Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

ZKVPN-WMII9-A72LD - Golden Axe II

0A2E8-XW0ND-MXQYX - Golden Axe

6BCD2-ZHZ5M-V4IHV - Wonder Boy in Monster World

NRCD6-4F276-LW3NE - Dynamite Headdy

Accidentally bought these games twice in the Bundle Stars Mega Drive bundle, in which you can get 3 for £1, 10 for £2 or 20 for £2.79.

5 hours ago, Owen said:

Accidentally bought these games twice in the Bundle Stars Mega Drive bundle, in which you can get 3 for £1, 10 for £2 or 20 for £2.79.

I bought everything in that bundle. I have a problem :(
I'll post up if I have duplicates.

• Like 1

Just now, Rocky said:

I bought everything in that bundle. I have a problem :(
I'll post up if I have duplicates.

I ended up buying 26 of them. I was only going to buy 20, but accidentally picked up duplicates over some games that I wanted instead because it registered twice in my basket so I had to delete each duplicate individually and clearly missed some. I paid for another 10 to get the ones that I missed. I didn't bother getting the RPGs or strategy games, but got pretty much all the others. Oops.

• Like 1

Every so often, I go clean games off my Steam wishlist - as in remove, not buy - and I'm in the process right now. 

I've got a few games on my list that I'm wondering if anyone has played, and has any opinions on:

Battle Brothers

Sabers of Infinity

Axis Football 2016

This Is The Police

Renowned Explorers: International Society

Xenonauts

Tom Clancy's The Division

Quantum Break

The Crew

Can't afford to buy anything currently, but I want to eliminate some of these from my list, which is at 59 games (though about 6 or 7 are DLCs) right now.

The Crew isn't bad, but it gets a bit boring after a while. I got it free a while back when Ubi were handing it out for free. Story is your usual street-racer revenge story where the protagonist races himself up the foodchain to come at the big bad. There's plenty of cars in there, the off-road 'bashy' missions are bloody annoying, and the driving style is true arcade with car classes having differing styles, but nothing that'll test someone who has played racing games before.

Quantum Break is great if you liked stuff like Alan Wake, and by extent Max Payne. It's a bit more serious than those two, but by the same developer, and it has the same humour from time to time. I've seen a let's play, and all in all it was a p. good game.

Xenonauts if you think the new X-Com games are too modern, and you want to return to the classic style of throwing a dozen jarheads at the alien menace and be content half of them survive, it's a damn good game. It has a bit of a modding scene too, and iirc they're working on a sequel. It's basically a modern true remake of the original UFO: Defence.

This is the Police is a narrative driven police-ish game. Very lengthy and can drag from what i've seen. Also a bit pre-determined in how some things go, and it's one of those narrative heavy games that is more focused on telling a story rather than giving an ever-changing game that is different on every playthrough. At least, it was like that on release, I don't know if they added things to the game.

All four of those i'd take on sale first and foremost. Most of them go on very deep sales from time to time, and you can get them for under 15/10 eurodollarydoos.

This is the Police is quite a good game. I've enjoyed what I've played so far. I need to get back to it.

I've been looking at installing Renowned Explorers. I've been playing a lot of these "turn-based-strategy" type games recently (Door Kickers, Marvellous Miss Take, Crookz etc)
Also look into Crookz: Big Heist. You plan out heists, picking your team, what tools they'll need and go from there. I've put in soooo much time so far with some missions taking well over an hour to complete while you try figure out where to go next. (Currently on Kinguin for about USD$3)

I don't think I have any of the others.

This Is The Police is a great story-driven game. Be aware that there are timeskips, so don't pace yourself based on the advertised 180-day time limit because it's more like 100.

Also (this may have changed since the update) the incidents you respond to have zero randomness (IE for all incidents in any one day, it will always be the same incidents, any that are false alarms will always be false alarms, they will always trigger at the same times). So very little replayability.

Also also, be aware that this is a noir police story, and you cannot play a 100% clean cop.

On the plus side, there's a recruitable officer by the name of Rex Kwan-Do that looks exactly like Hulk Hogan. Also John St.John does a fucking fantastic job as the lead VA.

Thanks for the input, y'all. I appreciate it. I may download and try out the Crookz demo, when I have time. Looks interesting.

If This Is The Police has little replayability, I'm either removing it from my list, or waiting to see if anyone ever has an extra copy to give away. I rarely buy games with little replay value.

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Thanks for the input, y'all. I appreciate it. I may download and try out the Crookz demo, when I have time. Looks interesting.

If This Is The Police has little replayability, I'm either removing it from my list, or waiting to see if anyone ever has an extra copy to give away. I rarely buy games with little replay value.

I'd say wait for it to get on sale, it's still a good 20+ hour experience and the strategy aspect is pretty fun.

I'd at least recommend an LP because the story is pretty cool.

Also, forgot to mention it. But everyone who doesn't have Payday 2 can get a free copy of Payday 2 on Steam. It'll be until the 21st, or when 5 million copies have been given away for free, whatever comes first.

Additionally all future DLC released will be free

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Handsome Luchadore said:

Should I save up for a decent gaming laptop now or wait until the next series of processors/graphics cards before buying?

