Really solid trades by Cashman, I'm impressed to see that he can actually build a team using the farm system rather than wide open wallets for a change. For the most part prospects don't always pan out but if we can get atleast two of these guys to live up to their potential then the deals are worth it to me.

Poor Mets fans though, apparently you didn't re-sign Murphy because of this stud 2B Dilson Herrera but they deal him less than a year later for another lefty corner OF.

I could see Beltran retiring if the Rangers win the World Series.  When you're a nearly 40 year old ballplayer with limited mobility it'd be tough not to retire if you have a chance to leave on top.  Wouldn't mind seeing Texas win it all.  They're clearly going for it big time having never won a title before, and Game 6 of the 2011 World Series gave Game 6 of the 1986 World Series a run for its money for worst loss in Series history.

The Mets meanwhile traded Dilson Herrera for Jay Bruce.  Herrera was their prized second base prospect who Mets scouts called a future All Star and who was the reason Sandy Alderson didn't even try to re-sign Daniel Murphy.  All of that for Jay Bruce.  Fuck me with a pickaxe.  :(

Yasiel Puig's been demoted to Triple A. I guess right before the trade deadline he was told that if he wasn't traded, he was going to be demoted - and here we sit now, with Puig not listed on the active roster and Josh Reddick taking his place in the Dodgers' right field.

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

Yasiel Puig's been demoted to Triple A. I guess right before the trade deadline he was told that if he wasn't traded, he was going to be demoted - and here we sit now, with Puig not listed on the active roster and Josh Reddick taking his place in the Dodgers' right field.

And everyone in Atlanta clamoring to get him.

Riiiiiight.  Even with him in AAA, the asking price will be astronomical.

He was still hitting and fielding pretty good as far as I know. I guess this is one of those "he's immature / he's a pain in the ass" type of deals, and yeah, he's going to have a big price tag but I think if he can still put up good numbers he'd be worth it for just about any team that could afford him.

I do like that Ichiro is now one of the smarter-yet-chic choices you could argue for the MLB's greatest contact hitter.  Also, with A-Rod being shoo'd off into retirement by the Steinbrenners, Ichiro now becomes the only active MLB player with 3,000 hits.  Adrian Beltre will likely hit the mark next year.

• Like 1

Holy shit, he's 39. You're not kidding. I remember when he debuted for KC. Wow.

http://deadspin.com/espn-dipshit-to-english-speaking-ichiro-speak-english-1784977923

Good one, Todd Grisham.

Todd Grisham working for ESPN should know from just the basics of his job that Ichiro learned Spanish so he could talk trash with Latino ball players. Of course he's made an effort to learn English.

Also, Ichiro probably won't hang around much longer (though he could). Beltre has a few years left in the tank most likely and has an outside shot at 3500 hits, as does Pujols.

3500 hits for Beltre may be a bit too lofty. That's asking him to still hit 150 hits per year over the next four/five years. He's what? 37? I'm not saying it can't happen, but Father Time is going to catch up to him much sooner than later.

Edited by Meacon