The 2012 Music Thread!

METALMAN

The Magnetic Fields have song of the year tied up with Andrew in Drag. Just fucking perfect. The rest of the album on first listen is a bit shit, but that song is amazing. I just think the lyrics are going to stop anyone from listening to it. Silly Stephin. But it's his best stand alone song since well I dunno, normally there is one great song an album. But this one is special. I can see it holding up in a way California Girls, the Nun's Litany and You Must be out of your Mind failed to. I would put it up there with their super special stuff.

If I was ever to make a Best Of compilation it would have earnt its place, which is impressive given just how many songs they've released and just how much I love them.

Andrew in Drag is probably the best song on the new album. Very litttle Magnetic Fields stuff has ever been better than 69 Love Songs for me though.

Tom Gabel of Against Me! has come out as being transgendered and will soon be beginning the transition. I may not be a huge fan of his newer music, but its so nice to hear that he is taking steps to become the woman he is inside.

Also, consider these lyrics from a few CDs ago:

"If I could have chosen, I would've been born a woman,

My mother once told me she would have named me Laura."

Her new name will be Laura. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is pretty great. I had actually forgotten about it since it actually leaked like two months ago but re-listened the other day.

At the time their previous album came out, I wasn't really into dream pop or anything so I need to re-visit that.

Bloom lacks the high points but is overall better.

If stuck on an island, I'd probably take Teenage Dream. The first two tracks are out of this world amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help. Can anyone recommend an up to date music news website that covers almost every genre? I swear if I have to go on NME's website much longer, where all their writers are trying to be the next Swells by writing like humourless versions of Charlie Brooker, I will have to send some sort of explosive device to their office*.

*Please note I will not send some sort of explosive device to their office. That was a joke. One that's as funny as the ones the NME staff write.

RateYourMusic. It's user submitted scores and the like, but it is somewhat useful to discover what people are listening to each year.

I follow mostly NPR and The Fader, also read The Fader's monthly magazine. However, they mostly gravitate towards hip hop but NPR is good, if you ask me. I'd recommend RateYourMusic as well if you want to find new bands to listen to.

RateYourMusic is good, but as I said, user submitted. Rock and metal are very much overrepresented in the overall charts for each year, but it is a plus that you can customize your search so you can search for specific genres during specific years or decades.

EDIT: Metacritic is good too, but I don't find it overly user-friendly unless you know what you are looking for. Acclaimed Music is good too, but compiles end of year lists, so you could search for 2011 stuff, but not 2012. They have message boards discussing 2012 albums, but...

Edited by RockPaperScissors