2012 NFL Season

Dan

Schefter reporting that Redskins are still pursuing Manning.

Because "Hey guys, I have no interest in signing with your or playing in the NFC East" totally means he wants to sign with them. Stupid Redskins.

ESPN is reporting that the Redskins have a deal with the RAms for the 2nd overall pick, though it can't be finalized until the new league year starts at 4pm Tuesday. They reportedly traded their frist round pick this year, plus in 2013 and 2014, and their 2nd round pick this year

That's one 1st rounder too many to move up. This is also a team that needs to add a lot all over, and while you often take the chance on the franchise QB first because if it goes well you can wind up like Indianapolis or NY Giants or Dallas or Buffalo or Philadelphia did and have a decade of being a regular contender. But while there are those teams, the list is even longer of teams who that never worked out for. The list of teams who added depth and had skilled drafting in the latter rounds is a lot longer and has a lot more rings. New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New Orleans for example all built their contenders through having either a lot of draft picks or making the most of each one. Not throwing them away excessively.

Washington better hope RG3 is the real deal, because they threw away an opportunity to add some big-time pieces around him by throwing in the 2014 pick. I guess St. Louis really forced them to by basically saying "Hey Cleveland's talking both 1st rounders this year. What can you do to top that?"

That is a monster deal for the Rams.

2 first rounders for the next 3 years for them, should make them half decent as long as they don't draft a ton of busts.

And everyone is saying Manning to Miami, but wasn't everyone saying Matt Flynn to Miami a couple of weeks back?

That is a monster deal for the Rams.

2 first rounders for the next 3 years for them, should make them half decent as long as they don't draft a ton of busts.

And everyone is saying Manning to Miami, but wasn't everyone saying Matt Flynn to Miami a couple of weeks back?

They only have one first round pick this year, they gave the Redskins theirs. Thats how I've seen Redskins fans trying to justify this insane deal, "oh we really only gave up two first round picks"

Washington better hope RG3 is the real deal, because they threw away an opportunity to add some big-time pieces around him by throwing in the 2014 pick. I guess St. Louis really forced them to by basically saying "Hey Cleveland's talking both 1st rounders this year. What can you do to top that?"

Cleveland wasn't willing to give up both 1st rounders this year.

The speculation is that if Cleveland would've been willing to part with both 1st round picks it would've only taken one or two 2nd rounders to move up, but as usual Cleveland fucked up.

The Rams had their asking price and the Redskins met it. I don't think 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick is all that much to give up for a franchise QB. It's a QB-driven league and teams have shown time and time again that if you don't have a franchise quarterback, you cannot win championships in today's NFL. If RGIII is that guy for the Redskins then what they gave up is merely the price they had to pay to get their QB.

Now they can get him some weapons via free agency.

They really want Luck to fail. Seriously, why get rid of Clark and Freeney? You cleared up 28 mil and let go of Wayne and Saturday....why are the Colts totally taking apart the team?

They seem to be trying to clean the decks and start rebuilding with players in Chuck Pagano's image. So, the cap room is likely going to be used more on the kind of O-linemen they've never had (Carl Nicks?) and defensive players (Mario Williams?). Of course, those names represent the optimistic Colts fan in me talking, as these guys will obviously just be chasing paper if they come to a total rebuilding project.

The new possibility is that Freeney might get straight-up released, since they're not getting any good offers for him. Makes sense, since why would anyone pony up for a guy on a team that's obviously purging?

The only thing worse than Washington giving up the farm for a guy who will get murderized in the NFC East is the Jets giving the Sanchize a 3 yr/$40.5 million extension.

This is like a dude buying his woman a shiny trinket after he's been caught trying to bring another woman home from the bar. I find it hilarious that this extension was announced on a conference call at 10:30 PM on a Friday night, when it would be the quietest it would ever get.

Cleveland wasn't willing to give up both 1st rounders this year.

The speculation is that if Cleveland would've been willing to part with both 1st round picks it would've only taken one or two 2nd rounders to move up, but as usual Cleveland fucked up.

Yet again you have no idea what you are talking about

The Cleveland Browns had stepped up their efforts to try to acquire the No. 2 pick in recent days, going so far as to offer at least three No. 1 picks to the Rams and possibly even a second-round pick, according to one source familiar with the deal. Cleveland sensed it was going to get the deal done, only to be informed that St. Louis planned to deal the coveted No. 2 pick to the Redskins.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-rams

The Browns had the better offer on the table, but based on conflicting reports they either 1. Entered the bidding too late 2. Couldn't beat out the buddy-buddy relationship between Fisher and Shanahan.

Reports are Manning is favoring the Broncos and the Cardinals. I'd rather see him go to Arizona. I didn't peg Peyton as a guy who would go in and knock another young QB out of a starting spot. For better or worse, that's Tebow's team. Yeah, he needs to work on his mechanics, but he's also brought them more success than they've had in years and has them more talked about in the media than they've ever been, or at least since Elway was behind center. You sign Manning and he doesn't win a Super Bowl, people aren't going to be pleased, and I'd say you run the risk of having Tebow walk away when his deal is up.

I know, everyone is lol, Tebow but he steered the franchise back to relevancy. Of course I'm betting Bolen could burn down Tim Tebow's house and favorite church and he'd still resign with the Broncos because they believed in him once, or something. If Denver signs Peyton and I'm Jacksonville's new owner, I'm deviously twirling my mustache and thinking of offering up Gabbert and whatever else it takes to get Tebow.

On the Arizona front, you have Kevin Kolb, who no one seems to like and doesn't appear to be someone who should be a starting QB in the NFL.

So not only did the Redskins give up their first rounders for the next two years, they've also lost $36 million in cap space.

The Cowboys also lose $10 million because the league is against us Jerry Jones is an idiot.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to inform teams of these penalties. It's a really shitty situation, because they broke the unwritten rule of giving out front loaded contracts in the uncapped year, which teams were warned against doing. Of course the league went ahead and approved all those contracts anyways. Stupidity everywhere.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Moss do nothing and this whole stint be forgotten about, but certainly a gamble worth taking for SF.

Washington and Dallas and the NFL are all fools, the whole situation is one of those "Well we told you guys we'd punish you, and you didn't listen" punishments that happens in high school when you do something not really wrong but you're told not to do, then a few weeks later they go and punish you for it. Happened to me.

Washington is really fucked though, Griffin better be the best QB ever or "Hail to the Redskins" will have to be rewritten to "Hugs for the Skins fans".