General Gaming Thread

TKz

Don't think anyone's saying it isn't, it's just that they can't justify spending that much money on the console.

Also, I know it's stupid, but I can't help but feel I'd be more inclined to get a Wii U if it had some kind of achievement/trophy system. That always motivates me a bit more to complete games' storylines at the very least.

Surely that's subjective, and again really another failure for the marketing machine? I can get a Wii for less than £150, why would I buy this thing for £300?

That was in reply to Apsham, spooky same time reply...

Don't think anyone's saying it isn't, it's just that they can't justify spending that much money on the console.

Also, I know it's stupid, but I can't help but feel I'd be more inclined to get a Wii U if it had some kind of achievement/trophy system. That always motivates me a bit more to complete games' storylines at the very least.

Also doesn't help that a lot of people see it as not much of a step up over the Wii - which, last I checked, you can find for less than £100.

I'd like a Wii U one day. I've heard some awesome stuff about Mario 3D World. But there's no exclusives I really want, nor any announced yet. I got a PS4 so when the day came, I could just pick up Metal Gear 5 and Final Fantasy XV straight away and not worry about getting the money for the console. There's nothing like that for me, for the Wii U.

• Like 1

Looks like a less shitty Dead Island. And mix in some free running so....Mirror's Edge meets zombies.

Correct.

To be fair, gameplay wasn't Dead Islands biggest problem. I mean I wasn't keen on it, but I'm not really keen on these kind of games. It was the complete lack of a compelling narrative that killed it. It barely bothered to give you a reason to care about anyone or anything happening, or the missions or what outcomes they might have. Borderlands only really gets away with it because it uses humor in place of story.

So apparently the NSA and its UK counterpart have been spying on online gamers, claiming it's a "target-rich environment".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-spies-online-games-world-warcraft-second-life

Not actually knowing whether terrorists were playing games was not enough to keep the intelligence agencies out of them, however. According to the document, GCHQ had already made a "vigorous effort" to exploit games, including "exploitation modules" against Xbox Live and World of Warcraft.

At the request of GCHQ, the NSA had begun a deliberate effort to extract World of Warcraft metadata from their troves of intelligence, and trying to link "accounts, characters and guilds" to Islamic extremism and arms dealing efforts. A later memo noted that among the game's active subscribers were "telecom engineers, embassy drivers, scientists, the military and other intelligence agencies".

The UK agency did not stop at World of Warcraft: by September a memo noted GCHQ had "successfully been able to get the discussions between different game players on Xbox Live".

Meanwhile, the FBI, CIA, and the Defense Humint Service were all running human intelligence operations undercover agents within Second Life. In fact, so crowded were the virtual worlds with staff from the different agencies, that there was a need to try to "deconflict" their efforts or, in other words, to make sure each agency wasn't just duplicating what the others were doing.

But the documents contain no indication that the surveillance ever foiled any terrorist plots, nor is there any clear evidence that terror groups were using the virtual communities to communicate as the intelligence agencies predicted.

Ah yes, Second Life, the online haven for terrorists.

Fun fact: I've never tried World of Warcraft. I've tried other MMORPG's, is there anything about WoW that would really sell me on it when the games that've ripped it off since haven't? (I'm looking at you, Guild Wars 2!)

Fun fact: I've never tried World of Warcraft. I've tried other MMORPG's, is there anything about WoW that would really sell me on it when the games that've ripped it off since haven't? (I'm looking at you, Guild Wars 2!)

Don't bother.

• Like 1

Yeah. WoW is more or less a endless combination of fetch quests and grinding. It´s not that this is terribly bad if your up for it.. come home from work, turn on a audiobook and click away a bit.. but if thats not your kind of game. - Also people expect you to sink a Hilarius amount of hours in it, i remember feeling that i played way to much (i had this strange "i have to play, because i payed for the month" urge) during the half year that i had it but everyone i knew from the real world or meet in game outleveled and gametimed me by a wide margin.

I think your much better of with a clone like GW2 or The old Republic if you care about a game like this instead of investing in the million adones and monthly fees.

One of my flatmate was addicted enough to WoW to have his girlfriend sit behind him on his bed watching him play WoW all day long... the game simply dos not return what most people seem to put in.

I think this is why i liked minecraft so much. Meet up with a bunch of frinds, chill on skype... no rush, but still adventure, collecting, cool stuff to explore build by the others.

Yeah I never really got hooked on WoW. At one point I had a friend who had a lot of (his parents') money who seriously bought me the game and like six months of play time as a present so we could play together, and it was fine. But the story wasn't really engrossing, the RP servers were a fucking nightmare, and it just got redundant.

I get tired of raids and stuff fairly quick, so it just wasn't a good fit.

So apparently the NSA and its UK counterpart have been spying on online gamers, claiming it's a "target-rich environment".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-spies-online-games-world-warcraft-second-life

Not actually knowing whether terrorists were playing games was not enough to keep the intelligence agencies out of them, however. According to the document, GCHQ had already made a "vigorous effort" to exploit games, including "exploitation modules" against Xbox Live and World of Warcraft.

At the request of GCHQ, the NSA had begun a deliberate effort to extract World of Warcraft metadata from their troves of intelligence, and trying to link "accounts, characters and guilds" to Islamic extremism and arms dealing efforts. A later memo noted that among the game's active subscribers were "telecom engineers, embassy drivers, scientists, the military and other intelligence agencies".

The UK agency did not stop at World of Warcraft: by September a memo noted GCHQ had "successfully been able to get the discussions between different game players on Xbox Live".

Meanwhile, the FBI, CIA, and the Defense Humint Service were all running human intelligence operations undercover agents within Second Life. In fact, so crowded were the virtual worlds with staff from the different agencies, that there was a need to try to "deconflict" their efforts or, in other words, to make sure each agency wasn't just duplicating what the others were doing.

But the documents contain no indication that the surveillance ever foiled any terrorist plots, nor is there any clear evidence that terror groups were using the virtual communities to communicate as the intelligence agencies predicted.

Ah yes, Second Life, the online haven for terrorists.

Holy cow, Second Life is a real game? I thought it was something created for CSI:NY or something.

Speaking of MMORPGs, anyone played the DC or Marvel one? The DC one is pretty fun actually (creating your own hero always is), but my laptop almost killed itself when I was playing on it. I'm not sure whether the Marvel one actually is an MMORPG, but it seems pretty popular.

So for some reason I picked up all three Modern Warfare games because I don't even know why. I've always hated the idea of them but everyone tells me how good they are, so hey, I picked them up.

Now I've started playing MW1 and I just, I dunno, I can't get into it at all. There seems to be nothing in the way of actual plot or characterization beyond 'THIS MAN IS MOUSTACHE! THIS MAN IS RUSSIA! THIS MAN IS ARAB HITLER!' and I can't actually see it going anywhere. The game somehow manages to simultaneously feel like everyone is shooting at you from every direction and yet nothing is actually happening. So far it's not even been a little bit fun.

My questions is does it get better? Is it worth sticking with and I'm just missing something so far? Am I able to skip ahead to MW2 without missing anything and is it worth doing?

Is it Heroclix?

No, he's talking about the MMORPG.

Though a Heroclix-style superhero tactics game would be awesome.

Speaking of superhero MMOs, I miss City of Heroes.

• Like 1