Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I never said it's crazy to enjoy that. I enjoy a cinematic clusterfuck too, I just said I think it's not going to live up to your expectations as a "so bad/crazy it's good" movie.

Edited by Killer Cloudy

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of assumptions going on in here. I'm a realist more than anything. I'm being optimistic about the film because it's taking steps that I happen to enjoy. I'm well aware it might not end up being as great as I want it to be but I'm not going to let pictures decide that for me.

• Like 3

It's a little amusing that people are scoffing at bizarre costume design when the movie everybody loves right now is Fury Road. They're not the same obviously but I guarantee you that some of the shit in that movie would have looked terrible in out of context set photos.

Its interesting that people are hating on these tattoos. I mean they do look a little odd, but its a comic movie so stuff is going to be out there. If the film ends up being awesome will people say "That film was incredible, but those facial tattoos completely ruined it?"

If there's something people should be bitching about its the exclusion of the CW-verse characters from these movies :(

I don't so much mind the CW universe being seperate, what I do mind is characters being offlimts to the CW if they're going to be in a movie. There is no reason we can't have TV Deadshot or Harley and movie Deadshot or Harley at the same time.

• Like 1

I mean, there's nothing wrong with disliking the aesthetics of a movie and liking the film at the same time. The tattoos look dumb, but that doesn't mean it won't be a fun movie. It won't be the first time someone has looked goofy in a good movie. The silliness comes in if you don't watch it simply based off promotional photos, I think.

• Like 3

I don't think it's ridiculous to say "I watched the trailers and saw the promotional shots and this movie doesn't interest me" because there are a ton of movies coming out, week after week and no one has time to get caught up with them. If the material that is being produced to make you want to see the movie isn't doing its job or having an adverse reaction.. it's not insane to say "I'm not going to bother with this movie".

• Like 2

I don't think it's ridiculous to say "I watched the trailers and saw the promotional shots and this movie doesn't interest me" because there are a ton of movies coming out, week after week and no one has time to get caught up with them. If the material that is being produced to make you want to see the movie isn't doing its job or having an adverse reaction.. it's not insane to say "I'm not going to bother with this movie".

That's not what was being said, though. The prediction, based on a few stills, is that a movie is going to be bad. And that is just crazy because there is no context involved to make you think that.

If you look at the pictures and don't like what you see, it's up to you whether you want to wait for the context go show up and determine it's bad. If you want out just from a few pictures, that's on you. I'm not going to attack your decision because it's you that's possibly missing out. But don't automatically say that the film is going to be bad because, no matter how much you want to believe it, you cannot predict the future.

tl;dr If you see pictures of the Red Hot Chili Peppers practicing for an upcoming tour, and you don't like the way their instruments or clothes or staging looks, you have the right to your opinion on the matter but you cannot outright clai, nor do you have a basis for thinking it's going to be a bad show.

"The silliness comes in if you don't watch it simply based off promotional photos, I think."

Is what I was directly replying to. The unofficial pictures could be taken out of context, seeing actual footage and sanctioned pictures come out - I can get the feel of the movie. I can have notion of what it's going to be like. When I see a trailer, I can see if that matches and if it doesn't - I probably won't go out of my way to watch the movie. It's not all that big of a thing.

There is no prediction here that movie is going to be bad. I have ZERO interest in seeing Casablanca or Citizen Kane. But I don't assume that they are bad movies.

• Like 1

But even still, they're just pictures. Films have so much going on beyond what some character's costume looks like. At least with a trailer you get more a context because it's the proper medium. You get to see the film in action at that point. If you are basing watching a film on pictures then you're kind of doing it wrong.

That's taking what I said out of context, though. Like LL said, you have every right not to watch a movie you're not interested in, but to say it's a bad movie based off a still photograph that's just used as promotional material is just something you can't say.

The quality of the promotion oftentimes is not in sync of of the film's quality as well. Edge of Tomorrow had horrible promotion, everyone wrote it off as just another summer blockbuster, but it surprised everyone by how good it was. Something like Godzilla, on the other hand, had an awesome trailer, the poster looked sick, but the movie itself disappointed a lot of people.

• Like 1

Neither of you are responding to the subject matter that I'm trying to defend, so I'm pretty much done with the topic because you are arguing with something that I agree with you on - I'm not talking about anything to do with a movie's quality as a moving picture, how it is being made or the sensibilities behind it. And I apologize if you think I'm taking your words out of context too, I'm not really trying to - I was trying to respond directly to the notion that it's silly to write something off because you don't like the aesthetic it purposefully tries to give off.

I seriously hope you don't try to argue against the idea of seeing something and knowing that it's not going to be something that you want to see. Edge of Tomorrow was something that I didn't have any interest in so I didn't queue up to see it on opening night. Some people said that it was good so I waited until it came out on blu-ray and watched it at a friends place where I thought it was alright, but still not something I would've spent money to see in the theatres. I much preferred seeing it like that and I'm still happy that I decided not to go see it based off anything I had seen from the makers of the movie beforehand.

• Like 1