Your 2012 Album of the Year?

Maxx

Oh yeah, add Battles' Dross Glop remix thing to my list as well. Because that shit is awesome.

I always tend to steer clear of remix albums, especially for albums as good as Gloss Drop because hey, why even bother fucking around with something as good as Battles? Is it really that good? I came across it on Spotify the other day and just skipped past it because of the aforementioned, but I figure your recommendation is always worth a listen at least.

Also I'm finally listening to the new Deftones record. It's fun, they're definitely one of the most consistently interesting bands in the world and I don't think they've ever released anything outright bad. My only complaint is that they rarely step out of their comfort zone, but hey, the same can be said for a lot of big name bands. But hey, it's getting me pumped for seeing them next year, so that's good.

On a year end list I'd place this below Converge as far as 'rock' is concerned, but hey, the Converge album is fucking beautiful.

Oh yeah, add Battles' Dross Glop remix thing to my list as well. Because that shit is awesome.

I always tend to steer clear of remix albums, especially for albums as good as Gloss Drop because hey, why even bother fucking around with something as good as Battles? Is it really that good? I came across it on Spotify the other day and just skipped past it because of the aforementioned, but I figure your recommendation is always worth a listen at least.

Also I'm finally listening to the new Deftones record. It's fun, they're definitely one of the most consistently interesting bands in the world and I don't think they've ever released anything outright bad. My only complaint is that they rarely step out of their comfort zone, but hey, the same can be said for a lot of big name bands. But hey, it's getting me pumped for seeing them next year, so that's good.

On a year end list I'd place this below Converge as far as 'rock' is concerned, but hey, the Converge album is fucking beautiful.

:wub:

Personally, I really dug it because it is some pretty inventive remixes. It isn't just bog-standard "bom-tsch-clap" thing; granted, not all of them are straight 10's but overall it is really a good effort. The Yamantaka Eye remix is especially good. I think it is worth checking out if you are already a fan of Battles, really.

I'm going to echo Grizzly Bear and Frank Ocean, but also mention that I really liked a lot of the more interesting hip hop releases - Mykki Blanco, Le1f, Action Bronson, Azealia Banks and Death Grips all had stellar LPs/mixtapes.

1. Death Grips - The Money Store

2. Pop. 1280 - The Horror

3. Wu Block - Wu Block

4. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

5. Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls

6. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

7. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

8. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

9. Grimes - Visions

10. Gary Clark Jr. - Blak and Blu

11. Odd Future - Odd Future Tape Vol. 2

12. Trampled By Turtles - Stars and Satellites

13. Good Music - Cruel Summer

14. Dr. John - Locked Down

15. Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

16. Band of Horses - Mirage Rock

17. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

18. Death Grips - No Love Deep Web

19. The Sword - Apocryphon

20. High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

21. Dirty Guv'nahs - Somewhere Beneath These Southern Skies

22. Chris Robinson Brotherhood - The Magic Door

23. The Men - Open Your Heart

24. Calexico - Algiers

25. Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World

26. The Sheepdogs - s/t

27. Baroness - Green/Yellow

28. Reks - Rebelutionary

29. Rush - Clockwork Angels

30. Ben Sollee - Half Made Man

1. Jack White - Blunderbuss

2. Ty Segall - Twins

3. Ty Segall & White Fence - Hair

4. Ben Kweller - Go Fly a Kite

5. Pujol - The United States of Being

6. Ty Segall Band - Slaughterhosue

7. Explorers Club - Grand Hotel

8. Brendan Benson - What Kind of World

9. The Hives - Lex Hives

10. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Man, I still need to listen to that new Titus Andronicus because I absolutely loved The Monitor. I heard around the 'net that they had a bit of style shift on it, for the worse, but I am still eager to hear it. Also, unrelated, Rhine Gold is a good call.

Yeah, I didn't realize the new Titus Andronicus had come out. Silly story time! I remember the first time I saw them -- according to them, it was their first time on a major tour outside of Jersey. They were opening for Los Campesinos. Baltimore was the first stop on the tour. Because it was so close to Jersey, a bunch of their friends/Jersey kids were there in the crowd and sang along. Everything was going really well, the crowd was super into them, and then the singer jumped up onto an amp, lost his balance, and sent both the amp and himself toppling to the ground. They managed to break an amp in the first set of their first tour within the first few songs. Such a fun show though.

My top 5 releases this year are probably:

1. Frank Ocean- Channel Orange

2. Kendrick Lamar- good kid M.A.A.D. City

3. Rick Ross- God Forgives, I Don't

4. Schoolboy Q- Habits & Contradictions

5. G.O.O.D. Music- Cruel Summer

Yach, in my opinion Cruel Summer is massively overrated. But your first two would be in my list, too. And you have to include the Trilogy of The Weeknd. Man, what a deep kid that is. Awesome "neo R'n'B" if you wanna call it that way.

I also enjoyed Coexist from the xx; and even though it was a mixtape and not an album: 1999 by Joey Badass is one hell of a hip hop tape.

EDIT: And the moment when it hits you. This is my first post since 05. ( well only had been 2 or 3 before)

Edited by Soft

Niki & the Dove - "Instinct"

Grimes - "Visions"

Twin Shadow - "Confess"

Beach House - "Bloom"

Sleigh Bells - "Reign of Terror"

Purity Ring - "Shrines"

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - "Here"

There was a lot of stuff I really liked from 2012 but those are just my favorites. Crystal Castles, Alabama Shakes, Father John Misty, El Perro Del Mar, Tamaryn, Bat for Lashes, DIIV, Tame Impala, and Lana Del Rey all put out stuff I really enjoyed as well.

My top 5 releases this year are probably:

1. Frank Ocean- Channel Orange

2. Kendrick Lamar- good kid M.A.A.D. City

3. Rick Ross- God Forgives, I Don't

4. Schoolboy Q- Habits & Contradictions

5. G.O.O.D. Music- Cruel Summer

Yach, in my opinion Cruel Summer is massively overrated. But your first two would be in my list, too. And you have to include the Trilogy of The Weeknd. Man, what a deep kid that is. Awesome "neo R'n'B" if you wanna call it that way.

I also enjoyed Coexist from the xx; and even though it was a mixtape and not an album: 1999 by Joey Badass is one hell of a hip hop tape.

EDIT: And the moment when it hits you. This is my first post since 05. ( well only had been 2 or 3 before)

Oh I agree with you that it's overrated, but like Lowerdeck pointed out, it has some great songs. Clique, Mercy, New God Flow, and To The World are among my favorite songs of the year. This has just been a weak year for hip hop when it comes to complete projects. There were a lot of decent-good releases but I think my top 4 were the only truly great ones of the year. It's all about the singles now.

P.S. I don't count Trilogy since everything but the bonus tracks are from 2011, but House of Balloons was my favorite release of last year.