What is a five five goalie just sitting there? they have cschneidsnor nothing, I am sure paying an extra buck five to keep nothing well away from the nhl is worth it.

Well they could have signed a Ryan Miller for instance. They didn't just wake up today thinking "who is on the market? Nobody? Guess we pay Schneider then" - they could have gotten someone earlier.

So you give Ryan Miller six bucks for three years, and let Schneider walk? Is that you Mike gillis?

Well I wouldn't have given Miller six either. If i'm giving someone six large, then I don't really want to give them term, because then i'm sunk. Given a choice I'd have looked at Hiller or Halak as comparables there - went for less than 5 mil, and there's not a huge drop-off (particularly in Halak's situation) in performance. Fairly sure he's UFA status, so I presume I approach Cschneids early on, and realize it's going to take about six to get a deal done...so i'd go hard for Hiller or Halak, re-invest the relative savings and then I have Schneider if I absolutely must overpay someone.

Well I wouldn't have given Miller six either. If i'm giving someone six large, then I don't really want to give them term, because then i'm sunk. Given a choice I'd have looked at Hiller or Halak as comparables there - went for less than 5 mil, and there's not a huge drop-off (particularly in Halak's situation) in performance. Fairly sure he's UFA status, so I presume I approach Cschneids early on, and realize it's going to take about six to get a deal done...so i'd go hard for Hiller or Halak, re-invest the relative savings and then I have Schneider if I absolutely must overpay someone.

Who's to say that Uncle Lou didn't put out offers for the other free agent goalies? I mean, it was a week after free agency opened that the Schneider deal got done. I would be willing to bet that the Devils kicked some tires to see what kind of term and dollar amounts they would be looking at with other options before settling on the Schneider deal.

As an early birthday present, prospective other half only went and got me a Leafs jersey. A Phil Kessel Leafs jersey. A Phil Kessel WINTER CLASSIC Leafs jersey. Even though she's a dirty Red Wing. I have to marry her now, don't I?

I think she's telling you it's time to break up :shifty:

• Like 1

For those who don't have me on social media: We had a hockey game here in Perth last night (the best players were Andrew Gordon and Ian Cole) but I managed to win an auction for a puck signed by Nathan MacKinnon!!!

mack.jpg[

• Like 2

So Rangers signed Matthew Lombardi to a 2 year deal. If Healthy, he can be a speedy, 2-way, reliable PK'er. Lombardi is coming off a great season outside the NHL, but I'm not sure I understand this singing when their biggest need to is sign 3 RFA's and give some youth a chance to develop in the NHL. He's known for his speed which is definitely a thing Rangers coach AV likes.

With that said, it got me thinking, who are the 5 fastest players current in the NHL? (In no order)

I'd go with Hagelin, MacKinnon, Kessel, Grabner & Lombardi?

Lombardi was horrible with the Leafs a few seasons ago, but I'm fairly certain he was struggling through some injuries.

He's definitely a bottom 6 signing and his contract is cheap enough to bury, I don't think we needed him though.

I actually forgot to include Hall in my list somewhere.

I think I'd rank Raymond and Helm slightly behind the second group. Players like - Cogliano, Duchene, Erik Karlsson

Helm seems to have days where he's really fast and then when he's not using his speed much.

Edited by TGWL
  • Like 1

Signing him before arbitration means you still can do that. If they had held the hearing, he either gets a deal with a built in year of ntc, or leaves as a ufa. Signing him before the hearing means he is still movable.

1 year, 1 million, that's a decent signing. Leafs seem to be hoping that they're the team that was ten minutes away from beating Boston and 12 games away from home ice in the first round this year, and not the team that looks like bottom 5 in the league in advanced statistics with two epic collapses in two years. With their salary commitments over the next 5 years, they need to be right.