The Simpsons

Lord Nibbler

Fox has officially renewed the show for a 24th and 25th season, according to The Simpsons' official Facebook page. Can't say I'm surprised.

I like 25. It's a nice, round number for the show to end with. That said, they can keep doing the show for 30 seasons or more and I'll be happy. I know it's not what it used to be, but I've never disliked an episode of The Simpsons--even the "bad" ones. It can go on forever and I'll never complain about it.

• Like 2

Yea, its on Fox's official site now, so definitely confirmed. Glad to hear it. 25 is a good way to go out if that's the last season, 559 episodes is incredible, for an animated series at that and considering I don't think the Simpsons has ever had more than a new half-hour episode each week all these years (plenty of multiple episodes on one night but just repeats and one new episode). That's why I liked the Simpsons Movie, it gave us more than 22 minutes of Simpsons in one showing. It could go on forever and it'd fine with me too

Oh, and "Lisa the Iconoclast," "Lisa the Vegetarian," "Lisa's Rival," "Lisa's Wedding," "Round Springfield," and most of all "Lisa's Substitute" are some of the best episodes that show has ever put on, so I won't hear a bad word about UGH LISA EPISODES.

Lisa on Ice?

Those were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Frankly, "Lisa's Substitute" was so good and so heartwarming that I don't give two shits if they keep making wretched episodes through the year 2581.

Guess the title of this thread can be changed now since its renewed through 2014

Edited by jth1981

Guest JukeboxHero

When I was a kid, my parents banned me from watching the show for a while. I told a teacher to eat my shorts and I mooned the neighbors.

The Simpsons needs to stay on forever.

Guest JukeboxHero

I agree. In any event, the show has had a profound impact on my life, especially back in the 90's. I don't watch it too much anymore, but it'll be a sad, sad day when it ends and I'll definitely try and catch every episode of it's final season when the time comes.

• 7 months later...

Over the years, very few shows have become part of pop culture like The Simpsons. It's ridiculously ingrained in a lot of us, in the phrases we use, and is arguably one of the biggest influences on american television comedy (and, to a mixed extent, global television comedy).

So I figured, "heck, why not a thread?" Because fuck you. That's why.

What things in your life do you find influenced by The Simpsons? For example, whenever anyone mentions salad, my instant reaction is always, without fail, that you don't win friends with salad.

If I see a hammock, I more often than not ask where they got it. It usually turns out they got it from Marie Ann's hammocks, down in the hammock district.

I'm a Simpsons fanatic. I have collected so much merchandise over the years, DVDs, CDs, TV Guides, toys, hats, shirts, pajamas, keychains, clocks, playing cards, stamps, lamps, books, license plates, stockings, board games, slippers, calendars, posters, blankets, costumes, masks, mugs, oven mits, bobbleheads, you name it (and I pretty much just did) anything with the Simpsons on it I feel I need to own, (yes that includes the Marge Simpson Playboy). I was the first one in the theatre when the movie came out and the last one to leave. There's so many great episodes to choose from, from Marge vs the Monorail to Who Shot Mr. Burns? to Flaming Moe's, Mr. Plow, Homer at the Bat, Kamp Krusty, The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show, Whacking Day, Krusty Gets Kancelled, Deep Space Homer, Bart's Comet, Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie, Lisa's Substitute, Bart Gets an F, the list goes on and on and I can quote so much from it, including a lot of the songs from over the years. While its certainly declined in quality over 23 seasons, I still can't resist watching each and every episode because its the freakin' Simpsons

Edited by jth1981

Growing up from Elementary to High School the Simpsons pretty much constituted the language between my friends and I. I mean even to this day when we barely have the chance to see each other as much as we used to, our hang out sessions are just littered with Simpsons references. Then, I was lucky enough to date and move in with a girl who pretty much did the exact same thing her whole life and now I'm right back into using the Simpsons like it's a freakin' language again. It's uncanny how many situations that you can apply to the show. And even though now I've accepted that after 13 there was a gradual fall off until the point where the show has bascially become "guest star of the week" now, I still love the show and there are more great episodes of that show than ANY other out there for sure.

I probably quote the Simpsons more often than I realise, especially in conversation with my brother. There's probably a whole bunch of quotes that I just do so often I don't even realise where they're from any more.

That said, we could easily quote the entire "Steamed Hams" skit from start to finish.

Also, recently saw the Kamp Krusty episode for the first time in probably close to ten years, and laughed so, so much at Kent Brockman's "I've been to Vietnam and Afghanistan, and I can say that, without hyperbole, this is a hundred thousand times worse than both of them put together".

There's probably a whole bunch of quotes that I just do so often I don't even realise where they're from any more.

Only yesterday I used "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"...and then had to Google it because I couldn't remember where it was from.

Why, only yesterday during Over The Limit where Big Johnny was limping out of the arena, I was thinking "He's very slowly getting away!"

(He's heading to the old mill!)