The 2012 Music Thread!

METALMAN

The band supporting Los Campesinos in a couple weeks, Tall Ships, are pretty good. If they didn't have such long intro's on every song, I think they'd be much better.

The new Maccabees album has grown on my loads in the last week - it's really quite good. It's not as fun as their first two albums but it's got some great songs on and some very 'big' moments. Can't wait to see 'em live in a week.

General, is the Pepe Deluxe worth downloading? Saw a few great reviews of it, and was meaning to check it out. Also, the Mars Volta are still around?

I downloaded it because of the hype and never looked back, it's just shamelessly fun pop music with fuzzy guitars popping up every now and again and delicious keyboard tones. It probably won't keep my attention for long but it certainly fills a hole.

But yeah, The Mars Volta's album is by far my favorite album of the year so far. It's a very good job that I have it pre-ordered or I might actually feel guilty about the amount of listens I've given it <_< Probably the most 'mainstream' release they've ever done, but it keeps the melodies of Frances the Mute, the insanity of De-Loused in the Comatorium and the frantic nature of The Bedlam In Goliath. Each listen improves it :o

I'm really starting to look forward to the end of this year, given the list of bands that are rumored to be releasing music this year.

• Radiohead (They started writing straight after their last one, so maybe)
  • My Bloody Valentine (Shields must have been doing SOMETHING)
  • Animal Collective
  • The Avalanches
  • Spiritualized ©
  • The Knife
  • of Montreal (already out)
  • Aphex Twin
  • Tool (rumored May release)
  • Sigur Ros
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • The xx
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Kanye West (he's confirmed that he's releasing something through his G.O.O.D music thing, might just be Watch The Throne 2, which would make do for now)
  • OutKast
  • The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet (already leaked)
  • Between the Buried and Me
  • The Beach Boys ©
  • Neutral Milk Hotel (Given how prolific Mangum has been recently)
  • Deltron 3030 (Del confirmed it but it's been 'finished' for years now :/ )
  • Pulled Apart By Horses (already released)
  • Diablo Swing Orchestra (out in first quarter of 2012... so May if not now?)
  • Tyler the Creator - Wolf ©

So yeah, if 1/3 of these come true then I'm going to be a very happy music fan, if not I'll find something else to fill the hole like last year.

Pulled Apart By Horses' new album is brilliant, just got to figure out a way of seeing them, 65 and The Xcerts, who are all headlining the Friday at 2000 Trees this year.

And fuck me, I didn't realise there was a new Avalanches album coming? I downloaded Since I Left You the other day because I couldn't find my hard copy, and it's still wonderful.

I was really tempted to see Pulled Apart By Horses this year in Newcastle, but given that I only saw them in 2010 I figured it'd be overkill <_< they're an incredible live band mind!

New Avalanches has been in the works for years. Apparently it was finished five years ago but they've had a lot of trouble licencing the samples, hopefully this year should finally see it released.

I'm going to see Los Campesinos on a boat in Bristol in a week or so! New album is quality.

I have a feeling I have seen and liked Tall ships, perhaps supporting someone else, or at a festival or something.

It really is awesome, though I think I still marginally enjoy Romance is Boring more. Can't wait to see them live, catching them twice this month.

Kid Cudi in "confused stoner tries rock music poorly" shocker, although, it seems like a less good version of Saul Williams' album with Trent Reznor. I mean, as said, it's not Rebirth awful.

But yeah, good albums that I like from this year:

School of Seven Bells - Ghostory

Grimes - Visions

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

And I sort of like the Sleigh Bells record, although, I'm a bit sad that it isn't as intense a blast of music as Treats. I'm not used to my noisy pop becoming introspective.

Had Bruce Springsteen's new album on at work today and it's really uninspiring and pretty tired sounding. It's a real shame but he hasn't done anything that offers anything new or interesting. Still, it's not a disaster or anything (although there is song with a rap on it that comes pretty close) so it'll keep his core fans happy, but it just seems so pointless.

He does seem tired, but it ventures into more Flogging Molly territory than I anticipated. The single's probably the best song to me on that album, as it's one of the few that actually pack any musical punch, but the title track and "Death to My Hometown" are solid lyrically. You can really tell he's listened to FM & the Drive-By Truckers a lot, though.

This is why I have held off listening to Wrecking Ball. Working on a Dream was such a meh album and from what I've heard of the Wrecking Ball stuff it sounds pretty much like the kind of music Springsteen's been putting out since The Rising (bar The Seeger Sessions) and only that album and Magic have actually been really great.

Back to Old Ideas. It's samey but Show Me The Place, The Darkness and Going Home are wonderful songs. It's much better than Cohen's last album Dear Heather was. It's not quite as good as Ten New Songs but it has a less synth heavy lounge music feel

which is a good thing.

I've got Wrecking Ball and the new Magnetic Fields album to listen to. Other than that I am terrible at listening to new albums most of the time.

The Magnetic Fields have song of the year tied up with Andrew in Drag. Just fucking perfect. The rest of the album on first listen is a bit shit, but that song is amazing. I just think the lyrics are going to stop anyone from listening to it. Silly Stephin. But it's his best stand alone song since well I dunno, normally there is one great song an album. But this one is special. I can see it holding up in a way California Girls, the Nun's Litany and You Must be out of your Mind failed to. I would put it up there with their super special stuff.

If I was ever to make a Best Of compilation it would have earnt its place, which is impressive given just how many songs they've released and just how much I love them.

Now only getting into Black Keys and they're quality. Anyway, I kind of want some new music to get into, be it old or new. Probably stuff that's a little obscure that I might have not have had a chance to get into, or some of the old classics I just haven't got round to listening to. I like things like Los Campesinos, Maccabees, The Smiths and all stuff like that. But I like a lot of rap, too. Any suggestions would be great.

the new Belbury Poly album is possibly my favourite of the year so far

Belbury Poly is Jim Jupp, who co-runs the Ghost Box (UK) record label with Julian House (The Focus Group). Belbury Poly’s music recalls the churning synth sounds and dreamy analog forays of the 60s vanguard. Similar in tone and texture to Raymond Scott and the whole of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop’s 60s-70s output, Belbury Poly offers off-key melodies, muted rhythms and sounds both hopeful and spooky.

How could anyone not like that?

• 2 weeks later...