Characters you hate (that you aren't supposed to)

Benji

I lost a little bit of respect for Penny when she thought nothing of 'borrowing' stuff from a charity donation bin.

Yeah, that was the episode where I realised that I didn't just not like her anymore, but I actively disliked her.

Didn't help that the episode as a whole was my least favourite BBT episode.

Nicholas Rush-Stargate Universe.

I gather he was meant to be a flawed person but I could never get into the show, because I wanted to punch the character in the face.

Only a few episodes in another character punches him in the face and abandons him on a planet to die alone, so maybe you should give it another shot. >_>

I used to like Penny in Big Bang Theory but think it's true that her character traits have become lost in the newer series. She isn't very likeable at all anymore and is actually a bit of a dick. Hell, even Howard has become a much nicer person than her.

HIMYM - I don't mind Ted or Marshall but I can see why their respective 'schtick' can be irritating. I wouldn't want to be friends with them were they real people, put it that way.

I never really liked Julie Benz's character Rita in Dexter. I got why she was an attractive proposition for the sociopath murderer Dexter, but I always found her too uppety and annoying even though there were good reasons for her to be like that. Spoiler -

When she died at the end of season 4 all of my friends who watch the show said they were extremely gutted and cried and everything. I just thought "at least she's not going to be buzzing around being annoying anymore".

:shifty:

Are we supposed to like Skyler in Breaking Bad? Always hated her too.

• Like 1

Lana in Smallville. God, she awful.

Yes! God, she was bad. And coupled with the writers inability to kill people off when they weren't needed any more, it was even worse! Chloe also fell to this in the later series - she wasn't needed at all any more, but hey I KNOWS COMPUTERS so let's keep her around. Everything with her in the later series was stupid, especially when they did the marriage with Jimmy Olson that fucked up his comic backstory so much, they pretty much retconned him out of existence. "LOL NO THE ONE FROM THE COMICS IS HIS LITTLE BROTHER LOLOL".

Man that show sucked a lot at times. Totally worth it for Lois, Green Arrow and anything with Zod, though.

Skyler is a strange one, in response to Adam. It's hard to like her unless you look at the show objectively, where you'll realize you're not actually supposed to be rooting for Walter, because he's an awful man. It's almost a cult of personality in that, despite being essentially a villain at this point, people are still following Walter. I think a lot of it has to do with a new found love for villains in the media. You can blame The Joker and other awesome villains for that.

Other characters I hated that I'm supposed to like include Jack and Kate from Lost. Jack at times felt like his entire stance on things was a way to create conflict for the writers, no matter how much they tried to defend it. And between the two of them, they had more flashbacks and screen time than anyone else, which was total overkill. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't such a huge cast of fantastic characters. It gets to a point where after the 3rd Jack themed episode, you're wishing he'd fucking die so you can learn some more about Charlie or Sawyer. Jack was redeemed for me eventually in the last Season, whilst Kate isn't quite as hated when I rewatch the show, because I can skip the episodes and lose nothing of value.

Riley in Buffy was an awful attempt at adding an aspect of romance to the show after Angel left and it felt so horribly forced. It lead to some interesting stuff later on, his realization that she didn't love him and his interactions with Spike, along with how it affected Buffy afterwards... but a lot of it was just boring. I feel like I could just watch a "Best of Spike in Season 4" and skip the rest of that Season when rewatching and be perfectly fine with it. Oh and watch Hush and the Fear Demon episode. That's amazing. "Xander, don't taunt the fear demon..." "Why, can it hurt me?" "No, it's just... tacky." :P

I don't really hate him, but Sam can get really annoying in Supernatural. I guess you can't just have two Dean's (awesome as that would be), but the writers really love to write him as doing the stupid thing that usually always results in something bad happening. I guess that's more a problem with the actions he's been written to do than with the character himself, though.

Skyler in Breaking Bad.

And um...

That's all I can think of right now. I think I didn't like one of the non-Jukido guys in WMAC Masters, if that counts. Don't remember which one... Tsunami I think?

• Like 1

River from Firefly. Her entire shtick bores me to tears.

Cosigned.
Why?!?

I understand your confusion. You see she's so crazy but in truth is secretly super amazing at pretty much everything. Her past is a mysterious one that centres around a government conspiracy - like all the best ones do. And of course, the only thing better than a badass crazy chick is a HOT badass crazy chick. Did I mention that she was crazy?

Apologies for the sarcasm, but for me her primary trait of being crazy (and therefore doing crazy things that cause problems and therefore PLOT) is just not interesting - if anything it makes me want her put away somewhere where she will stop being a nuisance. Then, aside from those moments where she breaks out of this long enough to channel some Mary Sue, the more you learn about her the more she shapes up as a paint-by-numbers "let's make a fanboy/girl character". It grates.

I'm going to go home now and show this post to Stokerina and she will disagree vehemently with everything I just said. :shifty:

• Like 2

Harry Potter. Particularly in the 5th one. I know he's all hormonal and grieving and shit, but he's still a dick. Also M in Skyfall. Are you supposed to like her?

Not sure if you're ever supposed to "like" M... You accept the position she's in and her need to be hardline, I suppose, and of course in Her versus Bad Guy you're supposed to side with her (and Bond) by default. Beyond that I guess a lot of her sympathy is meant to be built on people liking Judi Dench moreso than M herself.

Jim from "According To Jim" - He's an insufferable human being, and every single episode is all about Jim being so annoying that you want to smack a steel chair across his face. Repeatedly.

Phoebe from "Friends" - I know she's supposed to be a little dim-whitted, but we have Joey for that. I really really really can't stand Phoebe, and I wish they had replaced her with another character. I'd even settle for Janice or Gunther as the 6th person... Just not Phoebe.

• Like 2

Peter Petrelli from Heroes was the most annoying person on the planet. Claire wasn't any better. I'll hold off the Heroes bashing with two, but I could list most characters.

I'll concur with Jack from Lost but as time went on he won me over. I enjoyed him with the more unhinged edge to him. Kate definitely played on my nerves as well. Always felt my man Sawyer deserved better. Him and

Juliet

was a much better dynamic. Oh, I'll add Season 4-5 Sun to the list, but I did like her before.

Oh yeah, Sun too. She was pretty much always a shitty character. I don't think the writers realized that you can't paint her as the victim in their relationship when you also show that Jin's life is essentially being ruined, all for the purpose of trying to stay with her. Fuck Sun, she was the worst.

A few I'd like to echo:

-Jack from Lost, until like the last season or two.

-Kate from Lost

-Lana from Smallville, maybe not the first season or two, but beyond that she just became terrible.

Those are probably the ones that really stick out to me. Though of more recent shows, Henry from Once Upon a Time definitely fits the bill. As far as annoying kid characters, he probably takes the cake.

Anyone remember that season of Smallville where Lana is a witch or some bullshit and they almost ruin Jensen Ackles? Yeah. Fuck that season. Worst shit ever.

Jesus that show should be paying royalties to Callum Blue and Justin Hartley. I could barely recommend it without that Season and some of the bright spots in earlier ones, like Green Arrow.

Pretty much the entire crew on Star Trek Voyager. If that ship came to a sudden stop, all their heads would go up Janeway's ass.