If you're gonna wait, you're arguably going to wait forever. But that's the usual unhelpful bullshit people say when people ask for 'waiting for the next series', so i'm just gonna give you some actual useful info.

Best times to get a laptop are April, August/September (back to school), and November (Black Friday, Pre-Christmas sales). Also, if you have a preference for manufacturers, checking when their last few series dropped can help you gauge when the next one is gonna drop, either allowing you to get the old series cheaper, or get the new ones earlier (and some of the cheaper series before they get sold out).

Generally April  and Black Friday are the best times of the lot to get savings on laptops. April being the main month where most companies start clearing out old stock to make room for the new stock.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Look for deals at different places, as well. My computer was a special deal on Walmart's website a few years ago, and the only thing I really need to do to it now is get a second or bigger hard drive. (Came with a 1T. I have just over 300 GB free at the moment) It was cheaper than having one custom built. Mine's a desktop, but I do believe they have laptop deals from time to time.

On the other hand, avoid Best Buy like the plague. I've checked their site a lot of times over the last few years, and their deals aren't really all that great, considering BB is usually priced higher than everyone else to begin with.

I had 3 or 4 computers in a row that I got from Dell, but they lost my business once they quit offering custom builds. They're not worth it anymore, unless they include bonuses like a free monitor. My parents feel the same way. My father's laptop is a Lenovo, and my mother's desktop is an HP. And we all liked Dell when they did customization. 

Putting here since its more of a PC issue, not putting it in the GTA thread since I think the mod worked with other Rockstar titles.

Take Two vs. Modding

We feared that this day would come... And now it's here.
The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal.

GTA modding had long and glorious history.
Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.

And the modding always was a "gray zone" -- a battlefield between lawyers and PR...

For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

• Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability).
  • Only clean-room reverse engineering.
  • No distribution of original data and code.
  • And absolutely no messing with Online...

On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter.
It clearly says, that with OpenIV we "allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two's rights".
Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don't even bothered with proof-reading the text).
Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.
Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we'll get absolutely nothing.
Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can't compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we're stopping distribution of OpenIV.

It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can't see any possibilities to continue this process,
unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

With many thanks for all modding community for all your fantastic creations,
OpenIV team.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Source: GTAForums.com

• Like 1

So this either ends in someone else picking up and doing it in an endless stream and modders who want to keep it up. Or pretty much it stops which I don't really see as a huge loss either. But it's probably going to be number one at least in the short term.

It's easy to decrie Rockstar for what they've done to the GTA modding scene, but ultimately it's lawyers and shareholders wanting to ensure that stock prices of Rockstar stays high, the way to do that is to not allow anything that might undercut sales. In GTA's case, those sales are people playing GTA:Online and buying money cards to afford extremely priced in game content.

The thought is that if people use mods, they will stop playing GTA:Online, and in most cases this is somewhat true because mods either break online gameplay or it allows players to get the content they want without Rockstar Games being able to profit from it. So with the eyes on profits and keeping Rockstar Games a valuable company that people want to invest in, they've started a massive crackdown on people using the IPs for their own (altruistic) gains.

It's a tough situation, and as a gaming lifer who loves to mod games from time to time, it's a very development which isn't just happening at Rockstar Games either... Bethesda Games has also moved towards finding ways to monetize the modding community for their own gain, with paid mods being something that has been rumoured for a while now.

And continuing on the whole monetizing aspect of it all, DLC mentality seems to have died down a little bit with EA promising 'free' dlc to Battlefront II, but you can bet your ass that it's a half-truth because most available content will be open for every player to get, albeit hidden behind a paywall that requires microtransactions, or extreme grinding to get the credits available to pay for the content. Which is exactly how GTA:Online operates nowadays, too. All DLC is free, but it'll cost you lots of hours of grinding or paying up for in-game currency.

But yeah, the people that wanted 'paid dlc' to be gone are winning, but it'll be a pyrrhic victory because what they'll now get for free they'll still have to pay for in some way, in an even more cynical package than before.

To return to the actual story, this is merely the start of the new movement. Developers and publishers are going to crack down harder and harder on modding communities, either banning them completely, or finding a way to reap some sort of monetary benefit from the labor of modders, perhaps with a token amount of money going to said third party content developers.

It's a problem with the game industries economic power finally being recognized by big money, as more developers and publishers look to float themselves on the stock market, they'll become more and more forced to close their IPs to external forces, to ensure that their shareholders stay confident in the stock's power.

• Like 1

Picked up Playerunknown Battleground yesterday. After some initial graphical glitches...I've played 3 rounds.

Round 1 w/ friend: Finished 9th with one kill (basically cleaning up my friend's scraps)

Round 2 solo: Finished 26th, but I found a sniper rifle and killed 3 people. 

Round 3 solo: Finished 5th! Much more stealthy...and I managed 2 kills.

I think @Plubby is playing this as well?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

Picked up Playerunknown Battleground yesterday. After some initial graphical glitches...I've played 3 rounds.

Round 1 w/ friend: Finished 9th with one kill (basically cleaning up my friend's scraps)

Round 2 solo: Finished 26th, but I found a sniper rifle and killed 3 people. 

Round 3 solo: Finished 5th! Much more stealthy...and I managed 2 kills.

I think @Plubby is playing this as well?

THIS GAME'S AMAAAAAAAZING

• Like 2