The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

DONE DEAL: Southampton have signed left-back Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea on a season-long loan. (Source: @SouthamptonFC)

We should send Southampton a fruit basket or something with the amount of times they've been helping us out this summer.

You already sold Suarez.

• Like 2

So glad Bertrand is off the market haha! Come on Moreno!

Disappointed Liverpool didn't get go in for, or missed out on (?), Lukaku - seems to fit the profile of the clubs new system perfectly.

I wish Liverpool would go in for Schneiderlin or someone like William Carvalho, we have Can now but we still need more steel in defence. At the moment we have Lucas, who is made of glass and is shite, and Gerrard, who is like a season from retirement at this point and not a real DM. Can is a big step forward over the likes of Lucas, but we really need to just sell Lucas to Inter or Napoli or whoever, and get someone like *insert Southampton player*

Also don't understand loaning out Origi unless that was absolutely required to get the DONE DEAL.

Mourinho quotes from the Telegraph:

"Romelu was always very clear with us with his mentality and his approach was not highly motivated to come to a competitive situation with Chelsea. He wanted to play for Chelsea but he clearly wanted to be first-choice striker, but for a club of our dimension it is very difficult to promise to a player."

"That reduced, immediately, his desire to come to us. After that Everton came with an important offer and as I always say, because it's the reality of our club and we want to be inside the Financial Fair Play rules, it's always in the thoughts of the board. The important thing is that he's happy and things work well for him, he's a good kid and has his way of thinking and organising his career."

Disappointed Liverpool didn't get go in for, or missed out on (?), Lukaku - seems to fit the profile of the clubs new system perfectly.

I wish Liverpool would go in for Schneiderlin or someone like William Carvalho, we have Can now but we still need more steel in defence. At the moment we have Lucas, who is made of glass and is shite, and Gerrard, who is like a season from retirement at this point and not a real DM. Can is a big step forward over the likes of Lucas, but we really need to just sell Lucas to Inter or Napoli or whoever, and get someone like *insert Southampton player*

Also don't understand loaning out Origi unless that was absolutely required to get the DONE DEAL.

1). Lucas isn't "shite," he's crooked. I mean, I doubt he's gonna get back up to the level he was at, but dude has had REALLY unfortunate injuries that have pretty much fucked him.

2). The loan back WAS absolutely required to get the DONE DEAL. That's why our offer was accepted over the abundance of others they received for the lad. We're not buying him for now, we're essentially doing a Chelsea and picking him up while he's available with an eye on the future.

1). Lucas isn't "shite," he's crooked. I mean, I doubt he's gonna get back up to the level he was at, but dude has had REALLY unfortunate injuries that have pretty much fucked him.

Getting rekt by injuries is pretty much the same thing though yes? If he spends more time incapacitated then playing then what's the point? He should be sold ASAP (as long as we can get a replacement). And when he came back from injury at the end of last season he *was* shite, slow and just cynically fouling all the time (probably not fit even still?). I know he used to be better, but so what? So did Agger... Now Lucas is basically a waste of a squad place really (though I suppose Can has replaced him which is good), Lucas is around mainly because we are so thin in midfield we need every warm body we have. Speaking of Agger though, he's now in a pretty similar position to Lucas, though he was always a much, much better player. Both are so often injured that they never get to peak performance, consistency or fitness before injury (it's especially sad in Agger's case), but it also disrupts the team. That said, I'd still rather Agger stayed and Skrtel was sold.

Edited by kaya

The Express seem to think that Napoli have offered Dries Mertens in exchange for Fellaini.

No doubt that it's absolute bollocks, but if it was true, I wouldn't mind too much. However, bringing in Mertens for one of our 3 DM's before attempting to get rid of any of the 12 wingers (admittedly, not one of them are consistently amazing) we have doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I dunno if it's football going crazy or me not following it to the extent I did previously, but ten years ago I'd know all about any player that went for over £20 million. Now I've barely heard of any of them. I've never heard of Mangala and I had no idea who Hamezz Rodriguez was before the World Cup.

Lucas may have lost some of his quality from his injuries, but I'd still play him over Joe Allen. It was Lucas who set up Sterling's equalizer last night, so he must still have something left!

And after watching the pre-season so far, we REALLY need a new left back, because Enrique is nowhere near the player he was before his injury. I know it was a bad injury and it takes time to get back to fitness, but I worry about him.

Oh, and I love Martin Kelly, but BR really needs to give him a fair shake at centre back. He can't be any worse than Kolol Toure.

Lucas may have lost some of his quality from his injuries, but I'd still play him over Joe Allen. It was Lucas who set up Sterling's equalizer last night, so he must still have something left!

And after watching the pre-season so far, we REALLY need a new left back, because Enrique is nowhere near the player he was before his injury. I know it was a bad injury and it takes time to get back to fitness, but I worry about him.

Oh, and I love Martin Kelly, but BR really needs to give him a fair shake at centre back. He can't be any worse than Kolol Toure.

Allen certainly is not as good as Lucas in a deep role. But that probably isn't Allen's best role either. I think with the signing of Emre Can and the altering of how Steven Gerrard plays Lucas won't be a first choice for the next season.

Martin Kelly needs football. He might be better off sold or loaned out. I'd rather have an experienced 3rd or 4th choice defender in Kolo Toure than one who is injury both prone and has played most of his first team career as a full back.