Pens and Papers

KONGO

6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Does the Pathfinder system have much of a learning curve, if the last version of D&D you played was 3rd Edition?

I play Pathfinder like once a month or so now. I am finding it pretty easy to pick up. I went in fresh with no experience with anything though so knowing other systems could be a hindrance I guess?

I’m thinking I’ll start a Cube diary with player-created DND characters. Would anyone be interested in reading that? I understand that there would be very little input in terms of combat, however dialogue choices and story-telling would involve the player(s).

I'm about to start running a Star Trek Adventures game, and I'm really excited. It uses the 2D20 system from Mophidius. I've never run the system before, but because I'm so knowledgeable about the Star Trek universe, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to react to whatever the players through my way.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2018 at 02:23, Toe said:

I'm about to start running a Star Trek Adventures game, and I'm really excited. It uses the 2D20 system from Mophidius. I've never run the system before, but because I'm so knowledgeable about the Star Trek universe, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to react to whatever the players through my way.

Would be fun to watch that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd think some type of Skype/Discord combo would be the best way about playing online in a group. If Roll 20 is free and not too complicated to use that'd also be a good option. But voice chat seems like the best way to build flow in gameplay.

I'd also be interested in playing either as a player of DM, but I'm pretty much only familiar with 5e <_<

I'm in this really weird but probably common place creatively where I have a ton of ideas I want to workshop/talk over with other players and DMs, but I'm pretty much the only DM that I know. As a result, all of the people I could talk ideas over with are either players in my group, or players with little to no experience and so don't really know/understand the behind the screen mechanics necessary to make game worlds work. I love/hate the challenges of trying to build a game world from scratch. I want to have at least a base layer set before I have a world building session with my players, but I get really excited about what I'm working on and just want to tell them every idea I have lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm joining in with a D&D game for the first time (barring one time I played for like an hour many years ago) and tonight's our first group chat to get the prep sorted. The other players are all good friends of mine who have played together a number of times before. Looking forward to it! :D

It's also given me an opportunity to develop one the secondary characters from my not-really-written-yet novel, whom I have 'stolen' (from myself) to play as, with a view to perhaps getting to know her personality a bit better along the way.

• Like 2

On 23/01/2019 at 11:21, stokerino said:

A basic Fighter fits mine well. I know we also have a Ranger and a Cleric, don't know about the other two.

Are you playing 5e? Fighter can be so much fun in 5e, especially at the earlier levels. And with the way the class branches out, you can keep up pretty well as you level up. Fighters are definitely underrated. 

I think it's 5e? I say this from a place of knowing nothing about anything. Well, whatever. :lol:

First session was just making sure everyone was setup right and that roll20/discord/etc. was working the way they should. Next week we're sharing our characters with each other. The session after that will probably be the actual start, I think.

I'm looking to run Storm King's Thunder for my group next month, have the books and have been going over chapter 1 and 2 a lot as I don't think they will get much further than that. Anyone else run this book before, or have any advice on dealing with Giants in 5e?

Never did anything with giants in a 5e game, but you know what they say about what happens to a Giant who gets fireballed; same thing that happens to everything else.

• Like 1

I liked to use the same thing for dealing with Fire Giants that I also used for Trolls, if I was playing a spellcaster: Melf's Acid Arrow. Single target and less dmg than a fireball, but what good is a fireball against fire-resistant monsters? I'd generally use Delayed Blast Fireball, but not the regular version, since DBF can be used as a trap.