Superman 64 Discussion Thread

Benji

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...

• BATMAN!
    • LEADER!

Well, maybe I'm the only one who finds it ethically dubious to go to the CEO of a company to offer him a chance to spin a response to a report that there are problems in his company. Again, no one goes to the head of BP and asks them to put out a piece about how great oil is when there's an oil spill. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe Chris Roberts is a great guy, totally straight shooter, those whistleblowers who said bad things about his company are a bunch of terrible gamergoober misogynists or whatever. Who is to say?

In your opinion, what should Kotaku have done differently to be more ethical in that article?

Just as a question, did you even bother to read any of the articles, Skummy? Read the Kotaku article again. Something immediately jumps out:

Roberts told me

Roberts says

Roberts’ account 

Roberts said 

Roberts defended 

Roberts, for his part, argues 

Roberts said

Et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Might as well have just let the guy write a PR piece himself. 

Did YOU even read the Kotaku article?  Just doing a quick "find" search, I can find 6 times ex- appears in the article in relation to employees.  THey say they spoke with anonymous sources.  I'd read the whole article, but like hell I'm going to waste time reading about a game I don't give a crap about

So yes, the Kotaku article did speak to more then just the CEO of the company.  Listen, I know your a GameGater, and thus have an extreme hatred for Kotaku, but don't throw accusations when you did the same thing yourself

Edit: I was going to try and fix that, but fuck it.  I hate this editor...

Edited by Lint

Umm The Escapist piece went to print before speaking to the CEO. He then responded to the article with a written statement which they then dismantled and placed within their article (a massive no-no if you want to talk about journalistic ethics since they make it appear as if he was interviewed and potentially inserting context to his comments which was never intended). Their vetting of one of the 'ex-employees' was based on them having an entry badge/fob/card thingo, the CEO then posted a photo of his entry badge and it's just a generic card with nothing identifying on it.

All of this was following a hit piece previously published where all of their info came from a game developer with no ties to the product (beyond being a backer who demanded a refund, had zero hours logged in the game, and then gave them the wrong address to send the refund to).  

If this is what sterling journalism looks like then GG has really shit the bed. I actually thought it was the other way with GG laughing at how poorly formulated another article was.

Edited by Quom
  • Like 2

Umm The Escapist piece went to print before speaking to the CEO.

Without formulating an opinion either way as to who is more or less ethical in totality, this specific part is irrelevant/not indicative of unethical conduct (sorry to quote you in particular Quom, others have made this point too). They contacted him, the CEO just didn't respond before the Escapist went to print. This is not an uncommon occurrence in electronic journalism, and post-publication comments and edits are made regularly. It's not unethical, it's the "cost of doing business" in a 24/7 journalism world.

Edited by Plubby

Any more posts trying to derail or not really contributing to the thread, no matter your opinion on it, will result in punishments, none of you are funny, and Myke isn't that big, and Lineker is certainly not clever.

[/hypocritical corporate rich]

Any more posts trying to derail or not really contributing to the thread, no matter your opinion on it, will result in punishments, none of you are funny, and Myke isn't that big, and Lineker is certainly not clever.

[/hypocritical corporate rich]

I think you'll find I am quite big

• Like 3