Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

I mean, hasn't it already been implied that Americans tend to fuck up everything in the Far Cry series?

35 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

You can shoot up German island mutants, Africans, Pacific Islanders, Tibetans, Cave Dwellers... But Ubisoft has crossed the line now that Americans are the bad guys.

:lol:

That was roughly my first thought. 

I mean, the US was definitely helping Pagan Min and probably was helping the Rook Islands Privateers too, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Willis again in this one too.

Rising Storm - GOTY edition is free on Humble for about 30hrs as of this posting.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/rising-storm-game-of-the-year-edition

TIL I already own it so here's a spare key for it: 93Y5V-G47K5-YPP8D
Also have a key for;
  • Insurgency
  • Memoria
  • Lethal League &
  • Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball

if any one is interested.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, thatshortguy said:

Just gonna throw out that Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball is a damn fun online multiplayer game.

Did you just make up that name?

• Like 1

Not sure if this should go in the Sony thread or the PC thread.  Anyway I've never tried emulators before but got really tempted by the prospect of playing NFL 2k5 again, still way better than Madden in my opinion.

Installed PCSX2, figured out how to get the bios, found an ISO for 2k5.  Loaded up the game, menus all work beautifully running at 60 FPS.  Was shocked at how easy it was considering I'm pretty awful with this sort of stuff.

Then I load an actual game and it all goes to hell.  The graphics look as expected but it drops down to like 30-40 FPS, everything is in total slow motion and the announcers sound drunk.  Messed around with the video settings and stuff plenty but still couldn't find anything to improve performance.  Watched tutorials online with suggestions and still no luck.  My PC is 4.5 years old and has all the default settings on it so I'm just left to assume it's either too slow or the default Intel HD Graphics card simply can't handle the task.

Wish I had a clue about this sort of stuff, it's really all Greek to me :blush:

• Like 1

Well, it's probably not your systems fault. Emulation isn't an exact science, and many games still have issues when trying to emulate it. Some are even borderline unplayable because the developers had to use programming magic to even get it to work on PS2 back in the day (ex. MGS2 & 3, Mercenaries, Shadow of the Colossus.).

That means that some games just don't run perfectly, or some only work on native resolution and will go apeshit when you try to upscale things and go hardware mode. Audio slowdown is common too, and one of the harder issues when they show up.

I can suggest you google 'PCSX2 NFL 2k5 settings' or anything of the sort, since there's undoubtedly a userbase out there that has found a way to make the game emulate as good as possible, possibly even close to perfect. Or you can try to fiddle around with the plugins and settings yourself, but that's some advanced stuff even for a guy like me who uses PCSX pretty regularly

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

Thanks!  I've come across a few NFL 2k5 setup tutorials but even when trying to mimic the settings I'm still getting significant slowdown - I'll keep on searching to see what I can find.

Interestingly I also downloaded SmackDown HCTP for a nice trip down memory lane, 1 vs 1 matches work great but multi-man matches have a lot more fluctuation.  If I do play with the settings that might be a decent benchmark game since there are so many scenarios I could try since I already know what works vs. what doesn't on the base settings.

I'm confused by the legal status of emulators and ROMs. I always used to think they were illegal, but plenty of mainstream games sites advocate their use and insist that they're within the parameters of the law. If I were to play a game I hadn't paid for on a version of a console I also hadn't paid for, why would that be legal? For the record, I'm not trying to cast judgement on anyone because I genuinely don't know what the official ruling is.

14 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm confused by the legal status of emulators and ROMs. I always used to think they were illegal, but plenty of mainstream games sites advocate their use and insist that they're within the parameters of the law. If I were to play a game I hadn't paid for on a version of a console I also hadn't paid for, why would that be legal? For the record, I'm not trying to cast judgement on anyone because I genuinely don't know what the official ruling is.

Not sure anybody knows for sure where the law stands, so it's kind of a grey area. The cost of the console makers pursuing legal action doesn't seem to be worth it, so take that for what you want.

Several emulators, PCSX2 included, could be run without obtaining anything illegally.  You could download the Bios from your PS2 console directly, and then pop the PS2 disc you want to play into the computer.

For that reason though it's hard to get support on certain games on the official PCSX2 message boards because they want proof that you actually own the game you need help with, as they can't officially condone downloading ISO files of the game.  Operation Sports shuts down all emulator talk too.

6 hours ago, Busch Strowman said:

Several emulators, PCSX2 included, could be run without obtaining anything illegally.  You could download the Bios from your PS2 console directly, and then pop the PS2 disc you want to play into the computer.

For that reason though it's hard to get support on certain games on the official PCSX2 message boards because they want proof that you actually own the game you need help with, as they can't officially condone downloading ISO files of the game.  Operation Sports shuts down all emulator talk too.

"Before this goes any further, please post a picture of yourself holding the game, a piece of paper with your username written on it and a copy of today's newspaper."

• Like 2