MLB 2014 Thread

The Buscher

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/100210710/cubs-fire-manager-rick-renteria?adbid=10152745273380659&adbpl=fb&adbpr=30530605658&partnerId=as_chc_20141031_34803437

Rick deserved to come back for another season as Cubs manager, and we said as much when we announced that he would be returning in 2015. We met with Rick two weeks ago for a long end-of-season evaluation and discussed plans for next season. We praised Rick to the media and to our season ticket holders. These actions were made in good faith.

Last Thursday, we learned that Joe Maddon - who may be as well suited as anyone in the industry to manage the challenges that lie ahead of us - had become a free agent. We confirmed the news with Major League Baseball, and it became public knowledge the next day. We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization. In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.

Apparently they offered him other positions within the organization, but no word on if he's going to take one or find a managerial job elsewhere.

Yeah, hard not to feel bad for Renteria but it was a move the Cubs had to make. I'm sure plenty of other teams would have dumped their skipper to get Maddon, but the Cubs came calling first. Renteria will get another chance at managing a big league club. The Twins have refuted reports saying they're interested, but they and the Rays are the only ones with vacancies right now.

Frankly if I were the Padres I'd just dump Bud Black and bring Renteria back to the organization. Not sure how Black has survived, the Padres haven't improved one iota in the last 4 years.