General Gaming Thread

TKz

Well the selling point for me (and keep in mind, I plan on buying in six or so months) boils down to.. that's where the new games are going to be coming out. I love Nintendo and I love my Wii U and 3DS - but it's become abundantly clear to me that if I ever want to play games online or get into some of the genres that Nintendo won't touch, I'm probably going to have to get a One or a PS4. I love playing COD:Ghosts but just after launch there are under 2,000 people on daily. That's going to dwindle down to pretty much nothing in the months to come and I'll have a worthless title, etc/

So I'm pretty much computer illiterate when it comes to PC gaming but I totally want to get the FFVII re-release they made because I totally want to play it with that totally awesome mod they made for it where all the graphics are ramped up to 11 because holy shit that looks lovely. I've run Can You Run It and the only thing I fail on is CPU Speed. Apparently the minimum is 2GHz whilst I have a measley 1.3GHz on my ol' faithful laptop. Is that super important? Will I be able to play it without the right CPU Speed? And if not is there anything I can do to make CPU Speed harder better faster stronger?

I assume it's probably mentioned in that clip but Brooker is also doing a viddy game thing for Channel 4 that I think is on tomorrow at 9, runs for 2 hours, and then Indie Game: The Movie is on after that.

Anything with Brooker is fantastic viewing

Charlie Brooker: Videogames Changed the World

From Pong to Grand Theft Auto, Charlie Brooker delves into the history of videogames and pulls out a selection of its most significant titles.

From Atari to Angry Birds, How Videogames Changed the World explores how interactive entertainment evolved from a penny arcade diversion into a medium that some believe is art, and shows how it is changing the way we work, communicate and, of course, play.

Joined by Jonathan Ross, Dara O'Briain and gaming legends like Will Wright and John Romero, Brooker looks at how videogames have become the most progressive art form of the last 40 years.

This humorous and insightful tour will surprise and entertain the uninitiated and dedicated gamers alike.

Indie Game: The Movie

Film-makers Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky reveal that, as in the movies' Hollywood/ independent dichotomy, artistic freedom can come at the cost of the creators' emotional health, relationships and personal finances.

Phil Fish is the man behind Fez, a non-aggressive game that pushes its 2D main character into a bewildering 3D world. Fish won plaudits for a demo he unveiled in 2007, but his extreme perfectionism meant it still wasn't on sale by the time this documentary was finished.

Offering an insight into the stressful run-up to the release of a treasured creation are Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes, the designers of the platformer Super Meat Boy.

And Jonathan Blow, creator of the innovative and successful platform puzzler Braid, discusses the machinations of the industry, the expectations of eager gamers and the critics' reactions to the games.

I hate how torn I still am between the Xbone and the PS4.

I love the media stuff and voice commands of the Xbone. That said, I've never been a fan of the Xbox exclusive titles.

And I love Gran Turismo and MLB: The Show on the PS4. But with that said, I could just go out and buy a PS3 again and be content with the most recently released versions of those games.

Well, as I learned today, PS4 has limited voice commands too, if that helps!

As for launch games, Killzone is meh, but there's some fun stuff for PS4. I think Xbone has it beat by Dead Rising alone, but I guess it comes down to exclusives you care more about later down the line. I have zero interest in Halo, but I like Uncharted and some of the stuff they've had in the last gen was way more interesting for me than 360's offerings.

I agree that xbones starting pitch is solid, but I love sony exclusive titles. Plus they always create new exclusive ones each gen to add on to the library and not constantly go back to the same two or three.

I'm holding off for a bit Meacon to see it grow a little first. But I'll be getting a ps4 within a half year.

Yeah, I'm not getting anything until February-ish, by which I'm sure I'll have made up my mind.

Exclusives are what is going to ultimately sell it for me, and that means PS4. I don't give two hoots about Dead Rising or Halo. I'm more of a sports gamer, anyway, and with that I think Gran Turismo > Forza and MLB: The Show > MLB2k.

The How Videogames Changed the World show was pretty good, it was a sort of top 25 run down of influentual titles but not in a worst to best format more of a earliest to recent since it starts with Pong and technically ends with The Last of Us, I say technically since what got the number one spot was social media or more specifically Twitter based on a video game achievement style system that it has built into its system. Felt a bit of a cop out but the rest of the show was interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1