Tennis!

sahyder1

Murray takes the first set with ease, winning it 6-1 in 23 minutes.

...and much of the same in the second set as Murray takes this one 6-1 too.

Edited by Starvinho

As I type this, Daniel Brands and Gilles Simon are locked at 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, 3-6, and currently 13-12 in the fifth.

On a day where it reached 43 degrees Celsius about halfway through the match, it's been over 4 hours on court.

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM

What's peoples thoughts on the heat? There's been reports of players and ball boys fainting, shoes and plastic bottles melting, and Jelena Jankovic burned her ass on a chair.

I would have thought common sense would have come into things but it doesn't seem so as they're still playing in record temperatures, Djokovic is saying that nothing will change until someone dies.

Yeah I agree, it's really bad that they're still playing in 40+ temperatures. Even if it's only taking off a couple of hours in the hottest part of the day for the outside courts and closing the roof on the others, something has to be done. 9 people retired from their matches in the first round, if that's not a sign that something's seriously wrong with how they're handling it then I'm not sure what is.

So he's got to beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic most likely to win the tournament? Bit of a tough one! I think he could topple Federer but not the others as well so soon after coming back. Good to see Dimitrov through to the Quarters.

Also, the women's draw is wide open with Sharapova joining Serena in going out. Well set up for Vika to claim the title once more .

Has anyone ever beaten Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in the same tournament? That would be some feat if he could achieve it. I remember Del Potro beating Nadal and Federer when he won the US Open which was a big deal at the time.

I did have a sneaky feeling that someone outside the usual top four would win this Slam, but I was thinking more along the lines of Del Potro. Great win for Wawrinka and a brilliant result for tennis overall, it's good to see someone step up and finally break the trend. Wawrinka will move up to #3 in the ranking too.