Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Anything that removes them from the Singerverse is worth whatever the price is. Its tired, played out and has been going on for 15 fucking years. Let it die.

So we're just ignoring the fact that Days of Future Past exceeded every movie before it both critically and financially? Gotcha.

You're clearly not a fan, which is fine, but let's not pretend like Fox has any reason whatsoever not to continue with the franchise as it stands today.

Just because something makes money doesn't mean it isn't tired and played out. They made a shit ton of Saw movies and most of them made money, doesn't mean they were good. Its a boring franchise that doesn't even come close to reaching it's full potential and never will until they break away from Singer has his garbage. First Class was a glimpse of what they could do, then they let Singer come back in and fart all over it. Sure Days was better than X3, but that's not really an accomplishment. Same shitty wire work, same meandering plot with one big action sequence for the trailers and not much else and then another lame ending that doesn't reach a resolution. Hmm, turns out you can't trust Magneto and dagnabit, he got away again!

There's just soooo much more that could be done with this franchise if they got away from Singer's stuff, and First Class showed that. Then they ran right back into it.

I didn't say that it making money meant that it wasn't played out, I was saying that the fact that it made the most out of all the X-Men films made meant that it wasn't. The Saw movies made money for sure but they didn't see the box office gross increase with additional installments of the franchise and the fact that DOFP did that suggests to me (and presumably to Fox) that the franchise is anything but "tired". That was my only contention because it felt like we were talking about the viability of the franchise as opposed to the creative aspect but even then I'm not sure that I agree because rebooting the universe using DOFP was an interesting way of going about it instead of pulling a Sony and just saying "deal with it".

I mean, I don't think it was a secret that I was dreading seeing Singer behind the camera of an X-Men film again myself but he did a good job with DOFP so I have to give him props for that. Also, the sense I'm getting from every piece of news about the universe is that it's Simon Kinberg's ship to captain now anyways.

Edited by livid

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks better than Gotham. Fuck, it looks better than the episode of Arrow I just forced my way through.

Hunky Jimmy Olsen can GTFO forever, though.

I'm pretty sure it's not so much a trailer as it is the whole god damn pilot and also looks like a sequel to The Devil Wears Prada.

Is there a reason why they can't just say "Superman"?

Nah, fuck all that, that trailer (despite being way too revealing) was fucking great.

I'm all in. It's pretty clearly aiming for a different audience than Arrow and Flash, but it still looks solid. I don't love the skirt, but eh, if the show itself is solid it won't matter and they'll have plenty of chances to change it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm willing to give it a shot at least. I don't think it looks terrible whatsoever. Except for hunky Jimmy Olsen as GoGo mentioned. That's dumb.

We can only hope.

I'm pretty shocked at this point that we're getting a Superman family spin-off before a Batfamily one, though. Not that it isn't a breath of fresh air, but if you told me we'd see a Supergirl TV show before Nightwing/Batgirl I would've never believed you.

Birds of Prey?

Since they started making good shows, anyway.

Also, holy shit some of the reactions I've read to this. It's hilarious that some people can't consider the idea that just because it's a superhero show - hey, maybe it's not aimed at you? Jeez. BUT IT'S SO GIRLY. Hey fuckwits, you're going to watch it anyway because it's a superhero show, so why not aim for a different audience if you've already confirmed one?

• Like 1

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, they rarely have any idea of what to do with the Batman license. It's mindboggling that after the success of Arrow and The Flash, they aren't tapping some Bat family character to start a show around. Nightwing would be perfect, Batgirl in that format, on the CW would probably kick all kinds of ass, and could easily match the tone of the comics. Why Rob Thomas hasn't been put in charge of making that happen is beyond me. Especially considering the success that network had with Buffy and to an extent with Veronica Mars.

Instead, they chose to make Gotham. Oh you like Batman? Enjoy him as a kid, on a network that can rarely produce hour dramas that last a season.

DC is not good at things, and neither is Warner Brothers.

Birds of Prey?

Since they started making good shows, anyway.

Also, holy shit some of the reactions I've read to this. It's hilarious that some people can't consider the idea that just because it's a superhero show - hey, maybe it's not aimed at you? Jeez. BUT IT'S SO GIRLY. Hey fuckwits, you're going to watch it anyway because it's a superhero show, so why not aim for a different audience if you've already confirmed one?

Those people are the worst, but there are also people on the other extreme that I'm seeing. "The writing is breathtaking." It's what now?

Instead, they chose to make Gotham. Oh you like Batman? Enjoy him as a kid, on a network that can rarely produce hour dramas that last a season.

I believe that's called George Lucas syndrome.

Like fuck, Gotham should have been Gotham Central, set in the current time, with Batman active and referenced but never seen. You could have made it Rene Montoya-centric and had it on the CW, sharing the Arrow/Flash universe.

• Like 4

Re: Tristy's Civil War "leak" from last page, there was a similar "leak" before AoU was released that sounded more reasonable than that one, and it didn't happen.

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit.

Like fuck, Gotham should have been Gotham Central, set in the current time, with Batman active and referenced but never seen. You could have made it Rene Montoya-centric and had it on the CW, sharing the Arrow/Flash universe.

They fucked it up even further by blowing their wad on every single villain possible for season 1. Future seasons will be like what, Condiment King?

• Like 2