European Football Thread

IAceI

An interesting article looking at the way FFP might work for teams who overspend whilst outside of European competition (e.g. Liverpool or Monaco) and then qualify for the CL. For example, it seems likely that they would be allowed to enter the Champions League unhindered next season, only potentially facing sanctions later, whereas if a CL club like Man City or PSG breached FFP in the same time frame, their sanctions would be implemented more immediately.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/liverpool%E2%80%99s-accounts-raise-intereting-question-of-%E2%80%98fairness%E2%80%99-of-ffp

What was it people were saying about La Liga having no upsets earlier?

That it had no upsets..?

It was a conversation where it was suggested that La Liga wasn't like the Premiership, and it didn't have 20 competitive teams that could potentially beat anyone on any given weekend.

• Admin
  • 2 weeks later...

Pep Guardiola speaks on his exit from Barcelona: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1755840/bayern-munich-coach-pep-guardiola-explains-barcelona-exit?cc=5739

“[The defeat to Chelsea in the 2011/12 Champions League semi final] was a moment of great sadness -- as if suddenly someone had switched the floodlights off,” he told the Audi Annual Report in one of his rare interviews. “We were better than our opponents but in the second leg conceded an unnecessary goal and the next thing we knew we were out of the competition.

“That was a very hard defeat for me. I had the feeling that I was no longer able to reach my team, and if you can no longer reach your players then it is time to move on.”

To summarise: Chelsea broke Pep Guardiola's Barcelona.

You're welcome. (H)