Tennis!

sahyder1

31 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Djokovic-Norrie has just started.

Norrie leads the first set! If he beats Djokovic and then Kyrgios he is immediately my new hero.

Also, if Norrie wins here then we have two Wimbledon finalists from Africa (technically).

This final is like choosing between being punched in the balls or kicked in the balls.

Alternatively, like choosing between being given COVID by an egomaniacal asshole who doesn't believe in medical science, or physically assaulted by a violently unstable personification of toxic masculinity.

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

This final is like choosing between being punched in the balls or kicked in the balls.

Alternatively, like choosing between being given COVID by an egomaniacal asshole who doesn't believe in medical science, or physically assaulted by a violently unstable personification of toxic masculinity.

This is the experience I have with this. I like neither of these assholes, but am slightly behind Novak because I think a cunt like Kyrgios shouldn't ever have the honour of winning a slam.

Both as a person and as an athlete do I find Kyrgios to be everything I dislike. Novak I utterly despise as a person because of his science denying covid insanity, but can respect as the athlete he is.

It really is a choice between two terrible choices. I don't want my tennis to be like politics. :(

Anyways, Novak up 2-1, let's see we can avoid a 5th set and forget this final quickly.

EDIT: Well that's done, onto the US Open where we at least know Novak won't be welcome. Might become an interest tournament depending on how bad Rafa's abdomen tear is.

Djokovic acting like a martyr, saying he had to overcome the mental pain of his Australia deportation, is beyond sickening. He either lied about having COVID on his medical exemption form, or alternatively had COVID and knowingly went to several personal appearances with hundreds of fans. Either way, he deserves absolutely no sympathy.

• Like 2

• Lineker changed the title to Tennis!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's an almost incomprehensible stat as there are very good tennis players who will be in the US Open that weren't born the last time that was the case.

I looked it up - 2004 Australian Open (so almost a perfectly clean 19 years). Roddick was the top seed at that tournament. Federer won, and then became the forever world number 1 (until Nadal finally passed him like 4 1/2 years later).

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

I never would have believed back then that Roddick would only end up with one Grand Slam. It shows how strong the emerging players at the time became.

From a US perspective it was basically Sampras & Agassi passing the torch to Roddick who would carry US tennis and world tennis for a decade. And for awhile he was really the 3rd best player in the world but Federer and Nadal just immediately became so much better than him.

And since then the US hasn't sniffed having a top men's player.