EWB Game of the Year 2013

Plubby

Hi all,

The end of another year approaches and it is time for us to reflect upon gaming's highs and lows. It's time to vote for the 2013 Game of the Year! Rules are as follows:

1: We are nominating a maximum of ten entries per member. The title in position 1 receives 10 points, less 1 point for each game down until 1 point for position 10. You may vote for fewer than 10 games.

2: I am using the following point weighting system: The total number of points received by a title, multiplied by the average number of points per occasion it was voted for. Ties will be broken by number of 1st place votes first and by total nominations second. I feel this system is best suited to making fine gradations of close vote-getters. Happy to discuss this in private message if required.

Quick example:

Title A receives two first place votes and a seventh place vote. It receives 192 points under my system (24 total points multiplied by an average points per nomination of 8)

3: All games released since the creation of the last voting thread (28 December 2012) are eligible. I'll be using the first release date listed in Wikipedia for this purpose. Expansion packs/DLC should be considered as a standalone title (Brave New World for example should be considered on its own merits) and will make a game eligible if it changes the core game that was released (XCOM: Enemy Within could be voted for, whereas The Tyranny of King Washington would not enable Assassin's Creed III to be eligible. Happy to discuss this via PM too if you think it needs to be changed.)

4: Animated discussion and debate in this thread is allowed and encouraged. Please try and keep any debate in at the least a seperate paragaph to your list so I can notice them, and if you're the type who likes to explain their choices, by all means do so - but try and use some formatting wherever you can so I can again distinguish choices much more easily.

5: Nominations will close in a couple of weeks, likely either on the 16th or 23rd of December depending on my schedule. Votes may be edited up until that date, no need to post to let me know. I'll not be recording votes until then so feel free to edit away until I announce close of nominations.

Other than that, go nuts!

• Like 3

1 - The Last of Us

2 - GTA Online

3 - GTA V

4 - Tomb Raider

5 - FIFA 14

That's the only newer releases I've played this year I think, and that's how I'd order them.

The Walking Dead (Telltale) would be in my top 2 if it had been released in 2013. I only got around to playing it earlier this year, I think. Pretty sure Watch Dogs would be up there too, if released on time. Same goes for the South Park game.

The only things I've even played new this year are GTA V and Saints Row IV. Well, things that I would deem worthy of voting for, otherwise I'd have a list full of default titles like FIFA 14, Temple Run 2, Plants vs Zombies 2 and various F2P XBLA games.

Having said that, there was also Don't Starve which if I were to lump that in with the latter titles would be a little harsh, I just don't feel I got enough out of it to put it on my list. So, yeah, it'd be GTA V and Saints Row IV in that order, if you're willing to accept just two votes. :shifty: How pedantic are you being over GTA V and GTA Online?

The only things I've even played new this year are GTA V and Saints Row IV. Well, things that I would deem worthy of voting for, otherwise I'd have a list full of default titles like FIFA 14, Temple Run 2, Plants vs Zombies 2 and various F2P XBLA games.

Having said that, there was also Don't Starve which if I were to lump that in with the latter titles would be a little harsh, I just don't feel I got enough out of it to put it on my list. So, yeah, it'd be GTA V and Saints Row IV in that order, if you're willing to accept just two votes. :shifty: How pedantic are you being over GTA V and GTA Online?

No votes for GTA will be accepted. (kidding)

Not played either, but if you think they're different enough to be considered seperate titles, by all means vote for them seperately. You can vote for them together if that's how you think of them. But not both of those options. (So you can't vote for the single player, GTA Online, and GTA V collectively as three of your choices.)

I will be tallying votes for "GTA V" as one title and "GTA Online" as a second title - so if you vote for both it will not fuel the GTA collective. But it may get both high up, who knows?

