General Gaming Thread

TKz

what got the number one spot was social media or more specifically Twitter based on a video game achievement style system that it has built into its system. Felt a bit of a cop out but the rest of the show was interesting nonetheless.

I wouldn't say that's a cop-out at all. The whole point of the program was about how games changed the world, and part of that is the "gamification" of other media, and the amount that people who wouldn't ever consider themselves "gamers" probably actually are, without even realising it. Social media is a huge example of that. Just because it's not something you play with a gamepad on a console doesn't mean it's not a game.

Japan Studio’s enjoyable (but not outstanding) PlayStation 4 launch title Knack landed a heavy blow on the critically acclaimed Super Mario 3D World this week, finishing above the Wii U exclusive in the UK sales charts. Mark Cerny’s throwback platformer punched its way into 13th in the multiformat best-sellers list, while the bruised Italian mascot was forced to sit behind in 14th. It’s not especially surprising, considering Sony’s next generation console already has a larger install base than Nintendo’s device in Britain – despite the latter launching a year ago.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Call of Duty: Ghosts topped the charts, while FIFA 14 slipped into second. The soccer sim was strengthened by being bundled with the Xbox One last week, but still enjoyed “strong sales” on the PS4. Elsewhere, Battlefield 4 bombed the third spot, while Killzone: Shadow Fall fired into fourth – a position boosted by bundles featuring the first-person shooter. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Grand Theft Auto V, Need for Speed: Rivals, andJust Dance 2014 rounded out the top-ten, with Batman: Arkham Origins just slipping inside.

As always, you can peruse the full list of movers and shakers through here. Which titles did you pick up alongside your console? Are you surprised that Knack managed to outpace Mario? Did you expect Guerrilla Games’ launch title to chart higher? Soak up the sales in the comments section below.

For anyone wondering how well the Wii U is doing in terms of sales, a year after release it can barely match up to the PS4 after a single day. >_>

Not really that surprising considering the Wii was both cheap and extremely innovative, whilst the Wii U doesn't really add anything new. The touchpad isn't anywhere near enough of a system seller. Kind of sucks, really. The smaller the installed user base, the less likely we are to get ports, or even any games made for the console... and the less likely people are to buy the system. Bad for all involved! I call it the Vita Effect.

Cool that Knack did well, though. I'm looking forward to picking it up on Ebay for £30. :D

Japan Studio’s enjoyable (but not outstanding) PlayStation 4 launch title Knack landed a heavy blow on the critically acclaimed Super Mario 3D World this week, finishing above the Wii U exclusive in the UK sales charts. Mark Cerny’s throwback platformer punched its way into 13th in the multiformat best-sellers list, while the bruised Italian mascot was forced to sit behind in 14th. It’s not especially surprising, considering Sony’s next generation console already has a larger install base than Nintendo’s device in Britain – despite the latter launching a year ago.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Call of Duty: Ghosts topped the charts, while FIFA 14 slipped into second. The soccer sim was strengthened by being bundled with the Xbox One last week, but still enjoyed “strong sales” on the PS4. Elsewhere, Battlefield 4 bombed the third spot, while Killzone: Shadow Fall fired into fourth – a position boosted by bundles featuring the first-person shooter. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Grand Theft Auto V, Need for Speed: Rivals, andJust Dance 2014 rounded out the top-ten, with Batman: Arkham Origins just slipping inside.

As always, you can peruse the full list of movers and shakers through here. Which titles did you pick up alongside your console? Are you surprised that Knack managed to outpace Mario? Did you expect Guerrilla Games’ launch title to chart higher? Soak up the sales in the comments section below.

For anyone wondering how well the Wii U is doing in terms of sales, a year after release it can barely match up to the PS4 after a single day. >_>

Not really that surprising considering the Wii was both cheap and extremely innovative, whilst the Wii U doesn't really add anything new. The touchpad isn't anywhere near enough of a system seller. Kind of sucks, really. The smaller the installed user base, the less likely we are to get ports, or even any games made for the console... and the less likely people are to buy the system. Bad for all involved! I call it the Vita Effect.

Cool that Knack did well, though. I'm looking forward to picking it up on Ebay for £30. :D

Not that I'm inclined to strongly disagree, but I can see an angry response coming.

Not that I'm inclined to strongly disagree, but I can see an angry response coming.

Nah, I'm tired.

Adding a second screen is not remotely near the level of innovation of the Wii. I could accomplish nearly everything the second screen is used for in most games in 1999 with a TV playing the game and a monitor showing the world map.

I like the Wii U, I'm going to get one myself at some point, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I think at this point we can admit that it's not going to repeat the success of the Wii. Surely the numbers a year later speak for themselves by now?

It's definitely not going to repeat the success of the Wii, and you're mostly right, I'm sure, but it's a touchscreen, not just a second screen. That might sound like nitpicking, but it really isn't.

I'm not denying there's fun to be had with it and cool ways to mess around with it, my point was that the Wii U isn't going to garner anywhere near the crazy amounts of mass appeal that the Wii did because just a touch screen isn't anywhere near the level of "Holy shit, I move my arms... and the character moves too!". People have gone "Holy shit, look at this tech!" and got themselves a Wii. The mass appeal isn't there any more because most of those people have satisfied their curiosity now. It's not a system seller, is my point. The motion controls were.

I really like the Wii U, I don't even think Nintendo is doing anything wrong, I'd definitely say they won this holiday season in terms of awesome releases. I just don't think the Wii U holds the potential they think it does. And if it does, no one has stumbled onto it. I'd love to be proved wrong - devs didn't know what the fuck to make of the DS touchpad until Nintendogs and look how that turned out. But right now, it just looks to me like this is the Gamecube situation all over again.