General Gaming Thread

TKz

I think my last digital purchase was Far Cry 4, and that was only because I knew I had the Tuesday morning off work, and had it pre-downloaded to play at midnight on the Monday. I tend to buy physical whenever possible.

Edit: It could have been Primal instead of 4, either one.

I buy very few games, but lean towards physical more often than digital.

It's for financial reasons more than anything - there's no VAT in Jersey, but digital copies are charged at the full UK price, so outside of sales/offers usually work out to be more expensive than buying the physical copy locally. On top of that, I like to keep in the habit of buying something physically, in person, not just to support local business, but because I know if I get into the habit of buying digitally, it would be way too easy for me to spend money on a whim and regret it. Adding in the steps of having to actively go out, find, and purchase the game gives me more time to consider whether I actually need the thing. I buy so few games anyway that it's not really an issue.

I also don't particularly trust digital media in general, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I went all digital with my 3DS and that paid off for the most part, no need to handle carts, etc - so I did the same thing with the XB1 and that really worked out well because of the cloud saves coming over when you re-downloaded a game again, etc.

But for the Switch I wanted to go physical and I have done so for any game that is available in that format - the system doesn't have a lot of memory, even expandable and I really like the cases... Nintendo stuff is always fun to collect. However there's an issue I've been having with the fact that everything I want to buy doesn't come out physically.. a lot of things sub-30 dollars are either out digital-only on other platforms so the developer doesn't bother OR around 20 dollars and putting it on a cart would probably raise the price. Grumble.

Go physical for the big first-party releases. Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, etc. Resale value for Nintendo games is always pretty high and you don't have to worry about Nintendo still not figuring out a universal ID system. 

• Like 2

http://www.paprium.com/

I need this game in my life.

A new 2D side scroller for the Mega Drive! Apparently it won't run on a third-party console, which is all I have at the moment, so may end up investing in a Mega Drive for this one.

I think more indie copies should strive to do what the Binding of Isaac did and have a reason to buy the physical copy. Their manual was fantastic for the Switch version and almost made me buy a physical copy without even owning a Switch yet. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RPS said:

I think more indie copies should strive to do what the Binding of Isaac did and have a reason to buy the physical copy. Their manual was fantastic for the Switch version and almost made me buy a physical copy without even owning a Switch yet. 

This is true not just for games, but for films, music, even books - make the physical copy something worthwhile, not just a box with a disc in it, and people will buy it. It's why so many limited editions come with artbooks or soundtrack CDs, or things to that effect, rather than just additional in-game content.

• Like 1

I think it's way easier to justify as an indie company. Taps into the nostalgia of our youths and is a great way to expand lore and story without incorporating into the game directly. 

Isaac's deluxe version had stickers too. 

• Like 1

So I managed to get my hands on Guitar Hero Live for the Xbox One from Game at the weekend. I've gone to play it, but I can't get the controller to connect. I keep reading about a dongle (which wasn't in the box). Do I need a dongle to connect it, or is my Xbox just being a massive pile of shit?

4 minutes ago, Regia said:

So I managed to get my hands on Guitar Hero Live for the Xbox One from Game at the weekend. I've gone to play it, but I can't get the controller to connect. I keep reading about a dongle (which wasn't in the box). Do I need a dongle to connect it, or is my Xbox just being a massive pile of shit?

Common problem apparently, but there's a workaround. Spoilered for length:

• Like 2

So, I signed up for Gamefly almost a month ago. I've had the new Final Fantasy for a few weeks... it's alright. If I had more time to play besides the weekends, I would probably be really into this game since the combat isn't turn based and there's plenty of sidequests. But, alas, I only really have Fri-Sun to play Xbox and even then, it's not an all day/night thing like when I was younger. So, I'm sending it back tomorrow. But, I need to know what to get next. 

My Queue has, in this order: Resident Evil 7 (Medium Availability), Mass Effect Andromeda (Low Availability), Hitman: Complete First Season (Now), Doom (Now), Deadpool (Now), Alien: Isolation (High), Quantum Break (Now), Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Medium), Dying Light (High), State of Decay (Now), and Life Is Strange (Now).

If I leave my queue the way it is, I'm probably getting Hitman next (which is fine, I haven't played Hitman since the very first one on PC) unless I get lucky and they send me Resident Evil. Is there anything I listed that I just need to play immediately? What say 'ye, EWB?