Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

I think it´s comming on 10th. I am looking forward to it. It´s my Third Kickstarter Game, the other two were FTL and StarCommand. At least FTL set a very high standard, i still have hope for StarCommand to become more of what it promised to be gameplay wise but at least it´s looking great.

Broken Age (aka. DoubleFine Adventure) should not be to far in the future aswell.

Broken Age (aka. DoubleFine Adventure) should not be to far in the future aswell.

Grrr, but DoubleFine just started another Kickstarter! They already got enough from the first, why can't they just use the profits from that to make this next one? It's nothing but a cash grab! I AM ANGERED BY THIS!

• Like 1

Kickstarters are starting to get a bit of backlash - now that people who by every right, have enough money to do what they want to do or the prexisitng backing of a studio are trying their hand at it. It's a very tenuous thing at the moment.

Starting?

It's been nothing but complaints since Day 1. But it's a thing on the internet so it's bound to draw complaints either way.

"Why does AVGN need money to make a movie? He has millions of views on YouTube. My friend told me that you get $1 in ad revenue for every view you get so he should be able to fund this himself!"

I meant in the sense that people in the past few months have started NOT getting the money that they wanted or just came in over the limits. Granted, some of those projects were never going to make it there from the start... but I'm seeing things that probably would've been funded a year ago not getting what it needs today.

I think, while ultimately there is a fine line between what i personally like and what i dislike in these projects, you get to vote with your money so who cares? If EA decides to crowd fund Fifa and a million people decide to put down 500$ for a green dot on the games Box... i think they are idiots but they earned their money so let them spend it...

I am personally not a big fan when something like Project Eternity or Shadowrun happens and they already announce Payed for DLC before the funding even ended. (especially if in the case of Shadowrun that payed DLC will not even work with your DRM Free Version)... it´s kind of saing "Well, we will finance that DLC out of our own pocked but not the Crowdfunding funds!" while you sit there thinking "Who put the money you earned releasing the game in your pocked?"... i don´t know, it´s kinda a dick move, day -400 dlc. - If the game makes you ritch, there is demand for DLC and you feel the need to ad more to it... go for it, if you got really ritch maybe give it for free to the people that allowed you to keep intellectual property of the IP and 100% free profits... but the way they do it it just feels icky.

But with DoubleFine (as, maybe the only "big" developer who made me feel like this) and a ton of the smaller games/projects that i backed it usually feels like you can be part of the games creation. If you send an e-mail asking a question you´ll get a reply, they actively seek creative input on backer only sections of the forum. It´s just neat. Some projects i even only backed with a single dollar to be in the loop about them like that.

Wastland 2 should not be to far away aswell right?

I meant in the sense that people in the past few months have started NOT getting the money that they wanted or just came in over the limits. Granted, some of those projects were never going to make it there from the start... but I'm seeing things that probably would've been funded a year ago not getting what it needs today.

Maybe read about the blockbuster effect. The more people brought to kickstarter the more stuff gets funded. Obviusly now that everyone wants to have his own crowd funding project more people are likely to fail but... well, it´s not free money. You still need a good idea and promote your kickstarter full time. Especially that big budget stuff has hard times. The Torrment Kickstarter had a very hard time because no one from the big press wanted to talk to them anymore once Veronica Mars just crushed their record a day later.

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/blockbuster-effects

"You mean they give me money before I have to prove any of the stuff is actually in the game?"

To be fair, if he were to release a game without features he stated it'd have, there'd be a huge uproar. I can't remember which game it was but there was a lot of drama about a kickstarter game recently coming out and not featuring a bunch of the stuff it'd promised.

"You mean they give me money before I have to prove any of the stuff is actually in the game?"

To be fair, if he were to release a game without features he stated it'd have, there'd be a huge uproar. I can't remember which game it was but there was a lot of drama about a kickstarter game recently coming out and not featuring a bunch of the stuff it'd promised.

Well people still bought all the Fable games, so I doubt he's too worried.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Peter Molyneux - although I've never cared for Fable, plenty of his games still provide entertaining experiences despite falling short of expectations (I'm thinking specifically of The Movies here, since I'm fond of that game) and it's difficult to criticise someone who has vision and does try to make something different when the ideas on the market are generally stale. But there's no way someone with his track record for promising the moon and failing to deliver should be raising £500,000 on Kickstarter.

I forgot Molyneux did The Movies. I love that game to death but even that reeks of Molyneux overhyping expectations ("MAKE YOUR OWN MOVIES! ...by splicing together a bunch of pre-prepared clips."). Still a fun game, though, maybe worth a Cube diary down the road once I finish Forbes's thing.