Tennis!

sahyder1

You know that the state of women's tennis is horrible when Maria Sharapova wins the French and only drops one set in the whole tournament.

Actually I think it's very exciting right now and a hell of a lot more interesting than the men's side of things. Maria also played fantastic throughout this tournament and completely deserved to win it.

On the men's side you have three of the best ever competing at the highest possible level. Djokovic is going for 4 in a row tomorrow, while Nadal's going for a record breaking 7th French and Fed is trying to add to his 16 GS titles. On the women's side, Wozniacki fell off the map, Serena's getting old, Clijsters is going to retire in a few months, Venus should retire with her and a different person wins every GS. Sharapova may "dominate" now since there's really no one else out there with any kind of championship history on the right side of 30.

On the men's side you have three of the best ever competing at the highest possible level. Djokovic is going for 4 in a row tomorrow, while Nadal's going for a record breaking 7th French and Fed is trying to add to his 16 GS titles. On the women's side, Wozniacki fell off the map, Serena's getting old, Clijsters is going to retire in a few months, Venus should retire with her and a different person wins every GS. Sharapova may "dominate" now since there's really no one else out there with any kind of championship history on the right side of 30.

And that's quite my point. The men's side has three top class players who are simply leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. It's really a matter of preference of course, I just much prefer women's tennis right now. You also have talent such as Kvitova, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Lisicki etc who are still young with potential to improve more and more, while also still having the greats such as William sisters, Sharapova etc. I've just never got the idea that women's tennis is in a bad place and 'boring' as some put it (In fairness on the boring part, that's all down to preference).

It's not boring. There's just no one out there putting on consistently excellent performances. When "anyone can win", that's the definition of mediocrity. When it's not out of the realm of possibility that Errani won't win another match in a GS this year or that the defending Wimbledon (Kvitova) or US Open (Stosur) Champs are just as likely to lose in the first round as they are to repeat that's not a good sign for the game.

Sheesh, more rain than at Wimbledon at Roland Garros this year - meaning I probably won't see the conclusion of the men's final, which is a real shame as watching Djokovic and Nadal at the top of their game is one of the finest sporting spectacles there is right now. Without wanting to get too much into the who is better than who debate it's simply amazing that a once all conquering Federer had Nadal come along and steal his thunger, and now Nadal has seen Djokovic come along and dominate. There have been other extraneous factors such as age and injuries but for the most part they just keep getting one upped by someone younger and seemingly better. Will someone come and dominate over Djokovic shortly..

Sharapova was terrible against Zakopalova, but I've got to say I prefer women's tennis at the minute. It just is more competitive to watch, it isn't predictable and there are several very good players at the top end of the division. Kudos to Maria, she has worked very hard to come back from her injury trouble.

And so begins the grass court season, which is really just the "Annual send British players to the slaughter". Should at least provide us the joy of seeing Jo-Wilfried Tsonga diving around for volleys though, that's always fun.