Pens and Papers

KONGO

My girlfriend has been running her first 5e game for me and a couple friends. She's just running the Starter Set, which has been a ton of fun. I've been running a Swashbuckler Rogue, and we've got a Grave Cleric, a College of Glamour Bard, and a Totem Warrior Barbarian running around. It's really nice to play again, but I'm slowly coming to the realization that I might prefer DMing, as I can't wait for this campaign to be over so I can run the homebrew I'm working on haha.

On 30/01/2019 at 03:46, stokerino said:

I think it's 5e? I say this from a place of knowing nothing about anything. Well, whatever. :lol:

First session was just making sure everyone was setup right and that roll20/discord/etc. was working the way they should. Next week we're sharing our characters with each other. The session after that will probably be the actual start, I think.

Though I haven't had the chance to play a Fighter yet, they look fun, and they have one of the best abilities in 5e in Action Surge, so there's that. Also all of the archetypes look good, particularly some of the shenanigans Battlemasters can get up to with their maneuvers.

• 2 months later...

Currently writing a 5 player campaign for the newly released Ravnica (Magic The Gathering related) setting. It’s going to be a hell of a lot of fun. I would love to somehow record the sessions. I’m finding that I’ve sort of become the only person in the group/friendship that runs a game. Sometimes we Game Masters want to play too okay! :(

20 hours ago, Paton said:

Currently writing a 5 player campaign for the newly released Ravnica (Magic The Gathering related) setting. It’s going to be a hell of a lot of fun. I would love to somehow record the sessions. I’m finding that I’ve sort of become the only person in the group/friendship that runs a game. Sometimes we Game Masters want to play too okay! :(

I definitely feel that. The only way I get to play D&D is if I run the game. I've only been able to play 5E once as a player.

15 hours ago, Toe said:

I definitely feel that. The only way I get to play D&D is if I run the game. I've only been able to play 5E once as a player.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I love playing God, but it's fun and a whole different dynamic when you're actually playing as a character.

The only pen and paper I've played that I refuse to run the game as a GM for is Shadowrun, though I never GM'd a Legend of the 5 Rings game. (And I mean the old L5R, before it became a D&D add-on) I have far too much fun playing Shadowrun (though I've not played in a few years) to agree to run a game. 

• 4 weeks later...

One of my friends has been talking about wanting to play DnD for the first time, and like an idiot I've started writing a campaign. Somebody tell me I'm being dumb and to stop, please and thanks.

• Like 1

Had my D&D stuff "borrowed" by a now former friend several months ago and still not has it returned as they "can't find it" so not been able to do too much but picked up the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay book and looking to start running a game. Looks a bit fiddly to set up and get started and think I'll struggle with encounter building due to a lack of familiarity with the mechanics at the moment. Only got one completed character submission so far, a Halfling Grave Robber... It's going to be an interesting campaign I think...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Troy said:

One of my friends has been talking about wanting to play DnD for the first time, and like an idiot I've started writing a campaign. Somebody tell me I'm being dumb and to stop, please and thanks.

No way - keep going! 

On 24/05/2019 at 11:19, Troy said:

Good luck! Have fun!

• 2 months later...

So finished my first D&D quest as a player post brain surgery and ran through the Sunless Citadel, lots of carnage with a near TPK with us being level two due to a combat averse party, no healing following an exploding book using up our healing potions and near double the enemies to our party members. By the end we were three down with a wounded warlock, wizard and my thankfully unscaved ranger and two failed death saves each on the other three down. Clutch play from the warlock using his racial charm ability to get an enemy to attack a target rather than him and a sleep spell which took out their two magic users including the BBEG of the job and some effective crowd control hail of thorns taking out some entangled minions from me before we realised that in one roll we could probably lose a member permanently, luckily they were low down the initiative order so

(spoiler tags in case anyone ends up playing the adventure)

Spoiler

I decided to launch a flaming arrow at the tree which it seemed to be hinted was mind controlling some of the opposition and the warlock noticed they seemed to wince when it hit the tree so his charmed stooge attacked with his sword and the wizard used some magic missiles while stabilising the unconscious rogue which destroyed the tree and broke the spell. With combat over I was able to loot the sleeping evil wizard (while delivering a killing blow naturally, lizardmans got to eat after all) find some healing potions which was able to bring back then near dead party members and a magic apple saved the girl we were trying to rescue for her family from dissolving "Snap" style.

So our goblin monk learned what the insides of a giant frog look like, I learned reading was bad for peoples health, our kobold rogue learned that crawling through vents and fighting gangs of possesed minions alone is bad strategy and our half-elf warlock and gnome wizard are wondering what the hell they got themselves into. Still mission complete and some happy villagers, although it has just dawned on me that we forgot to mention the young white dragon/wyrmling that we unleashed to them as we left. Although I was more distracted by being reunited with my pet velociraptor "Slashy" to bother with small talk and we're sure that won't bite us later on in our travels.

9/10 would read books covered in strange runes again.

• Like 1

I've been getting the itch for a D&D/PAthfinder game pretty hard. Especially since PF2e has come out. I wanted to try running a game on Roll20, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around the system. For running a game, I much prefer in person.

On 23/08/2019 at 12:07, Ruki said:

I've been getting the itch for a D&D/PAthfinder game pretty hard. Especially since PF2e has come out. I wanted to try running a game on Roll20, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around the system. For running a game, I much prefer in person.

I've played a little on Roll20, but I've never got used to the system. 

Pathfinder 2E looks fun, I'd love to try it.

• 5 weeks later...

Just gonna leave this here

ivk64wfni5p31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 1