Tennis!

sahyder1

Anybody watching the Davis Cup Final then? It's 1-1 after yesterday, David Goffin coming from two sets down to beat Kyle Edmund, whilst Andy Murray saw of Ruben Bemelmans in straight sets. Murrays have just taken the first set in the crucial doubles tie against Goffin and Steve Darcis.

It is largely thought that if we win this tie, we'll win the whole thing assuming Murray can see off Goffin tomorrow in the reverse singles.

Entertaining stuff today. It's looking good for Britain now, but I wouldn't take victory for granted just yet. Goffin has a good clay court game, although Murray has the skills, and the advantage of having played fewer sets over the last two days, to come through. I'd keep Edmund in over Ward for the final rubber if necessary as I think he's the better clay court player, but I hope it won't come down to that.

Great win from Murray. I never thought I'd see the day when Britain won the Davis Cup, but here it is. Of course, the same old "Murray hates Britain" twaddle will continue to be spouted, but, as someone who unnecessarily risked his wellbeing on the singles tour to compete for his country, Murray deserves a heap of credit. I wouldn't blame him at all if he retired from Davis Cup competition now.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
On 1/19/2016 at 10:40, Adam said:

Looks like Lleyton Hewitt's Grand Slam career is set to continue to at least another match, he's two sets up now against compatriot James Duckworth.

He just got knocked out now by David Ferrer and is celebrating his career with his family on court.

I went to my seminar this morning fully expecting Murray to have lost (he was 2-1 sets down) and when I returned to the SU he was converting match point. Tremendous comeback in that case, and I will as ever get up to watch the Final on Sunday morning but I've never been less confident in him winning it. Purely because it's Djokovic on the other side of the net.

Murray will need to be near his best and Djokovic will need to play like he did against Gilles Simon for anything other than a Djokovic win, in my opinion. I really hope Murray can do it, but he's up against one of the best ever players, and someone who's also going to be less tired, having played a much less gruelling match a day earlier in the Semi-Finals.