Characters you hate (that you aren't supposed to)

Benji

**SPOILERS LIKELY, BUT TRY TO KEEP SPECIFICS IN SPOILER TAGS**

Simple question - which characters from TV shows or movies do you hate, that the writers didn't intend for you to hate?

I'm going for two of EWB's least favourite shows right out of the gate - Penny from Big Bang Theory and Rachel from Glee. Penny because somewhere along the way she went from likeable and empathetic to the other characters, to basically insulting them at every chance. Rachel because she's basically always been shallow and self-involved. You're supposed to sympathise with her because she's essentially the protagonist of the show, but instead she's constantly an utterly unlikeable diva who seems to care even less about the rest of the characters than I do about any of the "Saved By The Glee: The New Class" characters.

Also can't stand Tara in True Blood. If ever a character was more annoying, I've yet to see them.

She seems to be the centre of every fucking problem they get into. I liked season four, where she seemed to be changing, but then she went right back into being the damsel in distress rather than the badass she's been shown as. I was delighted when she was shot at the end of season four, only for her to come back as a sodding vampire. Lame.

• Like 1

The female lead in Warm Bodies. Good god, talk about a character whose actions went against everything the movie had set up about her. Can't even kill zombies with a weed-whacker? Dude, you're in a gun-toting teenage militia.

EDIT: Oh, you said TV shows. Uh... I don't watch a lot of TV. So. The Rock?

If we're talking Glee, my answer is "nearly everyone". The supposedly likeable characters all exhibit a really selfish morality. I agree with Rachel and will add Kurt and Artie and Mr. Schuester.

I like Penny from Big Bang though. Whether she's in "airhead" mode or whether, as seems to happen a lot in later episodes, she's drunk, rowdy and sarcastic.

• Like 2

that girl in new girl.

i don't think we're meant to hate her, are we? I do with a passion.

Sookie in True Blood. her naivety is never cute, she's whiney, single minded, and selfish. her and bill were a huge part of me stopping watching the show.

carrie bradshaw in sex and the city. vile, obnoxious, selfish human being. at her most repugnant and self-involved during the first sex and the city movie. hideous role model for women.

Jack in Lost, mainly for the overkill nature of his appearances and how he was always the focal point despite having so little to offer whenever he was on-screen. I tend to root for bad guys a lot because they're so much more interesting, but never before have I wanted the villain to win more than the Ben/Jack rivalry in Season 3.

As far as Glee is concerned I really dislike Kurt. It's always seemed to me that he's going out of his way to be as different as possible and then is the first to complain that people are treating him differently or making fun of him for being different. I also really don't rate Colfer's singing voice and Kurt sings too often as it is. Blaine on the other hand is a great character. I've also noticed Rachel's over-bearing selfishness but I kinda feel we were conditioned to that in the first few series.

I don't mind Penny in BBT either, she's fallen into the Leonard to Sheldon role of being there to talk to so Amy can say something funny.

Jack in Lost, mainly for the overkill nature of his appearances and how he was always the focal point despite having so little to offer whenever he was on-screen. I tend to root for bad guys a lot because they're so much more interesting, but never before have I wanted the villain to win more than the Ben/Jack rivalry in Season 3.

This. Between sort of half-way through Season 2 until about the last episode of Season 6 he was just so blah. In fact, I wouldn't say I hated him, I just didn't care for any of his story arcs.

I concur with Ted Mosby from HIMYM. Guy is a twat.

Ted in How I Met Your Mother. An insufferable character.

I can definitely see why people think this but I find Marshall much more irritating. His "I love Lilly, she's my one and only" schtick is more annoying than Ted's quest to find "the one" in my view.

Edit: Also Carrie Heffernan in King of Queens, man she's such a bitch... though I'm not sure that isn't the point.

Oh and Marge Simpson, she's just so rarely funny compared to the rest of the family and her episodes tend not to be funny... and on the occasion that they are, it's usually in spite of her.