DMN randomly ranks his favorite British bands

DMN in the House

So, some coworkers and I were talking about this, and everyone gives me shit because I don't have The Beatles at number one (or two!), and because Queen doesn't make my top five.

Five to one:

Five: I'm tempted to put Pink Floyd here, but, fuck it, I'm going with The Sex Pistols for the punk cred. No, really, I like the Pistols more than they deserve, they are scuzzy, horrible, and bad, but I love them.

Four: This was going to be Led Zepplin. Then I remembered that Black Sabbath were from England. Metal. That is all.

Three: The Beatles. Yeah, fuck it, the greatest band ever is only third. Who beat them? Is it Oasis? Lady Sovereign? Seriously, though, The Beatles are awesome, but they aren't...

Two: The Rolling Stones . 'Under My Thumb' (I just found out Social Distortion did a cover of it, totally in love!), 'Brown Sugar', 'Sympathy For The Devil', 'Satisfaction', 'Get Off of My Cloud', and fuck...just...'Wild Horses', man. 'Wild Horses'.

Number One! The Clash . Because, yeah, no, this is my list, and The Clash are probably my second favorite band of all time. I could list songs, but this is just personal.

Tell me I'm wrong, I know, I know. The Who probably deserves a spot, honestly, but, yeah, no excuse, I just love the Sex Pistols. It's the sixteen year old in me.

I'd say that is a reasonable list. I'd probably sub the Sex Pistols out for Pink Floyd. Punk credibility, but it's hard to put a band in a top 5 when they basically just had one LP. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but they had a stellar run of around 6 years and at least 3 classic albums. Just one man's opinion.

I'd have The Who or Led Zeppelin in there instead of The Sex Pistols, and the order would be different but yeah, that's alright. Pink Floyd probably deserve a spot pretty high up too like RPS said. The only disagreement I really have is The Sex Pistols, the rest I could probably change my mind over all day.

Oh man, this is tough. Mine, in no particular order, would probably be The Stones, Zeppelin, Motorhead, Sabbath and The Beatles.

Pistols were a close call but I can't really justify putting them ahead of any of those bands with basically one record, no matter how good it was.

If I were to do my favorite, it'd probably look something like 1. The Clash, 2. Led Zeppelin, 3. Blur, 4. Portishead, 5. Elton John. Elton John probably is the only odd fit, because his acclaim and greatness comes from singles rather than LPs, but given how amazing his singles discography is, I think he'd deserve a mention.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

You're just weird. :P

Honestly, some people do. I used to think they were a bit overrated but as I've grown older, I've really started to love most everything they did. I even used to prefer the self titled album to London Calling but have since changed my mind on that.

I think The Clash are kind of overrated too. I don't even like London Calling that much outside of a couple of songs ("Train in Vain" is absolutely phenomenal).

I think if your favorite song is Train in Vain, chances are you won't be a huge fan of the Clash. It was a pop song that they didn't want to even release on London Calling, so they hid it at the end of the album and I believe the early prints didn't even list it as a track. Train in Vain is a lot different from their body of work at that time.

People have different tastes on bands, but I personally rank the Clash as probably the all-time greatest bands. Their whole discography (minus Cut the Crap) is untouchable for me.

Yeah, I would've said that my favorite Clash song was Train In Vain so I'm pretty much lost there, haha.

It'll probably just be a thing where I need to be in the right mood really - I've gotten into a lot of stuff recently that I never thought I would before.

Rudie and White Man are awfully good. Despite what i said about the Clash before, I never tire of those two.

Anyway...my five:

Beatles at #1. Really obvious, but I cant see past them. The other four? Let's say the Rolling Stones, the Smiths, David Bowie & the Who. These aren't necessarily my favourites - I've tried to be a bit objective, and all five have certainly made a meaningful and lasting contribution.

Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Cream are vastly important and also deserve a mention.