Ruki

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Steel is the single most abundant resource in the game besides maybe wood >_> Are you trashing all the useless stuff at new settlements.

Scrapped everything so if I want more steel I have to go to a location I've discovered but not cleared out yet, kill all enemies and then take everything. If I get something like 300 steel from that it won't last long though.

Have you done the tag for search ?? I needed copper and just tagged it so whenever I'm running around a little magnifying glass appears next to items containing it. 

I'm intruiged as to what you're building to be using so much steel.

The essentials for the "Benevolent Leader" trophy:

• A large settlement, most people go Sanctuary, but I prefer Starlight Drive-In as Sanctuary has Mamma Murphy and that Jun guy taking up slots but contributing nothing.
  • A radio beacon with power to bring people in, max people should be 20, but people have got the achievement with less.
  • Housing to fit at least 20 beds, not sure if more, but either way they need to be under a roof. Type of bed doesn't matter, I just threw down a bunch of sleeping bags.
  • None of your companions hanging about unless they can be assigned to shops/food, which many cannot.
  • Minimum of 20 water, just throw in the cheapest pumps until you hit it.
  • Minimum of 20 food, 20 mutfruit is the best way to do it as they produce more food than anything.
  • Put 3 people on harvesting food.
  • Make sure you have at least 40 bare minimum on defence, preferably more. Again, the cheap turrets will do they job.
  • You need the local leader level 1 perk and the bartering level 2 perk to max out your settlement, as aside from 3 people harvesting, all other people should be put into Level 3 shops, which you'll need a lot of caps for, so don't sell stuff until you have that bartering perk, just store it away for selling another day.
  • You probably don't need all 17 other people in Level 3 stores, but it helps.
  • Then once you're set up, don't leave, as it randomly drops happiness, just sleep for 48 hours and make sure your happiness has gone up (generally it maxes at 80 without Level 3 shops), keep doing so until you hit 100.

That's it, that's what you need. No need for special designs, no need for excess power, no need for excess food or water, just enough beds, food, water and defence, and a bunch of top tier shops.

For anyone starting the game (or part way through the game) and wanting to trophy hunt, this is the essentials to go into your character build if you're going for a relatively easy and fun platinum/100%.

• Lock picker perk is not essential, but can be useful, but you'll easily hit 50 locks in the game.
  • Hacking is also not essential, but it is a massive grind as they're rarer than lockpicks, so I'd suggest getting at least the first perk in the hacking.
  • Pickpocketing perk to be able to place a grenade in someone's pocket (though if you don't want to waste the perks on this, you can just save up two levels, then make a save before levelling up this perk, place a grenade for the trophy, then re-load from before grenade placement).
  • High charisma is always a great benefit, but not totally essential (though it will be needed for the local leader level 1 perk and the bartering level 2 perk).
  • Save before every decision that seems major with a full save (not auto/quick save), as going past some locks out trophy related story branches including... (minor story spoilers, spoilering just in case someone doesn't want to see them)...
Spoiler
  • The Precipice of War, as this locks out Brotherhood of Steel story trophy.
  • Mass Fusion, as your decision will lock out either BoS or Institute story trophy.

I'm sure there's others, but they're the only ones I can think of. You basically need one save for BoS, one save for The Institute, and one save for the Railway. I did all three and then went back to a save point before I ever made a decision, as having all three open is useful for obtaining radiant and misc quests.

Everything else should be obtainable just from playing, with varying levels of difficulty, but those are the essentials.

I'd also strongly suggest investing in luck for the Mysterious Stranger (purely because sometimes it's a free random kill, and it's always brilliant in the middle of a dangerous firefight to get) and Scrounger because more ammo is never ever a bad thing.

Oh, and never carry heavy weapons, give them to your companion to carry, they take up too much weight to bother carrying yourself for how little they're used, but they are essential at times (big fan of the minigun myself), and the Fat Man Mini Nukes should be saved for late game and/or giant enemies (Mirelurk Queens and Behemoths).

Oh, and also, don't ever set any SPECIAL as 10 unless you've already found the Bobblehead corresponding to that stat, otherwise you've wasted a perk.

Just now, Onion Apsham said:

I have a day and a half on this game and I still haven't gone to Diamond City. >_>

Only main quests I've done is the very first one and the settlement tutorial quest. I've just been wandering around and doing random brotherhood of steel side quests and clearing out buildings  

18 hours ago, Kaney said:

I've not been to diamond city either. I really wish you could turn off certain songs though.

Don't use songs, play classical music instead. There's something ridiculously epic about blasting away to ghouls to "Hall of the Mountain King" and creeping over a hill and accidentally coming up behind a deathclaw while "Mars - bringer of war" plays. Found it really adds to the experience!

2 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Do companions have quests or anything? Strong annoys me and I can't see the point of giving up codsworth when hes a free supply of purified water on the move.

They do indeed. You just have to get them to like you.

And you can take Codsworth with you?! Dammit!