5 minutes ago, Meacon said:

3500 hits for Beltre may be a bit too lofty. That's asking him to still hit 150 hits per year over the next four/five years. He's what? 37? I'm not saying it can't happen, but Father Time is going to catch up to him much sooner than later.

Hence why I said outside shot. He'd have to go full-on journeyman compiler for 2 or 3 years to do it. The thing is, the guy's defense is so good there's a scenario where teams will actually give him a roster spot even if he's hitting .220.

Pujols has a better shot at 3500 since he's under contract til 2021.

10 hours ago, damshow said:

Also, Ichiro probably won't hang around much longer (though he could). Beltre has a few years left in the tank most likely and has an outside shot at 3500 hits, as does Pujols.

He wants to stick around until he's 50.  I love the idea of Ichiro being the next Julio Franco.

• Like 1

I really hope Adrian Beltre continues to play until at least 2020 so that he can join the four decade club.  Only six players are still active from the 90s and Beltre is really the only hope.  A-Rod and Ortiz are retiring.  AJ Pierzynski will become a 40 year old catcher this winter and is terrible.  Bartolo Colon still pitching in the bigs at 47 would have been hilarious but he's said 2017 is likely to be his final year provided he meets his goal of passing Juan Marichal.  And despite his career resurgence, I'd be pretty stunned if Carlos Beltran was till kicking around as a 43 year old DH in 2020 given all of his injury history.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/194776282/prince-fielder-announces-playing-career-over/

Yep. His playing career's over. Nuts. Nuts to think he's only 32 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mets had a really nice come-from-behind win tonight.  Sadly though they gained no ground as the Giants and Cardinals each staged their own comebacks, the Cardinals' including a game-tying home run down to their last strike.

Glad the Mets have at least made it interesting and showed some resiliency.  I wish we weren't chasing the team that makes the playoffs every year and the team that gets a magic horseshoe wedged up their ass every even year, but it's still better than pointless games in September.

I would not be surprised if Tebow played in a scant handful of games just for the novelty of "Tim Tebow playing for the Atlanta Braves". Play an inning in the outfield, pinch-hit, pinch-run, something like that.

Anybody who actually LOLs a team for a minor league signing is a fucking moron, to be honest.  Especially the Mets.  In the last calendar decade we've gone through:

-Beltran's called strike 3
-Two monumental collapses
-A Ponzi scheme
-Oliver Perez
-Luis Castillo
-Tony Bernazard
-Omar Minaya calling out Adam Rubin
-Jason Bay
-Six straight losing seasons from 2009-14
-Three heartbreaking late-inning losses in the 2015 World Series
-Daniel Murphy going to the Nats and magically turning into one of the best hitters in baseball

A riskless minor league signing that nobody actually thinks is going to work out really doesn't seem LOLMets worthy.