EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Fall Out Boy when I was in high school? Totally awesome.. in fact in those days I am pretty sure that I was the Fall Out Boy guy and severely mocked for it - but even these days I can go back and listen to some of the stuff off their last two albums - the others are a bit too angsty for my tastes right now. But I cannot believe that they are this high up.

Kanye is awesome - I pretty much don't give a shit what he does outside of his music either.

Queens of the Stone Age fit snuggly into my generic rock category that I couldn't give less of a shit about.

Green Day.. their early stuff I still enjoy and at the time of American Idiot and that direction taken by the band, I was on board but.. over time anything from those albums just kind of wore me down until I was tired of them. Still haven't taken the time to listen to their new album though, which I hear it pretty awesome and a slight return to their roots.

Tom Waits.. I like more and more as the years go on.

I don't get the appeal of Kanye at all. I really tried, I've listened all of his albums except for Heartbreak I think but I still don't get it. His beats and production are really great most of the time, I'll give you that, but I think as a rapper he is really average at best.

Don't bother with Heartbreaks, in case you were thinking of it. It won't change your mind!

808s & Heartbreaks is the one with the "Love Lockdown" song that's supposed to be more electronic sounding, right? Yeah, that's a fairly weak Kanye album. There's a song or two on it that I dig, but compared to something like College Dropout or Late Registration, it's pretty subpar.

Yes QOTSA made it in! wub.gif

Didn't really Like Kanye until 'Twisted Fantasy' came out. That was a great album

Haven't heard of Tom Waits

Green Day and Fall Out Boy are really meh to me.

Things I've learned from this thread:

-Papa Roach is still a thing

-Skummy has never actually heard a power metal song (or, at the very least, not an Iced Earth song) and is probably basing his view the entire genre on Dragonforce, which is like basing country music on "My Sharona". And yes, I know My Sharona isn't country, that's the point.

-People make more of a fuss about Paramore than Smashing Pumpkins being inexplicably ranked under Pearl Jam, because singers that look like 16 year old girls with boob jobs.

-Rage Against The Machine are ranked over The White Stripes and Radiohead and that's awesome. Killing In The Name feels to me like it's 20 minutes longer than it really is, but just about everything else Rage does is great.

If you think Hayley Williams looks like anyone of any age with a boob job then I'm convinced you've never seen someone with a boob job or you've never seen her.

He was talking about Billy Corgan... :shifty:

808s and Heartbreak really isn't the same as the other albums anyway. Those ones he spent a ton of time on, and 808s is more of an experimental album he released in pretty short notice after his mother died and his girlfriend left him. It's just sort of this weird "here's what's going on in my head right now and I want to try and convey that through autotune and '80s synth music" project that he decided to actually release.

That being said, "Street Lights" is on that album and that song is fantastic.

Fall Out Boy - I dug some of their stuff. Haven't thought about them in ages though. Weird to see them on this list at all, much less this high.

Kanye West - What I've heard, I've mostly really liked. I don't know rap and hip-hop that well, but he seemingly creates some of the most unique examples of his genre.

QOTSA - I like what seems to be Josh Homme's philosophy as an artist, but I've never dug into their material much. I do like what I've heard.

Green Day - I've really soured on them recently, but I used to dig pretty much all of their stuff through American Idiot. But I've come to feel American Idiot got more praise than it deserved, and their 90s material is mostly good within the context of that decade.

Tom Waits - Like Leonard Cohen, I have no doubt he would be a favorite of mine if I would just take the time to sit down and listen through an album or two. He's often mentioned in the same breath as other artists I adore, and I do love what I've heard.

Yay! TMG! Yay! The Stones! Yay! Velvet Underground! Yay! Frank Turner!

.. Biffy Clyro, let me look this shit up.

.. okay, it's alright I guess, but nowhere near "better than The Rolling Stones or Velvet Underground" alright. All in all, though, yay this grouping!

The Rolling Stones are a good rock n roll band.

The Velvet Underground making top 15 is great progress. Next year, top 10!

Biffy Clyro remains the worst name for a band I've ever heard. Even worse than Gnarls Barkley.

I've only heard one Frank Turner song but it's a great one, and also he hates "Imagine" by John Lennon so he's probably awesome.

Mountain Goats are good enough. "This Year" is a favorite.

Probably the best grouping we've had yet, really.

The Stones and the Velvet Underground both fall under that category of I've never really checked them out and I'm not sure I can truly be bothered to do so.

First three Biffy albums were wonderful, everything since has been utter guff.

I love Million Dead, they were fun. Frank Turner is fucking woeful though and I want to punch his stupid head in. I also know more than I should about him and he's a fucking idiot. Basically.

Mountain Goats are perhaps my favourite band in the world right now. They're just so friggin' lovely.

The Stones and the Velvet Underground both fall under that category of I've never really checked them out and I'm not sure I can truly be bothered to do so.

The Velvet Underground have four albums. Come on, man!

I have only ever heard Stones' Sticky Fingers and some of their hits and I liked it. The Velvet Underground are good and I like them but I find them greatly overrated. Glad to see them place this high, though. I have heard a few Biffy Clyro songs, they weren't me but I can see why people like them. Eh, I tried liking Frank Turner for the longest of times but he just didn't click. Thanks to ADG for introducing me though. The same thing goes for The Mountain Goats. I know they have a scary huge following here on EWB, so I will not go into too much detail about how I feel about them. :shifty: