THE ASHES

METALMAN

You can chuck Damien Martyn in to the retiring in the 06/07 series as well, although that was halfway through the series. Martyn was always considered the weak link in teams with Ponting, Waughs, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Hussey etc. but he'd walk into the current Aussie line-up.

Seriously Plubby? You forgot to mention Justin Langer retired then too. Are you even from WA? :P

But yeah, as much as I liked him, Hayden and all the others, Warne and McGrath were the most crucial losses to the team in the last 10-15 years.

I just took what was quoted, obviously.

Johnson gone early in the second morning, 7/326 with Smith on 103*.

Re: Damien Martyn - he was a good player through the late 90s and early 2000s who didn't really deserve the criticism he got, but by the time of his retirement he probably should've been dropped already because there were so many better players waiting in the wings such as Dave Hussey, Brad Hodge, Martin Love, etc.

I know there were some local Aussie cricket commentators that said, ignore the 3-0 series loss and pay attention to how much better Australia were getting, as the last series in England ended but from that, I still only expected a closer series this time around with England still likely edging it.

How in the blue hell, did this happen?

• Like 1

Nope, we've just bottled it. I don't think losing all 3 tosses helped but that's no excuse for being as poor as we were. Panesar shouldn't be anywhere near the test side and Finn should have played on those pitches. But usually we can rely on Cook, Trott, Bell and Root to have a couple of good innings between them in each match with the likes of KP, Prior, Broad and Swann popping up with good scores on top of that occasionally. This series none of those first 4 have turned up consistently enough.

To be fair on that, Trott didn't get much of a chance, but I agree that Cook and Bell especially have disappointed. When Carberry (who has played three games and not yet got a century) is effectively top scorer of one of the better Test sides we've seen in the last few years, I think you have to put it down to bad form (and possibly niggling injuries?) from key players as much as anything else. Obviously that alone shouldn't cause such a decisive defeat, but I can't see too many problems with the team itself and they should hit back soon.

As far as it goes for Australia, I'm not really sure all that much has changed aside from the players' confidence. We've had a very decent if not world-beating attack for most times in the past Ashes series' combined with batsmen who occasionally fire along with a couple of steady hand's (e.g. Clarke). The batsmen have got much better, but I'm not sure that we're back to being a dominant team yet because aside from Clarke there's no-one who can consistently score runs although a few have started to show good signs. Still, watch this space.

Personal rant now; skip it if you see fit.

Don't know if you guys overseas have been getting the same commentary as we get in Australia, but they're STILL maintaining that KP is the most important wicket to get in the English side which is ridiculous when you have guys like Bell, Cook, Trott and hell, even Root and Carberry who genuinely look dangerous and don't throw their wicket away if the runs dry up. I know Warne's best mates with him, but I expected much better from people like Mark Taylor, Michael Vaughan, Ian Healy, Ian Chappell and Michael Slater.