Tennis!

sahyder1

Hate to be Almagro or Nieminen right now, rain delay while they're so close to beating Lopez and Rochus respectively

I had to fix it, it irked me. :shifty:

Missed most of Murray last night, I nipped out for an hour as they were starting and when I came back he was about 4-2 up in the third set. He utterly crushed Davydenko. Can't imagine Davydenko carrying on a great deal longer but we'll see. His best days are definitely behind him but I always enjoyed him because he was just a machine. Not a massive amount of natural talent it seemed, just mechanical movements of someone who has hit thousands and thousands of the same shot perfecting his technique - and as high as third in the world is something else. Obviously that is some time ago now and the new breed, like Murray, will have no problems defeating him, but still a shame to see where he is now.

It's less of a shame to see Andy Roddick struggle, though. And by struggle I mean get taken to a tiebreak but a Brit. He really is a moany little bugger and can count his blessings that he got a US Open win before the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic began to really perform more consistently. To think that is used to be Federer v Roddick countless times in finals on the tour seems so many moons ago now given how long Roddick has been largely irrelevant for.

In other news hopefully the suspended play means Stan the Man can come back and win against Melzer. He's two points away from being knocked out in the fifth set. Although given Stan's loathing of grass courts I'm surprised he didn't just ask to play on and let Melzer ace him twice. That man hates the grass.

Watson doing alright here, looks like she might be able to make the third round. She needs to make sure she wins this in two sets though, because if Hampton wins the second I can't see her making it up in the third set. Thankfully it's back to deuce in this game, if she holds and goes 5-3 I can't see Hampton coming back and winning four in a row.

Come on Sam. We'll gladly put up with all the tournaments when you make an early exit if you can do well in these situations (i.e. single-handedly stopping our country from being a complete joke at Wimbledon).

EDIT: Well, so much for that.

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM

Fish beating Ward, though Ward isn't embarassing himself.

Sara Errani is looking more and more like the next big thing in women's tennis though. QF in Australia, final of French open (and won the doubles), the only stumbling block she might have is Serena in the fourth round, but neither Williams is as good as they once were, even at Wimbledon.

Ward did really well, shame he couldn't quite win it in the end. Fish is a demon on serve though.

Kvitova is currently in the process of killing, tearing apart and eating Elena Baltacha. I'm not sure there's going to be any need to worry about missing the start of the Germany - Italy match.

I wouldn't say that pushing Mardy Fish for the majority of the game is "battered". Mardy always looked likely to win, but Ward definitely caused him problems.

Rosol is giving Nadal a nightmare here though, Nadal's just bumped him as they went for the changeover too.