General Gaming Thread

TKz

I finally beat Dark Souls, hurray! Though, as much as I love this game and Demon's Souls before it, it will forever ruin most other combat systems for not being as tight and responsive. Even after tens of hours and hundreds (thousands?) of enemies defeated, it's still fun and challenging to fight even the lowliest enemies because they can fuck you up if you don't give them the proper respect.

I say that because I've now moved on to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed which does a bit button mashery in melee combat, even though it does seem to have a ton of combos. It feels a bit clunky at times in combat, the camera/jumping was a bit annoying in the first level and the second level is something of a brown mess. But, there are some are neat almost puzzle platforming moments where you use the force to manouver platforms and such.

The crowning feature though is force grip/push. Grabbing Jawas and flinging them off into the deep vacumn of space is just so immensely satisfying.

So I've just found out Civ V is wonderful, and is it worth getting Gods & Kings and/or pre-ordering Brave New World?

If you like the base game Gods & Kings will give you more of the same. Brave new world nobody played yet, but to me it looks a lot meatier than Gods and Kings turned out to be. Ill be getting it.

Pre ordered Deadpool on a whim because it was on sale at Toys R Us. Hope it's as fun as it looks

I'm usually nervous when a game based on a license I like has virtually no coverage leading up to release day. Apparently, it was good enough at some UK comic that Game had a booth at that it generated 600 pre-orders. Obviously these are comic book nerds, but still. I might hang on until it goes on sale, but still, I'm cautiously optimistic.

So I've just found out Civ V is wonderful, and is it worth getting Gods & Kings and/or pre-ordering Brave New World?

Gods & Kings is a neat expansion, adds some good Civs and the religion mechanic is better and more refined than Civ IV's. Not tried BNW yet, waiting for it to be cheap in the summer sale.

Man, Dark Souls is boring just... story- and setting-wise. Looks icky and gross and I hate it when anybody talks at all. Game plays okay, though. Will probably give it a proper go later but the tutorial was just yuck.

Man, Dark Souls is boring just... story- and setting-wise. Looks icky and gross and I hate it when anybody talks at all. Game plays okay, though. Will probably give it a proper go later but the tutorial was just yuck.

It's not really about the story, it's entirely gameplay. Almost like the difficulty of the early arcade games wrapped up in a modern title. The whole experience is slowly progressing and completely mastering the combat. It's not for everyone.

It's not really about the story, it's entirely gameplay. Almost like the difficulty of the early arcade games wrapped up in a modern title. The whole experience is slowly progressing and completely mastering the combat. It's not for everyone.

Yeah, I definitely got that, which is why I'll try it again when I can deal without any talking or set-up.

You playing on PC or console, Kong? PC controls are awful, might help if you use a controller.

What's the deal with the recent game marathon, anyway? Did you just recently pick up a PC/Console, or did you just not previously talk about games all that much on here?

Using a controller, yeah. Controls are a bit tough to get used to, so much more used to the face buttons being used for melee. Used up all my opening potions because I kept accidentally hitting X when I wanted to attack.

And I don't really know why I've been playing more games lately, honestly. I generally do not play a lot of games, and when I do they generally just hold my interest for a little while. I like the idea of games a lot more than actually playing games.

I think there's a lot of lore to be found surrounding characters and what not if you particularly care enough to look into it.

For the graphics, you were in the prison section so it is a bit dank obviously but even there, I think there's some nice sections like when you get out into the courtyard and you get a bit of light shining down on you. There is some great looking sections elsewhere and there's a great sense of scale as you look off into the distance and see places you might have just passed or might be going to in the near future. Though, there are also horrible places that really fill you with dread and create a foreboding atmosphere. I think the voice acting helps there too with everyone sounding mostly somber or just plain crazy.

Not sure it's the best title for you since you seem to be stop/starting these things at a rate of knots and it does demand an investment of time and patience, especially if you're going through with minimal/no assistance from guides etc. It does take some getting into, I remember my first go around on the first level of Demon's Souls taking a good while, but I think the controls make sense with the way the combat is set up. Of course, this can take slightly longer to get into since there's now the whole open world-ish aspect to it so you might take a few wrong turns at first. Just try and keep a level head if you do stick at it and try not to get too frustrated.

I'm a proponent of making things as different as possible from the grey/brown colour schemes that are out there and I'm glad that games are trying to get away from that (for the most part) recently - but I give games like Dark/Demon Souls a pass just because they do it so well.

I was dead set on getting a Ouya up until I realised you could plug a usb controller into a Nexus 7 and play in good quality without needing a screen, I'm willing to bet if you got a Ouya controller it'd be compatible with the Nexus 7 and you'd have a portable Ouya with the pixel density making it look just as good if not better than on a television.

I'm half tempted to get one anyway for a low powered SNES/Mega Drive/PS1 emulator that I can just shove under the TV and play some retro games whenever I want to, but there's pretty much no need when you can stick a bunch of emulators + every SNES and Mega Drive rom on a 4GB memory stick and game on the go on any pc.