Pens and Papers

KONGO

27 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

I'm actually running that right now! That's what caused the TPK on Sunday!

(In case y'all couldn't tell. I'm bored and going through some old posts in here)

What encountered did it? 

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

What encountered did it? 

They hit drow pursuit level 5 after exploring a ruin. They stood and fight, because they got a necklace of fireballs from the tomb that also had the shiny sword. They are about to reach Gracklstugh, which I think is my least favorite part that I've read so far.

• Like 1

So I've been thinking recently about using Fiverr or sites like it to make a little money designing monsters, characters, and encounters for people looking to get into the hobby. As a result of that, I've just spent 2 hours working on an official looking PDF for a homebrew Chocobo from Final Fantasy. I'm basically computer illiterate, so trying to learn how to use  some of the software for this was hard, but overall I'm having a ton of fun with it. I might start making more fully drawn out lore sheets just for fun

• Like 1

Y'all ever have a player contract lycantropy? If so, what have you done to make it cool and exciting?

One of my players just caught it. Curious what to do stats wise, as with a lot of things in 5e, it seems to be up to the DM's discretion. 

13 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

Y'all ever have a player contract lycantropy? If so, what have you done to make it cool and exciting?

One of my players just caught it. Curious what to do stats wise, as with a lot of things in 5e, it seems to be up to the DM's discretion. 

We've had two people get it in our Westmarches game, mostly due to our lead DM putting them in that situation. 

There's some good stuff here that can help add some stats to what creature they become.

https://halflinghobbies.com/the-complete-guide-to-lycanthropy-in-dd-5e/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Good choice! Easy ruleset and great setting.

Spoiler

The threshold has now been reached, and your vessel has decelerated, which has automatically triggered the waking process. The LongSleep chambers hiss open, and slowly, your senses begin to return. Your mission was simple, retrieve navigational data from Ranori 275, which you knew was 81 days away and return home. Your crew are your family and they have seen you at your worst and at your best. But nothing could have prepared you for the communications you received from Theodore Reilly, the Supreme Commander . As you wake, the familiar tones of the Matsuda Mk. V brings you out of your slumber. The life support and artificial gravity are still operating. It’s cold; not enough to chill you to the bone, but enough to see a faint mist form with every breath. The airlock door opens, and the corridor ahead is wide, pentagon-shaped, and lined with piping, lit sparsely so the shadows are deep and pronounced. What would you like to do?

MESSAGE RECEIVED [22 JUNE 2323]:
Supreme Commander T. Reilly.

YOU HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED.
THE MISSION HAS FAILED, DO NOT RETURN HOME.
ONE OF YOUR CREW HAS NOT BEEN AUTHORISED.
DO NOT ENGAGE WITH CREW.
DO NOT RETURN HOME.

:D The opening to my campaign so far!

• Like 3

Clerics ARE a bit powerful but yeah that's really fuckin odd. What else is the team made of?

Even the Bard should be useful as a support/buffer in low levels, the rogue can do nasty damage with Sneak Attack. Sorcerors can be a bit meh in low level except in 5e where they get infinite cantrips.

Sounds more like bad luck from how Jericode describes it.

Clerics are amazingly versatile, and I think it's entirely reasonable for one to be be built to wade into the fray and start beating face either magically or physically (or both). Unless Niner's playing a Life Domain cleric and has designated himself the "healer" (which isn't really a thing in D&D, but eh), but even then, Life Domain clerics get heavy armour proficiency, so you could absolutely build a healer with an absurd AC as well.

While pretty much any class is busted in 5e since it doesn't take much for anything to be effective, Clerics are especially busted. They can be super effective tanks, damage dealers, battlefield controllers, they can even be a great healer even though in combat healing is kinda shit in 5e. Clerics are maybe the best class if you're not sure what you want your character to do, but like the idea of being able to do a little bit of everything pretty well. So it doesn't surprise me that a party consisting of at least 3 of the squishier classes hide behind their cleric.

19 hours ago, DoubleX said:

Clerics are amazingly versatile, and I think it's entirely reasonable for one to be be built to wade into the fray and start beating face either magically or physically (or both). Unless Niner's playing a Life Domain cleric and has designated himself the "healer" (which isn't really a thing in D&D, but eh), but even then, Life Domain clerics get heavy armour proficiency, so you could absolutely build a healer with an absurd AC as well.

For some more backstory, it's the first session, he only picked cleric because we originally had two human fighters so he changed class, and the everyone bar him rolled shit.

4 hours ago, Bad News Jericode said:

For some more backstory, it's the first session, he only picked cleric because we originally had two human fighters so he changed class, and the everyone bar him rolled shit.

Welp. Guess RNG decided that's how that particular combat was going to go then!

The point stands though that a cleric can absolutely be a tank (even in medium armour). All you need is (Shield of) Faith.

• Like 1