European Football Thread

IAceI

• Admin

Belgian defender Daniel van Buyten has announced his retirement from all football at the age of 36. The centre-back's contract at Bayern Munich expired at the end of last season, and despite an offer from Belgian club Anderlecht, he has decided to call it a day. "When I commit to a project, I do so 100 per cent," van Buyten said. "My body tells me it isn't possible and I do not want to fall short of fulfilling the expectations of a club like Anderlecht." Van Buyten won 84 international caps for Belgium and played in the 2002 and 2014 World Cups.

• Admin

Antonio Conte is the new Italy manager.

Luis Suarez will start training with Barcelona on Friday and will be presented to the club's fans on Monday, the Spanish giants confirm.In a statement on their official website, Barcelona say: "Following the announcement of the verdict by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) regarding the appeal against the sanction imposed on Luis Suarez by Fifa, Barcelona hereby announces that the player will join the first team's training session scheduled for tomorrow Friday at 9.30 AM CET in the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper."Likewise, the public presentation of Suarez as a new FC Barcelona player will be held on Monday at the Camp Nou, on the occasion of the Joan Gamper Trophy match."

It's a fight back that will last a year. SS5 is fucked without CL football.

I can't remember, did BT get the CL exclusively, or will there still be a few games on ITV?

Also, there's no reason why Sky shouldn't have bought the Portuguese league rights. It would have padded out the channel a bit.

Turns on BT Vision is getting Sky Sports 5 next month anyway for free.

SS5 has 8 of the 10 opening La Liga fixtures live next weekend.

Malaga v Bilbao, Sevilla v Valencia, Almeria v Espanyol on Sat

Eibar v Sociedad, Barca v Elche, Levante v Villarreal on Sun

Real Madrid v Cordoba and Rayo v Atletico on Mon

Real and Atletico play later due to their participation in the Spanish Super Cup. Both legs are also on SS5 at 10pm and 9.30pm this Tuesday and Friday, respectively.

Looks like they have 6 league games on the weekend after as well. Good news for the "why do they only show the Barca and Real games? :/" bunch.

• Like 1

• Admin

SS5 has 8 of the 10 opening La Liga fixtures live next weekend.

Malaga v Bilbao, Sevilla v Valencia, Almeria v Espanyol on Sat

Eibar v Sociedad, Barca v Elche, Levante v Villarreal on Sun

Real Madrid v Cordoba and Rayo v Atletico on Mon

Real and Atletico play later due to their participation in the Spanish Super Cup. Both legs are also on SS5 at 10pm and 9.30pm this Tuesday and Friday, respectively.

Looks like they have 6 league games on the weekend after as well. Good news for the "why do they only show the Barca and Real games? :/" bunch.

This is handy. We should try and do a weekly post of all the European games that are airing on SS5/BT.

• Admin
The recent conflict between Russia and Ukraine has impacted directly on football in the region, with three clubs from the annexed Crimea region - including two formerly from Ukraine's top tier - starting the new season in the Russian lower leagues. The clubs - TSK Simferopol, SKChF Sevastopol and Zhemchuzhina Yalta - made their debuts in the Russian Cup this week and have been placed in the third tier of Russian league football. They will play their first matches in the division next week.
Martin Odegaard is set to become Norway's youngest ever international after being called up for the friendly with the United Arab Emirates on 27 August. The Stromsgodset midfielder will be aged 15 years and 253 days on the day of the game in Stavanger. "This is a dream come true," said Odegaard. "I am shocked." Manchester City, Manchester United and Barcelona have all made scouting trips to watch Odegaard this season.

• Admin

Finished 1-1 ahead of Friday's second leg.

The President of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) is to face disciplinary investigations from Uefa over alleged racist comments.
Carlo Tavecchio, 71, caused controversy during his election campaign in July for calling African players "banana eaters" during a speech.
He beat former AC Milan midfielder Demetrio Albertini in the vote.
Uefa confirmed its chief ethics and disciplinary inspector will submit a report before a decision is made.
Tavecchio has already apologised for the comments made during an address to a summer assembly of Italy's amateur leagues on 28 July.