Characters you hate (that you aren't supposed to)

Benji

Are you supposed to like Nancy from Weeds? Because almost everything that happens is her fault, she's completely oblivious to this fact, and always gets away with it. Not a huge fan of Shane, either, but that might just be because i always felt bad for Silus, who got his life ruined by them all the time, until he finally got dragged down.

Marie Schrader from Breaking Bad.

Fucking despise her.

Also Scully from X-Files.

Marie is fucking delightful.

Not exactly a spoiler, but . . .

the moment it finally hit me (somewhere in season one) that her favorite (and possibly only) color is purple, I just lost it.

Generally speaking, she's great comic relief against everyone else's straight man. She has great dramatic moments too, but I just love the laughs she provides.

• Like 1

Like all the main "good" characters in Breaking Bad she is supposed to be flawed. When Hank was being a total dick to her in Season 3 I was 100% on her side. Other times she was annoying but she holds her own. But I can say that about all of them.

Speaking of which, Walt Jr/Flynn is a little dick sometimes for no reason.

• Like 1

I kind of assumed that you were supposed to despise Jenny Schecter in the L Word as she is an absolutely disgusting human being.

reading interviews though Ilene Chaiken who created the series says she based the character on herself and that she genuinely has absolutely no idea why people seem to hate her, that was never her intention.

I guess that does make her a character you're not supposed to hate.

my hatred for her doesn't make the show more enjoyable in any way, I just constantly wish she wasn't in the show at all.

I assume though that you're meant to hate Betty Draper in Mad Men though, right? If not, she can go on the list too.

Edited by jayden

Matthew Scott in SGU. The only character in the show who gets anywhere close to Chloe in terms of irritating the hell out of me.

He's just useless. He makes bad decision after bad decision, he questions his superior's decisions at entirely the wrong times while passing up other opportunities when he should do, and he has absolutely horrific taste in women. He's just sappy and pointless and impossible to root for, even though I'm sure that's what you're expected to do.

Oh, I'd like to say that while I don't totally hate her, and she is supposed to be somewhat grating, I feel like I disliked Maddie from Jonathan Creek more than intended. Jonathan Creek is like literally the most lovely person ever and Maddie consistently belittles him, baits him, frustrates him, refuses to believe his ideas. She basically twists his arm into getting involved in a case, browbeats him every step of the way, then gets mad at him when he solves it. All of Creek's aides do this, but Caroline Quentin is the best actress out of them and thus is the most irritating.

I kind of assumed that you were supposed to despise Jenny Schecter in the L Word as she is an absolutely disgusting human being.

reading interviews though Ilene Chaiken who created the series says she based the character on herself and that she genuinely has absolutely no idea why people seem to hate her, that was never her intention.

I guess that does make her a character you're not supposed to hate.

my hatred for her doesn't make the show more enjoyable in any way, I just constantly wish she wasn't in the show at all.

I assume though that you're meant to hate Betty Draper in Mad Men though, right? If not, she can go on the list too.

I dislike January Jones as an actress, but I don't outright hate Betty as a character. [insert the ubiquitous but true argument about most modern dramas being populated by flawed characters, etc.] But I will say her treatment of Sally has gotten my dander up a time or two. Feels like more an indictment of class and period than one woman, though.

Also, do you guys not have people you're friends with but don't really understand why?

I have someone exactly like that in my group of friends. None of us particularly like him as he's so difficult (ala Sheldon but without the smarts) so I totally get it.