoying.

It's a pre-built machine, I just went browsing on Amazon cause I just don't have the wherewithal to build one myself.

I built my last machine from scratch. About the only thing I struggled with was wiring everything to the power supply. I find that sort of thing really rewarding! Computer parts these days are so much "this part can only go one way" that so long as you put the risers on the case it's really hard to mess it up. You should give it a try next time! You'll get a kick out of it, I think :)

I've done two custom builds. I'll never buy a desktop from a store again.

I bought a decent premade with a nice processor and lots of RAM and then upgraded only a couple of months ago with the new GTX 960 and a new power supply and I can play just about anything I want on high settings. Only thing that holds me back in some cases is the processor.

I finally found time to play Episode 2 of Life is strange. Such a beautiful game. It has it´s slow moments were you could actually finish it really fast if you don´t explore and talk to everyone and there might be one or two flaws with Maxs psyche but overall the only thing lacking right now to make this a legit 60$ full price title would be AAA visuals. It´s still beautiful, but a little more polygons for the plants, other surroundings and character models would be awesome.

Very much looking forward to Episode 3. Sould be out in 3 weeks or something like that, i think they gave a 6 Weeks per episode timeframe.

And The music. <3

https://open.spotify.com/user/lillytalent/playlist/0fjWB1aeXB0RVCIw9tV0Vz

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/indie-legends-bundle/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=bundle+indielegends

£3.19 for a bunch of Steam games including Speedrunners. Now you can play this racing platformer with me, Meacon and Midget!*

*You will likely never player with any of us

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/indie-legends-bundle/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=bundle+indielegends

£3.19 for a bunch of Steam games including Speedrunners. Now you can play this racing platformer with me, Meacon and Midget!*

*You will likely never player with any of us

I just remembered Steam was a thing, so I'll be on and ready to play some more around the end of May. I still want to play more 7 Days to Die. :(

Last 24 hours I think. Weird move, can't say I'm keen, but my opinion on it probably depends on the level of compensation creators and publishers get. I do love free mods, but I can totally understand people putting in a lot of hard work to mod games and desiring compensation for their time and effort. Trouble is that Steam lets any old shit through with minimal vetting and their customer service is notoriously shitty, so it's going to be rampant with abuse.

Last 24 hours I think. Weird move, can't say I'm keen, but my opinion on it probably depends on the level of compensation creators and publishers get. I do love free mods, but I can totally understand people putting in a lot of hard work to mod games and desiring compensation for their time and effort. Trouble is that Steam lets any old shit through with minimal vetting and their customer service is notoriously shitty, so it's going to be rampant with abuse.

When I first saw a headline about it my first thought was ''What?! Bastards!" thinking that everything was going to be paid for DLC like EA. I don't think it'll be as bad as that, all the ballache at the moment is because it only affects Skyrim fans and from experience, a lot of them are knobs >_>

And the internet crusading against this being 'DA WORST THING EVAR' is just annoying.

Although you have to admit it's kind of telling they're trialling it for Skyrim the same weekend as the free weekend falls

• Like 1