I might add some later, but the only game I played in 2013 that actually changed the way I think about video games was Papers, Please, so that's definitely number one. Bioshock Infinite is probably number two but I might change my mind about that. <_<

• Like 1

1. Last of Us [PS3] (10pts)
2. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [PS3] (9pts)
3. Tomb Raider [PS3/360/PC] (8pts)
4. Grand Theft Auto V [PS3/360] (7pts)
5. Pokémon X&Y [3DS] (6pts)
6. Assassin's Creed 4 [PS3/360/PC/WiiU/XB1/PS4] (5pts)
7. Civ 5: Brave New World [PC] (4pts)
8. Grand Theft Auto Online [PS3/360] (3pts)
9. Football Manager 2014 [PC] (2pts)
10. Papers, Please [PC] (1pt)

Only voting what I have played

1: Grand Theft Auto 5

2: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

3: Football Manager 2014

4: Rocksmith 2014

5: The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1

6: Payday 2

7: Tomb Raider

8: Splinter Cell: Blacklist

9: Dead Space 3

10: Batman: Arkham Origins

Edited by Jasonmufc

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

2. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

3. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine (PC)

4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)

5. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

6. Civilization V: Brave New World (PC)

7. Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods (PC)

8. Rogue Legacy (PC)

9. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)

10. Papers, Please (PC)

Yeah hey guys guess which system i played a lot this year.

1. Paper's Please (PC)

2. Tomb Raider (PS3)

3. Don't Starve (PC)

4. Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (PS3)

5. Pokémon X/Y (3DS)

6. Retro City Rampage (PS3)

7. Pikmin 3 (WiiU)

8. Bioshock: Infinite (PS3)

9. Assassin's Creed 4 (PS3)

10. Bravely Default (3DS)

1. GTA V
2. GTA Online
3. Fifa 14

I normally have more variety, but haven't got Batman, Assassins Creed and whatever else yet. I feel like I've bought something else this year, but it can't be that good if I can't remember it!

Oh yeah I bought Far Cry 3, Max Payne 3 and RDR this year, but they aren't 2013

Edited by Fudge

1. The Last of Us

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening

4. Ni No Kuni

5. Grand Theft Auto V

6. Pokemon X/Y

7. Tearaway

8. Guacamelee

9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

10. Hotline Miami*

* if we're counting Hotline Miami as a 2012 title, put Bioshock Infinite in it's place.

1. Paper's Please (PC)

2. Tomb Raider (PS3)

3. Don't Starve (PC)

4. Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (PS3)

5. Pokémon X/Y (3DS)

6. Retro City Rampage (PS3)

7. Pikmin 3 (WiiU)

8. Bioshock: Infinite (PS3)

9. Assassin's Creed 4 (PS3)

10. Bravely Default (3DS)

This isn't even out yet. :P

1. Tomb Raider

2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

3. Injustice: Gods Among Us

4. Lego Marvel Superheros

5. Civilization 5: Brave New World

6. Hearthstone

7. XCOM: Enemy Within

8. Pokemon X/Y

9. Bravely Default

10. The Wolf Among Us

I haven't had the chance to play Wolf Among Us yet, though, so that'll probably kick something out. Maybe Last of Us, because in retrospect that was a kind of meh game. This was kind of a boring year for games...

Man, that choice between Ni no Kuni and Tomb Raider, though... Absolutely adored both, but I had to give the edge to Tomb Raider because fuck, it was just done so well. I fully expect I'll change it back and forth at some point. >_>

EDIT: Replaced Last of Us with Wolf Among Us. Man, this game is great.

I haven't had the chance to play Wolf Among Us yet, though, so that'll probably kick something out. Maybe Last of Us, because in retrospect that was a kind of meh game. This was kind of a boring year for games...

I genuinely believe that there's something wrong inside your brain.

• Like 2

I genuinely believe that there's something wrong inside your brain.

I remember tons of things that I loved about Tomb Raider and Ni no Kuni, for example. Whole scenes, moments of gameplay and so on.

I can't remember a single thing about the Last of Us outside of being pretty "eh, that was okay", despite beating the game. I should note that I've been pretty critical of Naughty Dog post-Uncharted 2. It was nice to see a new IP, I just didn't think they did as much as they could have with it. By the end I was pretty much forcing myself to keep playing.

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
2. Rouge Legacy (PC)
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
4. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
5. Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods (PC)
6. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
8. Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
9. Shin Mega Tensi IV (3DS)
10. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (PS3/PC)