General Gaming Thread

TKz

Apparently rumours floating around about Square Enix shelving the Deus Ex Series in favour of Eidos Montreal taking over the Tomb Raider Series, and Crystal Dynamics starting to work on the multi-game Avengers IP.

Which makes me a very very annoyed panda, if that's true. Because Mankind Divided ended on a bunch of cliffhangers because SE already had forced the devs to cut shit out of the game to stretch it out to two games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Edited by Jasonmufc

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Colly said:

New Humble Mobile Bundle is a load of RPGs including KOTOR. I've never played it, should I get it? Is it a grindy type rpg, or does the story carry it along a bit?

It's literally Mass Effect before Mass Effect existed because Bioware lost the IP. Graphics don't really hold up, but I'm sure there are mods around to fix that these days. Great games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colly said:

Cheers both, I'll get it. Graphics probably won't bother me, I'm still catching up with 6 year old PS3 games.

Pretty sure both games also have a restoration mod that polishes the game up further, removes some big mods, and even adds some lost content. I know for a certainty that KOTOR2 has a massive one that adds a load to a game that was heavily rushed by the publisher.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

KOTOR is one of my favourite games ever. It's dated, but the story and characters are a lot of fun and it really nails the Star Wars ambience. When it came out, it was pretty much the Star Wars game I'd always wanted.

KOTOR was amazing, especially the plot twists that absolutely blew my mind in every way because it was brilliant and at the same time vaguely foreshadowed in hindsight. But personally, KOTOR2's story and character work is second to none and delivers arguably the finest story in terms of depth of character.

As a whole, Bioware set a very good bar but they've always lacked in character depth. Obsidian got dealt a bum hand by rushed deadlines, but they wrote arguably the best character(s) in the entire Star Wars expanded continuity (Kreia x100)

Both games are a real must play if you're a fan of Star Wars, or RPG's in general. The only 'bad' thing about both games is that the first part can drag along for a long time, until you're unleashed and allowed to fly around the galaxy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

KOTOR was amazing, especially the plot twists that absolutely blew my mind in every way because it was brilliant and at the same time vaguely foreshadowed in hindsight. But personally, KOTOR2's story and character work is second to none and delivers arguably the finest story in terms of depth of character.

As a whole, Bioware set a very good bar but they've always lacked in character depth. Obsidian got dealt a bum hand by rushed deadlines, but they wrote arguably the best character(s) in the entire Star Wars expanded continuity (Kreia x100)

I absolutely agree here. I've seen a lot of people talking about how much they want Bioware to make KOTOR 3, but what they did was make a great game that was clearly a standalone effort. Obsidian, particularly Chris Avellone, had a more intriguing narrative concept that was clearly setting itself up for the sequel that, for whatever reason, was never commissioned by Lucasarts. If anyone were to make a sequel, it ought to have Avellone at the helm.

Okay KOTOR 1 was a great game and all but let's not pretend that the plot twist was brilliant or made a single atom of sense.

Maker Studios has dropped Pewdiepie over anti-Semitic jokes in his videos, and as of this morning his YouTube Red show ("Scare Pewdiepie") has been canceled and he's been removed from YouTube's Google Preferred, which is meant to be an advertising space for "brand-safe content". Pewdiepie claims that the videos were jokes - essentially saying he was making fun of the fact that people on the website Fiverr will do anything for $5 - but it's gotten out of hand to the point that real neo-nazis and neo-nazi websites like the Daily Stormer are celebrating him.

I kind of doubt it has any long-lasting effect on him, because his fans are already super loyal, but it'll be interesting to see if there's more fallout to come.

The Forgotten History of the Oregon Trail

I had no idea it was originally going to be a board game. I also really liked this:

During those first few days, I saw a lot of interesting stuff happen. Each group found the best typist and sat him or her in front of the teletype. Another group member followed the progress by map. Another group member watched the budget report to make sure the group wasn't running low on supplies. That division of labor was something the students came up with on their own.

• Like 2