Pens and Papers

KONGO

I'd also love to play, but my schedule is going to be a pain for people to work around in all likelyhood as I work very early mornings, and on weekends.

I'll make a 'Last Call' since I've tentatively scheduled the game for next week on Wednesday. Even if you can't make that game feel free to jump into the discord and maybe if it goes well we will play games in the future.

https://discord.gg/pyQKb4

Edited by Hajjhowe
I'm not too bright.

3 hours ago, Hajjhowe said:

I'll make a 'Last Call' since I've tentatively scheduled the game for next week on Wednesday. Even if you can't make that game feel free to jump into the discord and maybe if it goes well we will play games in the future.

https://discord.gg/tp79J2

I was gonna join to say hi. But apparently the link is expired.

If anyone doesn't already, look up Dog Might Games. Their products look great, but some are kind of pricey (they have a d20 that's $54.00....for ONE die). I subscribe to their newsletter, and they occasionally do giveaways. Their most recent was for new wooden dice, but I didn't bother entering. 

• Like 1

If anyone plans on running Ghosts of Saltmarsh, start that at level 2 or 3. That shit is deadly. 

(My players are level 2 with a free feat. They haven't even cleared the lower floor before they were out of spells and almost out of hitpoints, taking a long rest and trying again.)

Yeah I recall playing as level 1's when our DM ran Princes of the Apocalypse and we almost certainly should have been TPK'd multiple times. WOTC or whoever really have weird scaling when you look at the CR they give things than what they actually put in their adventures :shifty: Like I've read over quite a few and just think this would kill most parties with even just one or two bad rolls. I usually over correct too much the other way but yeah.

In completely selfish news the DND session went quite well and I'd still be happy for anyone else to join in for whenever we run another game!

• Like 1

Our DM got me a gift for our birthday. It's a bow (+1) of memory. Anytime I hit my target, I roll a d20 to see if I can find a vulnerability, resistance or immunities.

Ever since our first game, my character has a weird fondness for teeth and I usually extract them from any animal or creature we kill. So naturally, the bow is decorated with dragon teeth.

My Ranger/Rogue has Vampires as his speciies enemy (A vampire killed his parents, and he was raised by his uncle).

He has a bow that's +1 vs. Undead, but +2 vs. Vampires. If he rolls a critical hit while using it against any undead, its as if they were hit by a Sunray spell in addition to the arrow. (The arrow is considered a critical hit; the Sunray is not.) Its basically a modification of a Sun Bow.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a session last night with @Toe & @thepunkrockicon and I think I may have literally rolled like 7 1's. It was quite impressive. I'm not exactly the luckiest roller to begin with by my god was I on streak once like every combat started. I don't think I hit a single attack while raging lol.

Still a good time was had by all! I'm glad my Gnoll Barbarian turned out as well as I imagined it in my head beforehand. Still happy to take on anyone else interested as well  :shifty:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This would make an amazing cyberpunk module

double post but

• 1 month later...

So in a couple weeks or so, I'm going to be embarking on what is definitely my most ambitious campaign to date. As a DM, it's been a lot of crazy work, but I'm thinking almost everything can be reasonably reused for a different group. I just have some long term ideas that I really hope we play long enough to have come to fruition

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

D&D has been a godsend for me in 2020.

With my day job in safari sales drying up almost overnight, I decided to take the plunge and run a paid game of D&D. Then another. And another. And another.

I'm now running ten paid campaigns of D&D (nine a week), including a West Marches campaign that runs 1-3 times a week depending on player interest.

While I'm not making the kind of money I was making selling safaris, I don't even want to know what we'd have been doing this year if I hadn't found a way to make money doing this. While we had savings, we definitely didn't have enough to keep us afloat for the better part of a year, and we managed to get stranded in Tbilisi when COVID hit, with flights back to Oz being $15,000 or so per person.

While I'm not going to lie - running ten paid games (and one free) at once is a mountain of work, my stress levels since not having to do the safari thing have definitely gone down. I've made some great friends, grown a rad little Discord community with some players participating in multiple campaigns, launched a blog about D&D, and - most importantly - been able to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads in a year where we could have been in deep shit.

• Like 2

11 campaigns?! Holy shit. I'm running 2, and I feel that's a lot. 

Speaking of campaigns, my main party is running Waterdeep Dragon Heist, and they are partway through chapter 4! The rogue got the paladin killed by trying to steal from a high powered wizard. It was great. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it takes up a lot of my time, but I've got plenty of it with us now in lockdown again).

Running:

• Three Tomb of Annihilation (two weekly and one fortnightly)
  • Two Curse of Strahd
  • Two Rime of the Frostmaiden
  • One Night Below/homebrew
  • One homebrew/Keep on the Borderlands
  • One West Marches
  • One Rappan Athuk

I've been getting plenty of practice prepping stuff on the fly and a lot of encounters can easily be repurposed and reflavored for different campaigns, but I'd say I spend 2 hours a week prepping for each game, four hours running them, and another 30-45 minutes per game doing a session summary.

It definitely isn't as lucrative as my old gig, but I'm running enough games that it at least feels like the time spent is worth the payoff.

------

How are you liking Dragon Heist? It's the only 5e adventure I've not read yet.