Pens and Papers

KONGO

Okay, seems like maybe we might get some traction with a play by post. I'm happy to start setting something up. 

Would people be interested in a new game or is there a pre written campaign folks would be interested in trying?

• 4 weeks later...

I've not run a session of it yet, but the new D&D campaign book, Wild Beyond The Witchlight is AMAZING. My favorite campaign book for 5e I've read so far. The new way they are doing spellcaster NPCs is a godsend, the flavor is fantastic, and the whole of chapter 1 is just a blast. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 22:57, Ruki Returns said:

I've not run a session of it yet, but the new D&D campaign book, Wild Beyond The Witchlight is AMAZING. My favorite campaign book for 5e I've read so far. The new way they are doing spellcaster NPCs is a godsend, the flavor is fantastic, and the whole of chapter 1 is just a blast. 

It really is great. I like the way they've encouraged non-combat encounters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

It really is great. I like the way they've encouraged non-combat encounters.

I'm gonna be running my first session of it next Friday. My players tend to like combat a bit more, so I threw in a few combats (like a 'battle royale' at the carnival). 

• Like 2

If anyone has a few quid going I recommend getting the pdf of The Quiet Year. A really cool game where you draw a map of a town and surrounding areas by following a kind of story from drawing cards and reading out events over the course of a "year".

It's hard to explain properly. We played it twice on our Twitch channel and both games turned out pretty differently.

• Like 1

So last session my players thought it would be a good idea to (unknowingly) break into Manshoon's (a level 18 wizard) secret tower. They get in, kill a bunch of mooks, and then find an entrance to his demiplane. They get jumped by a bunch of goons (plus Manshoon's simulacrum) and they think it's a good idea to unleash the 'fire elemental' they have in an iron flask. That fire elemental turned out to be Maegera the Dawn Titian, a 50ft tall elemental... CR23. Just being NEAR the thing causes 10d6 damage each turn. So they let it loose and peace out.

On one hand, yay! They have trapped a super powerful elemental that would have caused just an insane amount of destruction (it actually caused the destruction of Neverwinter according to the lore) in a demiplane with no way of getting out. On the other hand, they just pissed off a level 18 wizard (with a staff of power and robe of the archmage) by dropping a titan in his demiplane. Revenge is gonna be fun. 

• Haha 2

.... and in my OOTA game, I had a Mostly Party Kill. 3/4 dead because they decided to stand and bang with a demon lord. At level 9. The only one to survive is the only one who survived the previous TPK. She was already the main character!

Apparently the huge HP pool, regeneration, and legendary actions didn't tip them off to run.

12 hours ago, thepunkrockicon said:

I've been thinking recently about beginning a West Marches style campaign, but I've never played in or ran one before. Has anyone run/played in that style of game? A more player driven style of gameplay interests me as a DM

I am participating in one on a forum where we have about 60+ players. I play as a DM and a player. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I've played a handful of DND games via text on discord actually. They were interesting. In some ways a lot easier to manage with copy and pasting stuff although there seems to be more to whatever this is. Either way I'm interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my wife frustrated with my last D&D session session because they had to deal with the consequences of doing bad things and getting caught. They broke into the house of a noble (who had a temple of Asmodeus in their basement) and fucked shit up and stole things. As they were leaving, guards had arrived (they took a long time discussing a plan). While they were right, unfortunately, nobility has connections and money to make problems go away. 

Good news though: we are back on the path of the actual adventure! Just a quick, 4 session detour.