Guys! Help me help Snowball!

probablyoliver

So my wonderful lady has asked me to pose a couple questions to you guys. Instead of getting all into the whys and wherefors I figure I'd just quote the facebook message she sent me earlier and if anyone wants to go ahead and answer one or all of the questions that'd be ruddy fantastic.

Could you do me the massivest favour and possibly pose a question to the Forum? Somethings like...

'Do you watch video game youtube videos?'

'If so, what do you watch and why?'

'Have you ever made your own?'

'Would it sway your decision to buy are particular game?'

That would be great!

On occasion, I do.

I watch gameplay to see if the game interests me, OR I watch Rooster Teeth Let's Plays. Those guys are the best. I also watched a Persona 4 Let's Play when my game save corrupted and I wanted to see the rest of the story.

I've contemplated it, but I am not funny/interesting enough. But I did just stream the first and second (maybe even the third) level of Knack.

Yup! I started playing League of Legends because of the Rooster Teeth guys.

Not regularly

I usually watch the first couple of videos in a walkthrough series to see if I want to get the game. Examples include the new AC game and Saints Row 4.

Nope.

Maybe. I don't buy many games so it would have to be really really well done to sway me.

Yes!

I watch Totalbiscuit, Yogscast Lewis & Simon, Game Grumps, Yogscast Sips, Yogscast Sjin, Jesse Cox, The Completionist, Angry Joe, JonTron, Dodger.

I watch TB for coverage and content, mostly news, first looks at games and so on, mostly because I value his opinion and it's better than a majority of reviews out there. Angry Joe is similar, though it's a more traditional review. Any Yogscast content is based entirely around the comedy and how much I like the personality, same with Game Grumps, because it's hilarious. They've got some great insight into the games they play as well. Jesse, Dodger, JonTron all for the humor. And Completionist for a variety of all things listed. That guy needs more subs.

Yeah, I've made a few tests and mock ups, had a few ideas that never really got off the ground. I'm sure I'd have stuff done by now, but I feel like I want to do something a bit more refined and interesting than the typical Let's Play. And finding an idea and executing it is a lot more complicated. I'm also pretty sure my opinions on a majority of video games aren't interesting enough to really warrant a YouTube channel, either. Though I do have a bunch of crappy videos of me playing games with EWBers.

Well, certain videos definitely do. TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe and The Completionist all do great jobs of giving an honest opinion of the games they're reviewing or giving a first look at. Stuff like Game Grumps and The Yogscast are pretty great at introducing games, though I don't often pick up games because they play them. I think that's more to do with the type of games they play than anything else, though. Overall, review based content or first looks like "WTF is..." from TotalBiscuit and Giant Bomb "First Looks" is more likely to interest me in picking up a game than a straight up play through. I'd say especially a regular Let's Play. A good example is Jesse Cox does a lot of straight Let's Plays of big titles and more often than not, I don't watch those videos... because it'll spoil the game for me and I'd rather play it myself.

Rarely.

Retro game reviews for nostaligia reasons.

No.

Probably not.

On occasion.

Mainly Pewdiepie, because he makes me laugh. Discovered him through his Last of Us playthrough.

Nope.

Yeah.

A lot. Like... a lot.

I watch a lot of channels right now that are gaming related.

• Game Grumps / Steam Train: Mostly do full playthroughs (or attempts at full playthroughs) of older games, but every once in a while there's a special or a new game thrown in with a twist. They've actually been doing a lot of specials recently.
  • Two Best Friends Play: My favorite right now. They do "seasons" of weekly (normally) new game first impressions on Machinima but also have a podcast, daily uploads of playthroughs, themed months with daily videos, etc. And they'll do special features or reviews for games that pique their interest as well. Lots of content.
  • Continue Show: The show that got me into subscribing to different things on the web - these guys play retro games every Wednesday and it's basically a first impressions show where they say whether they'd like to continue or game over.
  • Seananners/ChilldChaos/Diction: It all started with Seananners, but there's a large group of guys that do multiple daily uploads of stuff - mostly computer games and almost always at least once a day uploads of different game modes from Garry's Mod.
  • Retsuprae/ChipCheezumsRP: Still game related but hardly in the way that you are probably looking for. They make fun of bad LPs but also have their own LP channels that I catch content on sometimes.
  • And there's a handful of others - but they mostly do sketched out videos with a video game flavoring in it. JonTron, Caddicarus, etc.

I have not.

It certainly has in the past for me, actually - I ended up picking up the Wonderful 101 based off how much Matt & Pat from Two Best Friends Play talked about it and the same is true about a few other games that they have played or hyped up. Once you watch people long enough and learn their tastes, it's pretty easy to tell when they're in line with your own. Even though I already owned it, I never realized how fun Garry's Mod was until I started to watch Seananners and his whole crew.

Yes

TotalBiscuit - Strong opinions and generally covers most new releases on PC
JesseCox - Fun personality and plays a few games I tend to enjoy
JWittz - Fan of Pokemon, does rather good features. Don't watch his Let's Plays though

One very old video of me messing around with .wav files in Team Fortress 2

Only if it is something I hadn't known about, or hadn't planned on getting. If it's a game I want, I'm not going to watch the videos because I'd rather experience it for myself than have other people's opinions clouding my judgement.

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I don't know.

Oh! That's a very real point as well. If it's a game that I'm really clambering to play - I'll wait to do so before I say, watch the Two Best Friends play through it. However if it's just something I find interesting, then yeah - I'll go right ahead and watch a video or two. If I watch a preview for something and I think that I'll enjoy it, I usually cut off all other information as well because fuck knowing everything about a game before it comes out. People who do that are ridiculous.

So my wonderful lady has asked me to pose a couple questions to you guys. Instead of getting all into the whys and wherefors I figure I'd just quote the facebook message she sent me earlier and if anyone wants to go ahead and answer one or all of the questions that'd be ruddy fantastic.

Could you do me the massivest favour and possibly pose a question to the Forum? Somethings like...

That would be great!

You need to make her come on here and answer. We'll be nice.

Answer - very rarely, I watched some of Kikoskia's Final Doom LP and that's about it. Never really been interested in making my own and while it might influence my decision to buy a game, I'd need to be in the game-buying market to care at all.

Yes

E-Sports, mostly Starcraft 2. And reviews/lets plays to check out a game i am interested in buying.

Yes, but that is way back during the PS2 days.

Yes. It´s nice to not have the SNES era were you bought games based on the boxart and the official Nintendo Magazin. ;)

- 'Do you watch video game youtube videos?'

Yes!

- 'If so, what do you watch and why?'

Game Grumps, KSI and Retsuprae. I honestly don't care for any actual in-depth gameplay review, I just want some cheap and easy entertainment and both of those, especially Game Grumps, is good for that - you could say I am interested in the comedy and entertainment first and the game second.

- 'Have you ever made your own?'

Nope, and I never will.

- 'Would it sway your decision to buy any particular game?'

It might but it happens extremely rarely.