What is the first World Cup that you remember watching?

I remember Italia 90. It's like the quintessential World Cup for me. Schillachi being amazing for Italy, Lothar Matthaus as the rock for Germany, Lineker's goals, Gascogine's tears, Roger Miller's dance, Platt's volley against Belgium, the loss in the semi-finals on penalties of course....

You could get Italia 90 Coca Cola Soccer Balls. We had one and I remember being away on holiday in the summer playing football with my brother in the huge garden where we were staying.

164993088_1e6656f856.jpg

I always feel like I remember bits of 90, but then I think that's probably just from that thing Paul Merton did years later...

So its 94 for me, mainly the final but for some reason I can clearly remember USA vs Switzerland early on, 1-1 with both goals decent free kicks. I think. I'm going to google now to test my memory. If this was one of those shit talking heads reminisce about things shows I'd say 'I remember Diana Ross missing that penalty', but I only remember that because its been shown repeatedly ever since.

My earliest World Cup memory was the 1998 one. I was 6 but I remember being in a bar on holidays in Tenerife watching England vs Argentina. Vividly remember Beckham's red card and all the drunk English fans tearing shit up afterwards.

I was aware that a World Cup was happening in 1994 (age 9) and that England weren't in it. Probably why I didn't watch it.

Euro 96 was my first proper football tournament and then for France 98 I even had the Playstation game and everything. :shifty:

• Like 1

I have sort of memories of Italia 90 but more the atmosphere than the matches. I can remember matches from 1994. I remember watching Ireland/Italy in my grandmothers house.

I have more concrete memories of 1998 because my interest in the sport was highest then. I can vividly recall a lot about that tournament. 10 year old me was not happy France won.

I don't think I've watched a World Cup quite as diligently as I did 98.

The qualifiers for USA '94 is probably the earliest I can remember. I remember the Dutch beating us when Koeman scored a free kick after he should have earlier been sent off for a professional foul >_>

I remember USA 94 being pretty fun. I remember Houghton's belter against Italy quite well.

I have vague recollections of us being on holiday during 94 and everyone piling into some communal room to watch a game, possibly the final?

And then in 98 I was off at some school camp and went on some orienteering thing rather than watch us lose to the Argies. Clearly my apathy for England stretches back further than I thought!

Oh, and 2002 I was on work experience and was late after watching us lose to Brazil since I guess everyone commenced their daily routine after it had finished and the traffic was murder.

98 for me.. reaching the semis, Bergkamp's amazing goal which is my favorite World cup goal to this day (followed by Gio in 2010 against Uruguay)

Also vividly remember hating Collina for a long time after he sent Kluivert off against Belgium.

I remember sitting in a B&B in England watching the 1994 World Cup. The main thing I remember is how sunny the weather seemed to be.

In America, not in England.

1998, I'd be 6 nearly 7 and I had that same PS1 game with Tubthumping by Chumbawumba being the theme for the game, Roberto Carlos scoring that amazing freekick against Scotland, Owen breaking out on the international stage, Bergkamp's goal.

I also had some weird frisbee thing from McDonalds that had the mascot for the World Cup on and it could stick on brick walls.

• Like 1