Tennis!

sahyder1

What a year for Djokovic, is it the best ever?

If he wins the World Tour Finals then I would say he will have surpassed Fed's 2006 (92-5, 3 GS titles, lost in the Finals of the French, won the YEC and 4 Masters Shields) as the best in the modern Open Era regardless of what happens between now and then. Djokovic has already won 3 GS, lost in the SF of the French, but has a single season record 5 Masters Shields already and is 6-0 against a guy that used to own him.

• 3 months later...

I figured we could stick all tennis-related discussion in one simple thread this year.

Andy Murray has won the Brisbane Open today, a cracking start to the season for him and he can take some good momentum into the Australian Open. Be brilliant if he could win a major this year, but I still think he has his work cut out for him with the talent at the disposal of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer.

My predictions for the year.

ATP - Djokovic will win 2 majors (Aussie & US), Nadal (French) and Federer (Wimbledon) will win the others. Someone outside of "the big 3" will win the YEC. Murray will lose two more times in GS Finals, but he will finally win a set in a GS Final :shifty: Djokovic will NOT go wire to wire as #1. Nadal will end the year at # 4 as injuries continue to take a toll on him.

WTA - Mercifully the Wozniacki reign at # 1 will end to Kvitova by the end of the Australian Open. Caro will end the year with another 4-6 titles won, but ZERO Grand Slams to her credit. Two players will win their first GS this year. Serena will lose her temper, withdraw from at least 4 tournaments due to "injury", but win another Slam simply because the field sucks. Venus, Jankovic and Clijsters will retire.

I have a funny feeling that we'll see a different winner than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer in one of the Mens Grand Slams. It could be Murray or Tsonga or it could be someone way out of left field.

I think Murray's game will change a lot between now and the end of the year, and he may have a dip as he gets used to what will hopefully be a more positive style.

The women's game needs someone to come in and give it a lift - it's a joke that Serena Williams or Clijsters can be out for ages and come in and win with ease. Can't see where it will come from though - I'm sure we'll see lots of pretty faces and photo shoots but decidedly average tennis.

It'll be interesting if any of the Slams think about withdrawing equal prize money.

This is also gonna be the year where we see if Del Potro can get back to his best. He's been back on the tour for well over a year now and although wrist injuries are complicated, if he can't get his groundstrokes back to the same power he had before his time out then the chances of him fulfilling his potential are vastly diminished.

Hope to see Raonic or Tomic push for top 10 places this year. I've lost a bit of faith in Dolgopolov as far as really challenging for GS events in the future. He needs some serious work on his game if he's going to consistently win matches against top 10ers.

Murray starting this season as he ended last is a good sign and with his new coach to boot he stands a good chance in the Aussie Open. If he could somehow win it then who knows how successful this season could be for him? I really hope he can win a slam this year though, it's getting to the point now were I think even he thinks he'll never do it. His career deserves at least one major in my opinion.

Fuck it, I'm double posting. It's been like, 8 hours so it doesn't even count.

Clijsters has demolished Foretz Gacon to get into Round 3, already joined by Li Na, Hantuchova, Medina Garrigues and Benesova who knocked out 16th seed Peng. Berdych, Kohlschrieber and Anderson are all through in the Men's as well. I still haven't had a chance to physically watch any of this tournament though!

I just don't understand Nadal. The guy is always complaining about injuries and the season being too long, yet he's always entering events he has no business entering. He's like a successful male version of Wozniacki when it comes to wasting energy at minor tournaments just to make some extra cash/maintain ranking points.

WTA - Mercifully the Wozniacki reign at # 1 will end to Kvitova by the end of the Australian Open. Caro will end the year with another 4-6 titles won, but ZERO Grand Slams to her credit.

This! A million times this. On danish boards you get flamed to hell if you dare mention that she is a chokejob artist (over other things than Rorys club :pervert:) But im find it annoying to no end that whenrver tennis are in the news, then it is about "The danish world #1". Who, first of all is just as much polish, and lives most of the year in monte carlo and not paying any taxes. To top the rant off, i dont get why anyone would fancy her. :wacko: